PDA

View Full Version : Now have FM sound on My PAL Sega Master System

Roxbury
27th February 2008, 12:30 PM
For the Sega Master System enthusiasts. The Japanese Master system has a YM-2413 FM sound chipset not present in other Master Systems. Certain games take advantage of the FM chipset, resulting in better tunes. The programming for the FM tunes is present in FM enabled PAL games, but obviously as the PAL consoles didn't have the FM chip, you just got standard sound.

A guy at smspower has a bunch of FM modules he has made for both SMS 1 & 2. These can be installed in a PAL SMS to anable FM sound in the games that have it.

I bougt one for my original style SMS. It is fairly simple to install with 3 wires to solder and a capacitor to remove, although the SMS 2 version has 20 wires to solder.

So along with a 50/60 hz switch, I can now appreciate the improved speed plus improved FM game soundtracks.

There is plenty of info about this on smspower, easy to find, let me know if you are interested and need links though.

Berty
27th February 2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that Roxbury, this is one of the reason's why I have wanted a MarkIII over the normal SMS but now i can be a tight ass; which is more my style :D

Do you have a link?

Roxbury
27th February 2008, 03:57 PM
Heres the link to the post on the SMS Power forum where the guys is selling them.

SMS FM Sound Modules (http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10841&sid=c293f1123e7feba26bfa01c18b343ba5)

The guy is in Australia, he sent it out quickly to me. They are about $50 odd inc postage. Thus far the only games which seem to have a problem with it are Wonderboy III & Time Soldiers.

dezbaz
27th February 2008, 11:14 PM
For the Sega Master System enthusiasts. The Japanese Master system has a YM-2413 FM sound chipset not present in other Master Systems. Certain games take advantage of the FM chipset, resulting in better tunes. The programming for the FM tunes is present in FM enabled PAL games, but obviously as the PAL consoles didn't have the FM chip, you just got standard sound.

A guy at smspower has a bunch of FM modules he has made for both SMS 1 & 2. These can be installed in a PAL SMS to anable FM sound in the games that have it.

I bought one for my original style SMS. It is fairly simple to install with 3 wires to solder and a capacitor to remove, although the SMS 2 version has 20 wires to solder.

So along with a 50/60 hz switch, I can now appreciate the improved speed plus improved FM game soundtracks.

There is plenty of info about this on smspower, easy to find, let me know if you are interested and need links though.

Awesome, lots of global response hey!

Thanks mate!

Mickey Juice
9th June 2008, 12:53 PM
The guy is in Australia, he sent it out quickly to me. They are about $50 odd inc postage. Thus far the only games which seem to have a problem with it are Wonderboy III & Time Soldiers.

So it's always enabled? ie WBIII won't play properly on that console now with the chip installed?

Roxbury
9th June 2008, 01:44 PM
The unit comes with a switch, so you can toggle between use of the FM sound unit and normal sound. I haven't tested to see if WBIII works with normal sound while the FM unit is off though. I have several SMS units, so if a game doesn't work in a unit with a mod, I just use it in an unmodded unit.

MadMikeAU
9th June 2008, 04:29 PM
A little more on this : The MarkIII didnt have the FM chip. But it did have an FM module with the chip in it that plugged in.

The early SMS was fully kitted out with rapid fire, FM sound, stereo 3D all built in. These were taken out for the mass produced models. These early SMSs had the same cartridge slot as the MarkIII, which is narrower than the standard SMS slot.

In the early models, there is no reset button instead it says RAPID for fire.

Check out my site's SMS page for info on all the different models
http://www.gameinfoonline.com/sega/sega_sms.html

GameOn
15th June 2008, 07:03 PM
Not quite right...

The original Japanese system was the Mark III released in 1985 (basically the third version of the SG-1000 and SG-1000 II) which was backward compatable and offered improved graphics for the Mark III games.

In 1986 the Sega Master System was launched in the west and was basically the Mark III with a different cartridge slot and a funky new case.

In 1987, Sega released the Master System in Japan, and this was an upgrade to the Mark III and had the same cartridge slot and added the FM Sound chip, Rapid Fire and 3D Glasses ports and buttons to the unit. The same year they also released a FM Expansion pack for the Mark III. It's a lovely little machine. :)

MadMikeAU
16th June 2008, 01:45 AM
Not quite right...

The original Japanese system was the Mark III released in 1985 (basically the third version of the SG-1000 and SG-1000 II) which was backward compatable and offered improved graphics for the Mark III games.

In 1986 the Sega Master System was launched in the west and was basically the Mark III with a different cartridge slot and a funky new case.

In 1987, Sega released the Master System in Japan, and this was an upgrade to the Mark III and had the same cartridge slot and added the FM Sound chip, Rapid Fire and 3D Glasses ports and buttons to the unit. The same year they also released a FM Expansion pack for the Mark III. It's a lovely little machine. :)

YES, I am quite right...

Master System Model 2000 had the smaller MarkIII style cart slot and FM and rapid fire and 3D built in. That is why Japanese MarkIII games are marked "MarkIII/Master System" when the cart is too small for the later SMSs.

Master System Model 3000 onwards was the Mark 4 (all of these are marked M4 on their PCBs.) and had a wider, SMS-only, cartridge slot.

Master System 2 were the Mark 4 Junior (they all have M4Jr on their PCBs)

Megadrive was the Mark 5 (M5 on their PCBs)

The Saturn ended with Mark X business because it was no longer backwards compatible.

EDIT:

Added 2 pics. The first is the SMS Model 2000 and the second is the later cutdown model 3000-onwards (typically 3005 in oz)

Note the different cartridge slots. Also notice the Rapid button changed to Reset in later models.

GameOn
16th June 2008, 02:21 AM
Er no you said the early Master System, now as the first Master System was released in America first then the upgraded one (rather then the Mark III in a new case) was released in Japan a year later you are wrong to say.

The early SMS was fully kitted out with rapid fire, FM sound, stereo 3D all built in. These were taken out for the mass produced models. These early SMSs had the same cartridge slot as the MarkIII, which is narrower than the standard SMS slot.

As the Japanese Master System the one with the FM Sound, etc came out after the Western one... Just checked and the Gold Cartridges released all say Mark III didn't say Master System until games released in 1987 which also funnily enough had FM Sound. By this point the Mark III in a new case (the mass produced one) was already in shops for a year in the states and was having limited releases in Europe by early 87...