PDA

View Full Version : GameEX - Windows 98 Crash

Lord-Data
2nd March 2008, 11:34 PM
Hi all. I've posted this over the GameEx forums, without much luck. I've got my mame machine up in Windows 98 (Don't even ask why nothing newer, i'm about to throw this AVGA thru a window!) finally, got gameEx loaded, everthing looks schmic. Until, I launch a game from gameEx. mame loads and starts running, but the GameEX process crashes with a GPF! All windows 98 jokes aside, anyone know a way around this? I've had one partially useful response from the official forums, but no closer to actualy resolving it. Wondering if anyone here has come across this and knows how to fix it?

Crash Result:
GAMEEX caused a general protection fault
in module USER.EXE at 001e:00003b01.
Registers:
EAX=00000ee0 CS=168f EIP=00003b01 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=17770417 SS=4fff ESP=000081d0 EBP=00738200
ECX=00010000 DS=166f ESI=00008200 FS=0ca7
EDX=00010002 ES=018f EDI=00000000 GS=0c7e
Bytes at CS:EIP:
67 66 ab 8b 46 e6 67 66 ab 66 8b 46 e8 67 66 ab
Stack dump:
d5bf0ee0 00000f0c 70340000 031f0042 00000257 d5bf0ee0 00000f0c 00000000 00000001 c2270021 00060000 168f2d8c bff714d9 ffff0187 0073e210 79ef018f

Link to the thread:
http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=5090

Thanks if anyone can help! :)

Foot
3rd March 2008, 10:29 AM
If you can, dump Win 98 and use a version of Tiny XP instead. Just as fast with MAME and a shit load more compatable with stuff like Atomic FE, GameEx etc.

Lord-Data
3rd March 2008, 10:38 AM
Well, like I said, long story..

I got my AVGA recently, and it came without driver CD. My plan was to use Windows 2000, since it was lightweight, fast and stable. Cannot get the drivers to load. Turns out the ones you can download from ultimarcs website are XP only, still waiting to hear back from Chris from Ozstick about a copy of the Windows 2000 drivers that should have been on the CD. so I figured, ok, I'll use XP. Reformat again, and install XP. Drivers are detected, accepted and load ok, thinking allright, progress! Only to find, hard lockup on first reboot. Every time. i can load them in normal mode, reboot, fail. Load in safe mode, reboot, fail. constantly. Nothing logged, no blue screens, no error messages, nothing in bootlog! If I boot in safe mode, disable the video card, reboot, up it comes again. So windows 2000 is no go until I get drivers, windows XP just locks up! :(, so leaves windows 98. This has at least managed to get the AVGA drivers loaded and functional!

All this on top of the fact there is an (unrelated) fault with the AVGA card that I'll now haveto send it back for repair/replacement, this isn't going too well :)

gameEX playing up on top of it all hasn't helped :) *grin*

Womble
3rd March 2008, 02:14 PM
If the OS crashes (both OSs) I would suspect the AVGA hardware problem is more of an issue than you think.

vocalninja
3rd March 2008, 02:21 PM
Have you dowloaded all the extra files on the GameEx site relating to windows 98?

Last I checked you need some extra bits for 98.

Are you using 98 or 98SE?

Have you tried tiny XP beast edition? I can mail you a copy if you want. Its a really lean and ideal for MAME.

felixthadog
3rd March 2008, 02:42 PM
Have you dowloaded all the extra files on the GameEx site relating to windows 98?

Last I checked you need some extra bits for 98.

Are you using 98 or 98SE?

Have you tried tiny XP beast edition? I can mail you a copy if you want. Its a really lean and ideal for MAME.

Can you e-mail me a copy? ;)

Matthew

vocalninja
3rd March 2008, 02:50 PM
Can you e-mail me a copy? ;)

Matthew

Tiny XP is tiny in name only. ;)

felixthadog
3rd March 2008, 03:04 PM
Tiny XP is tiny in name only. ;)

Oh :lol

Matthew

Lord-Data
3rd March 2008, 05:30 PM
If the OS crashes (both OSs) I would suspect the AVGA hardware problem is more of an issue than you think.
@womble: I believe it is driver issues on Windows XP, and Windows 2000 is only affected in that I do not have windows 2000 drivers yet. As I said, the card does have another unrelated fault, and is being sent back for it shortly.

The crash on Windows 98 is GameEx only, mame itself runs perfectly.

@vocalninja: I believe I have all the extras required, but I'll double check tonight just to be sure. It is Windows 98 SE, with all Windows Updates and latest drivers from manufacturers.

I would definitely be interested in this edition of Windows Xp if you don't mind, my email is vidguide@gmail.com

Thanks again guys for your suggestions! :)

vocalninja
3rd March 2008, 05:51 PM
If you guys are familier with torrents, please google piratebay.

Enter the site, change the language to english and search for tinyXP and download the torrent for "beast" edition.

Or pm me and I can mail you a CD-R.

Arcade King
3rd March 2008, 07:25 PM
If you guys are familier with torrents, please google piratebay.

Enter the site, change the language to english and search for tinyXP and download the torrent for "beast" edition.

Or pm me and I can mail you a CD-R.

OMG you're a PIRATE! :pirate::jump:

Lord-Data
3rd March 2008, 08:31 PM
Consider it queued :) we'll see how it goes .. my other project cab is going to overtake my mame machine in progress at this rate I think ;D I think i've reformatted that machine about 10 times now trying different OSes :)

@lien_Zed
4th March 2008, 09:19 PM
you can use nlite
http://www.nliteos.com/

and create your own custom windows xp cd in your own home.

GPF - general protection faults in 98

let me have a quick hunt and see what i can find for you.
usually gpf faults are not to tricky to sort out

i would check if you have all the nwest drivers installed for hardware including if you have a via chipset mobo that you have intalled the via chip set drivers.

also check the pc for virii

i found this, it may help
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1204626488317+28 353475&threadId=581508

May 5, 2004 15:47:38 GMT N/A: Question Author
Did what you said and now when the system boots up the message is still there plus I have Explorer caused a general protection fault in module USER.EXE at 001e:00003b01
Ramesh Pakkath Expert in this area This member has accumulated 1000 or more points
May 5, 2004 15:59:15 GMT 10 pts
Lets try these steps:
1. First use the Ctrl-Alt-Delete button to close down the Windows Registry Checker.
2. Then do a search on C: drive for User.dat file.
3. Normally you may find one in your profiles folder.
4. Right click on that and select Properties. If you do check the byte size, and if it is a zero byte file, Windows made a bad copy of it and wants to replace it but it cannot.
5. It already backed up a bad copy. So just delete it, or replace it with the one in the C:\Windows folder.

Lord-Data
4th March 2008, 10:11 PM
Well, I've certainly had more help here than on the official GameEx forums! :)

It looks like that reference to user.dat is actually a windowsNT feature, I searched for a user.dat on my machine, no matches.. No profiles folder either, I'm pretty sure they both came in with WinNT 4.x

Thanks for the idea tho! I'd much raher be running windows 2000 or XP! :)

Also, that nlite looks fantastic .. if only i could get the card to boot in XP at all.. Hopefully when I get the card replaced it'll come with a driver CD, and all will be well! :)

con
5th March 2008, 05:21 PM
If you have the revision 2 arcade vga, the Ultimarc video drivers are only compatible with windows 2000 xp etc i think.

If you do get win 98 driver i would also be interested in it!

Lord-Data
5th March 2008, 06:53 PM
If you have the revision 2 arcade vga, the Ultimarc video drivers are only compatible with windows 2000 xp etc i think.

If you do get win 98 driver i would also be interested in it!
I'm not sure if my board is rev 1 or 2, it is only new tho. Its a radeon 9250 based card, if that helps determine?

I got the drivers from:
http://www.ultimarc.com/avgadrivers.html

The windows 2000/Xp Drivers will not install on 2000 (no matching hardware), lock up on windows XP. The Windows 98 drivers load and appear to function ok (I can get the PC port up to 1024x768x32bit no problems), but then I get a crash from GameEX!

Interestingly, the drivers page there does say 9200, maybe it doesn't apply to the 9250?

headkaze
5th March 2008, 09:18 PM
I thought the responses you got on the GameEx forum were rather good. In fact the author made a few posts in there too.

Anyway, I just looked up that error your getting on the Net and read that this can be caused by a virus. So I'd do a scan of your machine just to be sure.

@lien_Zed
5th March 2008, 10:27 PM
It looks like that reference to user.dat is actually a windowsNT feature, I searched for a user.dat on my machine, no matches.. No profiles folder either, I'm pretty sure they both came in with WinNT 4.x

have you modifed the view so you can see all files???

windows has a default setting to hide system files and anything else a inexperienced person may delete that will cause the pc to go spazzo.

you could also fire up a dos prompt and do this

c: (enter)
cd \ (enter)
dir User.dat /s /p (enter)

this takes you to drive c then taks you to the root directory on drive c, then you do a search including all subdirectorys and search for file user.dat
and the /p command is a pause command so if it finds that many it fills the screen it wontl scroll past at a zillion miles and hour so you can write down where it is

Lord-Data
5th March 2008, 10:58 PM
Ok, correctiong to my above, there is a User.dat in my C:\Windows folder, no where else. This file is 50% of the registry, and cannot/should not ever be deleted unless restoring from a backup.

I'm pretty sure the above comments in regards to deleeting a user.dat from profiles directory applies to newer versions of windows.

I have indeed run a virus scan, no problems found, which is as I would have hoped, being a brand new install of Windows! (on a private and physically firewalled network)

I'm suspecting this may perhaps be related to my AVGA drivers, recent mentions of rev 2 of this card and the Windows 98 drivers not applying may be related. I'm about to try using the onboard video and see if I still get the crash.

I understand I've had SOME respones from the game-ex forum, but no luck in resolving the issue, every solution so afar has come up with no difference :) With any luck when I get my new AVGA, I get a matching driver CD and can run Windows XP or windows 2000 without any problems :) (I'm sick of seeing Scandisk at startup with '98 already! :)

Ok, followup, its nothing to do with the AVGA, even using onboard video, exact same crash when spawning mame. I'm now systematically trying different advanced options in GameEx, seeing if anything can make a difference!

Having toggled nearly every possible concievable option in advanced config, still no change! Its definitly a GameEx problem, as I've just loaded atomicFE, and it works flawlessly, as does mame by itself.

AtomicFE looks ok, but I do prefer the look of GameEx! :)

@lien_Zed
6th March 2008, 11:04 PM
AtomicFE looks ok, but I do prefer the look of GameEx! :)

GameEx kicks Arse!!!

Its even better when you get it registered!