PDA

View Full Version : AVGA - Windows 2000 Driver install

Lord-Data
27th February 2008, 02:41 PM
Hi all. I recently bought and received my shiny new AVGA card (AGP).

After messing with Linux for a few mins, and finally seeing the front-end on the distro I was using, I decided it wasn't very nice, and GameEX looked much nicer. So, back to windows I decided.

Installed Windows 2000, updated, patched, etc. Trying to load the AVGA drivers (I got no CD with my card, downloaded the 2000/XP drivers from ultimarc's website) results in no luck! Running setup.exe says no compatible card found, and manually loading the drivers says "the location specified contains no drivers about your hardware".

Interestingly, according to the install guides, windows should be seeing the devices as "Ultimarc" and "radeon secondary", however, my windows is seeing "VGA Compatible" and "VGA Compatible 2"

I've yet to try installing in safe-mode, as suggested on another forum, but wondering if anyone has seen this issue before? Linux quite happily detected and used the card in high res mode, so i know the card is ok.

The only other thought that occurs is, on the ultimarc install guides, it mentions running setup.exe from either the XP or 2000 folder, however on their website, they have only a single driver "XP/2000", with only one setup.exe .. Could this be an XP only driver perhaps? I've talked to Chris from Oz Sticks, and he is going to provide me with his copy of the 2000 driver, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks,

felixthadog
27th February 2008, 02:55 PM
I have an AVGA AGP card installed in my MAME PC and I recall when I installed it that I experienced the same issue, although I am running XP and not 2000. I followed these steps on the Ultimarc web-site and it fixed the issue:

"Windows XP may try to invoke the built-in Microsoft ATI driver and this will not work with the ArcadeVGA card, and causes a blue-screen error. If you see this, re-start and hold down "F8" and choose to start in Safe Mode, then install the ATI driver from the ArcadeVGA CD. To do this, you will need to enter device manager, right click on the expanded video card listing under 'Display Adapters' (or, the undesignated option, if the device has not been recognized at all, and has a yellow X next to it), click on properties, go to driver tab, and click on 'update driver'. This is the only way to install the driver in safe mode, as attempting to install via ATI's setup utility will produce error messages and result in a failure to install the driver. You will need to point the driver install to the correct location on the CD"

Matthew

Lord-Data
27th February 2008, 06:45 PM
Ok, confirming i think that it is the wrong driver version i've got. Tried in safe mode, exactly same result. Had a look inside the inf files, all mention XP. The ini file accompanying the setup.exe has HEAPS of 'modelines' under the XP category, and NOTHING under the 2K section, so i think despite the website saying 2K/XP drivers, i think they are only the XP drivers. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ozsticks about getting hold of some 2K drivers, then we should be in business! :)