PDA

View Full Version : Gints is crushed, ****ing crushed

gints
6th March 2008, 06:03 PM
Hey all,

After having nightmarish picture problems (sync-wise) hooking up my PS2 to my old LAI cab, I concluded the aging chassis was the culprit and treated myself to a second hand (but near new) LS Sound 29 (GameDudes Super Neo Knockoff).

Finally got a second JPAC today to use the all ultimarc setup (with VID and Control converters), only to find the same bent, shaky, tearing, ****ed up picture.

The circuit they use is the staple one for the hobbyists (getting RGB, using an LM1881 IC to extract comp. sync from comp. video) then running through their Video Amp to take it from 1V to 5V (common hobby solution is 3 220uF caps on RGB lines).

With a new monitor, new chassis, new JPAC, it really only leaves their video converter as a culprit. Is it possible that the LM1881 IC has blown? As in before I even got it. Ooooh don't tell me I've bought a new cab and a $2 IC is the problem. ...though I love my new cab.

Any ideas guys? Im ****ing pissed. Oh dear im crushed.

David_AVD
6th March 2008, 08:50 PM
I think you should give up now.... and sell it all to me for $1.00 ! :lol
If you get a new chip and need it soldered in, give me a shout.

stu
6th March 2008, 09:04 PM
Post a clear pic of how you have it hooked up if you can.....i've made a few of these with no problems...

Or do you mean you are running some comercially made thing??

gints
6th March 2008, 10:19 PM
Yes I am running commercially made Ultimarc stuff, but starting to wish I just got a JAMMA fingerboard and did it myself.

The JPAC itself is basically an IPAC and a video amplifier routed to standard jamma, then the other side goes to a PS/2 KB connector and a DSUB pin.

Then there are 2 further products to adapt this 'mame PC' setup to a PS2 console. One of these products is a RGB/Comp/AV breakout cable: the RGB get routed straight to a DSUB, the audio is routed to a 3.5mm Jack, and an LM1881 IC is used to strip the Comp Sync. from Comp Video and is also routed to the DSUB (which then gets amplified to 5V on the JPAC).

At the end of the day, its just a pre-packaged version of the common solution. Now between 2 machines, 2 JPACs, I feel the problem must be in the PS2 video adaptor, and the only thing that can really go wrong (that would also cause syncing problems) would be if the LM1881 was rooted.

Will take photos soon, but you can see it all in detail on ultimarc.com

PS: Since you're in here David, what was that brand of soldering station you reccomended to me? Was it HAKO?

David_AVD
6th March 2008, 11:02 PM
PS: Since you're in here David, what was that brand of soldering station you reccomended to me? Was it HAKO?We all use Hakko 936 stations at work.

stu
7th March 2008, 12:37 AM
I see, well i can't really help you on that one. Have you trued emailing ultimarc? I heard they are pretty good on help service....

If it makes you feel any better, i purchased a commercial SCART synch splitter...and it does similar to what you describe. PIcture is all there but its all shaky....inside it doesn't use a lm1881 though, it uses a different chip. Ah well my home made job works fine :unsure

gints
7th March 2008, 11:58 AM
in talks with andy now and he is very helpful so hopefully we can sort it out. I am in class now so hopefully when i get home i can rinse it.