PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a softmodded xbox with a bigger hd?

Mickey Juice
16th March 2008, 10:31 PM
Just a quick question...

I have a softmodded Xbox here (I didn't install it) and I have to upgrade the hard drive.

What's the best method once I've put in the new drive?
Slayers Auto installer says it can kill softmods if used.

Will this guide be OK?
http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-150.html

I read a few guides, but they involved sticking the drive into your PC to format etc I'm sure that method would have been superseeded ?

or basically... what's a recommended boot disc I can use to install a large HDD ?(and preferably install XBMC too... but that's not a biggy, I can do it manually)
Auto installer duluxe?

schmake
16th March 2008, 11:27 PM
With a soft modded xbox you will need to lock the HDD using a PC with ldots xboxhdm. You can't just put in a new hdd into a soft modded xbox.

If you have access to another modified xbox you could use the tute that you linked to, but it looks more convoluted than using xboxhdm.

I'd ftp all your files on both C & E partitions, and of course your eeprom (which you can back up a multitude of ways) from the xbox, and then create an xboxhdm disc containing those files. Then you can easily recreate the HDD with a larger HDD. You will need to check what softmod you have got installed, as some may not like HDD > 137gb

Mickey Juice
17th March 2008, 08:33 AM
OK thanks.

I'll try the Xboxhdm method. I'll have a chipped box in bits (I'm doing another one atm) but as you said that method seems a bit more convoluted.

XBOXHDM for dummies
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203286

schmake
17th March 2008, 04:47 PM
I just briefly looked at the xbox-scene tute and that looks nicely stepped out. Keep us updated on the progress :)

Mickey Juice
17th March 2008, 09:43 PM
I've read both guides and the afterdawn ones seems to be a bit simpler ie the XB-Scene involves unlocking/locking the original drive etc. Afterdawn uses exclusivly a new HDD.. basically the method you described:

I'd ftp all your files on both C & E partitions, and of course your eeprom (which you can back up a multitude of ways) from the xbox, and then create an xboxhdm disc

I've made a backup of the original drive via FTP. All I have to do is back up the eeprom. I'm going to try Slayers boot disc for that option. Sound OK?

schmake
17th March 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm not a Slayers Boot Disc user, however it should have the backup eeprom feature. I usually use Evo-X as its a small program and historically it was the first real dash replacement.

You can't get yourself into any strife unless you unlock your original softmodded HDD, then its time to install a chip ;)

Mickey Juice
18th March 2008, 10:18 AM
Groovy.

Just before going to bed (was backing up another xb over the network) I threw in Slayers and ran the eeprom backup (option 2) and it worked fine.

So tonight I'll make a boot disc and setup the new drive, then install XBMC.

Is the shortcut method the best way to have XBMC as the main dash?
I assume you can still run the M$dash with a softmod?

schmake
19th March 2008, 01:54 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by shortcut method. To use XBMC as the dash I'd just point whatever softmod you've installed to load the XBMC as the dashboard, and yes you can still use the original MS Dash with a softmod.

Goodluck and hope it all worked :P

Mickey Juice
19th March 2008, 06:23 PM
Sorry I meant using 'XbeShortcutMaker 1.0' to create shortcuts pointing to XBMC.

I successfully made the new HDD last night and just put it in now.
The only problem I've got is that some (original) games won't boot at all, which they do with the original drive. Any ideas? :unsure

EDIT: Fixed the non-booting problem. Just deleted the files in E:\Cache

Mickey Juice
19th March 2008, 07:49 PM
I installed XBMC fine.

Next problem is G drive isn't showing up :( I don't think the softmod likes it.

I threw on UnleashX and used the format tool for G: Drive but no luck :(

schmake
20th March 2008, 09:49 AM
It sounds like the softmod that you used only has a bios that recognises the first 137gb, or doesn't recognise a G: partition.
You will need to find a BFM (Boot from Media) Bios that has support for drives > 137gb and G:\ drive support and use that instead of the current bios that is loaded by the softmod. I for soft mods personally use Metoo-M8plus and don't worry about a G partition, just have the F partition take up the rest of the HDD