PDA

View Full Version : PC with MAme whats the lowest

jnaey
4th March 2008, 06:26 AM
whats the lowest I can go with a PC speed and Memory.. for mame to work...

I have a Pent 3 with 450Mgz and 256 Ram, seems like its too slow for some games to work...

Viper
4th March 2008, 07:13 AM
Now that I've moved your thread to the right section have a look through this section and you'll probably find your answer. Has much to do with what you want to play and what version of MAME. I recall Elvis posted a MAME benchmarking page around here somewhere that has the relevant info so go looking!!!

I have a machine with similar specs to that which you have and using MAME version 36 it plays pretty much all the old school games I want to play. But I'm old!

RetroGame
4th March 2008, 08:26 AM
Now that I've moved your thread to the right section have a look through this section and you'll probably find your answer. Has much to do with what you want to play and what version of MAME. I recall Elvis posted a MAME benchmarking page around here somewhere that has the relevant info so go looking!!!

I have a machine with similar specs to that which you have and using MAME version 36 it plays pretty much all the old school games I want to play. But I'm old!

Mame v36 final running under DOS will play mnay old school games like Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Galaga etc on a P1 166MMX. with 32Mb RAM

A PIII 450 will play games like Street fighter II and Metal Slug. With 64Mb RAM

Brad
4th March 2008, 08:32 AM
Yep and I got great speed even for NEoGeo games on a PII 266 with Mame 0.36

Brad

XiTaU
4th March 2008, 06:37 PM
if you want to run windows i recommend raine it plays 100's of games and requires a lot less rescorces then mame.

jnaey
5th March 2008, 12:54 AM
i forgot to mention that the desktop is running Window xp...

SectionZ
5th March 2008, 03:34 PM
Which video card are you using or is it intergarated on the MB ?

If it is intergrated it's sure to slow things down....

I use an old but still quite good Nvidia riva TNT2 Ultra, a better choice that you could pick up quite cheap would be a Geforce 4mx or similar.

I have a P3 600 in my cab and it performs well for anything pre 90's & NeGeo but some later games are very slow.

I have tried a p3 1Ghz but the later games where still quite slow, I think you would have to move to a P4 2Ghz to run the later stuff at decent frame rates.

I run V0.63 mostly & emu loader as my Front end. Later Mame versions seem to run slower as too does winmame.