PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: The Next Generation Restore

Arcade King
24th February 2008, 04:54 PM
Well hes my current project and will be the most time and money I've spent on a restore so far.
As you can see from the pics just about every nut bolt and screw on the top of the playfield is rusty, this includes the metal diverter at the back left and both cannon chassis.
The playfield is in excellent condition except for a wear spot above the left flipper. The cabinet itself is in great shape with all decals looking good except for Picards face being ripped off on the left had side of the headbox.
As usual I started taking pics after I started stripping shit off but you get a idea how dirty it is.

This is what I've ordered and got now.
New nuts, bolts and screws from marco, also got new red posts and plastic lane guides.
New Cannon chassis(and cannon plastics) and diverter from RTBB, I also got the custom decal set and backboard decal set from Greg and also getting the headbox decals.
Sent the wireform ramps away to get rechomed.

Thanks to Tony for putting me on to a fellah who had a playfield in great nick plus a heap of other spares( plastic ramps, borg ship cannon gearboxes etc) so I'll be doing a playfield swap. It was pretty lucky he had the Alpha ramp as mine was smashed.
Savage has convinced me to to let him 2 pac clear coat the playfield ( see post below) which was done today, looks amazing.

I've basically stripped most of the playfield but have left the stainless ramp guides on and most of the under playfield wiring is in place until im ready to do the swap. I started to clean the original playfield but will wait until its stripped and will clean it up to sell.
I've taken shit loads of pics but I've just uploaded a select few.
First 4 are of the cabinest and condition of the playfield when I started stripping. 5th is the borg ship chassis after being sandblasted and resprayed. 6th is the playfield pretty much stripped except for a few bits.

Arcade King
24th February 2008, 06:05 PM
I spent a few hours cleaning the playfield I will be using for the swap and decided to give removing the mylar a go.
I must say it was easier than what I expected.
Tools
cheap arse dick smith 15 buck heat gun on the lowest setting
a pair of pliers
finger nail.

I first used my nail to get a bit of mylar up I could hold on to with the pliers, turned the heat gun on and gently lifted the mylar up. I found it best to have the heat on the side you are pulling the mylar up NOT the playfield side under it.
Was a piece of piss, whole thing took 10-15 mins.
I didnt have any Shellite to remove the glue (was unprepared) lukily Savage had Prepsol which we used to clean the whole playfield before clear coating the next day.

Arcade King
24th February 2008, 06:41 PM
First I'd like to thank Scott for talking me into getting this done and just have to say man you have the best Twilight zone I've seen.
First pic is of Burra inspecting the playfield ..**** knows why
2nd Scott wiping it down after we used prepsol to remove any mylar glue and generally give it a good clean before painting.
I didnt take a pic but before it was 2 pac'd Scott flipped over the playfield and gave the bottom a light sand so she looked smick.
3rd pic is of some ****ed up alien guy!
4th is of Scott doing the deed.....man is that shit safe to breath in?
last 2 is the end result..well it needs to be left for a week then a final coat applied but you get the idea.
There was a problem with silicone where the clear wasn't sticking to the playfield properly in some parts but Scott fixed this in the next coats, I will let him explain it in further detail because I was too busy perving on his mrs and not paying attention to what he was saying ;)
Big thanks to Scott for doing this for me :)

RetroBorg
24th February 2008, 06:46 PM
The clear coat playfield looks awesome.

Johns-Arcade
24th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Nice work Trav (and helpers!) That's going to be one very nice STTNG once finished.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

spacies
24th February 2008, 07:08 PM
**** the pinball, whos is that POOL!!!!????

Savage
24th February 2008, 07:13 PM
Nice one Trav lol..

Basically he had silicon on his playfield although we did use wax and grease remover, a lot must have been in the wood..
No matter after about 3 coats I then used anti-silicon special ingredient and flowed coated last couple of coats.

This is the end result, is hard to get a good picture outside to show reflection..
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/Savage-SS/Arcade%20-%20Glen/STTNG%20Pinball/DSC00310.jpg?t=1203840668

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/Savage-SS/Arcade%20-%20Glen/STTNG%20Pinball/DSC00311.jpg?t=1203840669

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/Savage-SS/Arcade%20-%20Glen/STTNG%20Pinball/DSC00312.jpg?t=1203840669

Arcade King
24th February 2008, 07:16 PM
mmmm special ingredient! looks AWESOME!!!!!!

spacies
24th February 2008, 07:21 PM
Sure is purdy.
Is that a 2k clear?

acejas
24th February 2008, 07:49 PM
looks bloody sweet that coat!! Boys were busy by the looks of it. Look forward to teh rest of the restore

stuba
24th February 2008, 08:03 PM
nice work trav. it might be early to call but it looks like you are crossing to the dark side - selling your cabs and restoring and shopping pins. even your photos are improving. cheers! and looking forward to seeing the finished product. hope you can remember where all the bits go:D

Savage
24th February 2008, 08:35 PM
**** the pinball, whos is that POOL!!!!????
lol... That would be mine, cave and waterfall with beach outs.. Dog loves it..

mmmm special ingredient! looks AWESOME!!!!!!

I think we added a touce of beer, well Richard did when you weren't looking :D

Sure is purdy.
Is that a 2k clear?

It sure is, and Aussie Hardner to boot..

dj10555
24th February 2008, 10:46 PM
Work of Art!

Foot
24th February 2008, 10:47 PM
Nice works guys :118:, if it turned out like Scott's other work you'll be happy Trav.

Good going getting the mylar off as well. I have developed a hate for the shit myself.

I will have to try out the clear coating thing myself one day soon after I finish a tonne of touch ups

Whens the first session happening? :D

Darksoul
24th February 2008, 11:14 PM
Beautiful

:sm1::sm1::sm1:

WOKA
24th February 2008, 11:27 PM
Looks spectacular..!

Skybeaux
25th February 2008, 07:37 AM
Excellent job, looks fantastic.:023:

Star Treks a great game!!

Crafty
25th February 2008, 09:31 AM
Very nice job. Great photo's...

hamish_nz
25th February 2008, 11:55 AM
fantastic !!!!!! what a difference

LOTR4U
25th February 2008, 12:40 PM
pffft waste of money! ;)

Your coin box lid aint even chromed :badgrin

steptoe
25th February 2008, 04:45 PM
i got stuck at Craftys avatar ffs, i was waiting for the end, :D

Looks sweet, and the pool looks awsome

Greg
26th February 2008, 10:14 AM
Looks spectacular..!

would have to agree with Woka
very nice indeed, there nothing better in the morning than the smell
of freshly sprayed 2 Pac

LOTR4U
26th February 2008, 10:24 AM
Seriously speaking I think it looks just as good as any of the yank jobs I have seen if not better! :D

I would luv to do the same but its daunting thinking about putting it all back together. :cry

Arcade King
26th February 2008, 07:09 PM
nice work trav. it might be early to call but it looks like you are crossing to the dark side - selling your cabs and restoring and shopping pins. even your photos are improving. cheers! and looking forward to seeing the finished product. hope you can remember where all the bits go:D

Yeah want to sell more cabs but getting decent money for them is another matter.
I wonder why the photos are improving ;)

Whens the first session happening? :D
one day :p

Your coin box lid aint even chromed :badgrin

Don't worry it will be soon ;)

LOTR4U
26th February 2008, 07:34 PM
Don't worry it will be soon ;)

Oyeah... well I am going to chrome my lock barrels and keys then :badgrin

Arcade King
26th February 2008, 08:48 PM
Just replaced both cannon chassis with nice non rusty new ones I got from RTBB. Even put nice new screws on them...oooh ahh. BTW a pain in the arse to do because you have to desolder everything to move over to the new chassis.

Arcade King
29th February 2008, 11:12 PM
Did the custom backboard decal today...what can I say i suck at putting decals on lol but it looks ok. A few tiny air bubbles here and there..maybe i should have used the "wet" method?

First pic is it on, second cut out the holes, third is on the old playfield to get a idea what she will look like.
That blue spatula thing you get with it is handy..

PS: yes the washing machine is my workbench ;)

Savage
29th February 2008, 11:53 PM
Did the custom backboard decal today...what can I say i suck at putting decals on lol but it looks ok. A few tiny air bubbles here and there..maybe i should have used the "wet" method?

First pic is it on, second cut out the holes, third is on the old playfield to get a idea what she will look like.
That blue spatula thing you get with it is handy..

PS: yes the washing machine is my workbench ;)

Does that one light up?.. Now go and wax the backboard!

Arcade King
2nd March 2008, 10:22 AM
Does that one light up?.. Now go and wax the backboard!

WTF wax? Scot you reckon I should bother waxing the Playfield?

Heres a few pics of the WIP of the playfield swap, I have HEAPS of pics but can only fit 6 attachments on here at time.
BIG cheers to Woka for helping me yesterday, couldn't have done this without him. Woka marked out where everything went on the old playfield, after we took it out and put the new one in we perced the old PF up on a arcade machine so we could see where everything went.
Last pic is where I was at 10 pm last night, got all the woring back in underneath..well most of it.... currently rebuilding the pop bumpers.

Arcade King
5th March 2008, 10:08 PM
Just a quick update to my progress over the last few days..and nights.

I've pretty much got all the under the playfield things done, just a few things to go like put the subway back on and put the new diverter in the top left.
I've completely rebuilt the pop bumpers and flippers. Reassembled the cannons, put all the custom decals on.. well just look at the damn pics.
Not too much more I can do at this point, I can't put the Borg ship, Alpha and Beta ramps on until I get the wire form ramps back from Mark.
I really need to track down some new apron decals, both aprons I have the paint is bubbling and lifting :(

WOKA
6th March 2008, 12:10 AM
well just look at the damn pics

And look at the damn shine...! Pic 2 on the flippers really gives you an idea of the superb cloear coat job undertaken..

Savage
6th March 2008, 07:45 AM
Looking good!..
Never played A STTNG but won;t be long by the looks of things.
Yep best thing too Woka no need for Mylar!

con
6th March 2008, 03:17 PM
hey AK congrats on the resto your doing.

I have played this pin a great deal and can say that it is very underated and does have a great rule set. Play becomes rather involving. I actually prefer this pin over TZ and IJ.

Most people call this pin a drain monster, the outanes can be tough not the mention the drain straight down the middle. I tend to disagree. This is where the art of nudging etc comes into play. Not a pin for your average player!

LOTR4U
6th March 2008, 04:30 PM
hey AK congrats on the resto your doing.

I have played this pin a great deal and can say that it is very underated and does have a great rule set. Play becomes rather involving. I actually prefer this pin over TZ and IJ.

Most people call this pin a drain monster, the outanes can be tough not the mention the drain straight down the middle. I tend to disagree. This is where the art of nudging etc comes into play. Not a pin for your average player!

I don't know dude, it rates highly I thought? :unsure

http://www.pinballreviews.com/srev.htm

"killer game"

I was going to buy 1 but am happy I didn't. Not for me tho

DKong
6th March 2008, 06:52 PM
Looking great! Only played the game a couple of times, years ago and liked it.

Arcade King
6th March 2008, 07:24 PM
Funny thing is I've never even played this game lol, this is my fourth pin to work on, Roadshow was the most annoying specially Teds head :x
Star Trek needs the most attention, this one will be a keeper for sure.

Foot
6th March 2008, 08:03 PM
Funny thing is I've never even played this game lol..

Boldly going where no Arcade King has gone before.......

LOTR4U
6th March 2008, 08:05 PM

ROFL gold! :lol

DKong
6th March 2008, 08:11 PM

that cracks me up aswell :lol and he as been getting rid of a few Video Machines lately .
Looks like you have a Midas touch for the Pin's AK first a Roadshow and now Sat Trek next Generation, bet you end up with a MM next
the tide has turned

WOKA
6th March 2008, 09:12 PM
You really think the tide will turn to the extent that AK gets a Cookie Cutter..!

LOTR4U
6th March 2008, 09:13 PM
You really think the tide will turn to the extent that AK gets a Cookie Cutter..!

narr he wouldn't :lol

Arcade King
6th March 2008, 09:25 PM
Nah I think STTNG is as CCC as it gets for me.

Just put the subway on and the 3 kick out things connected to it...**** the PF is heavy now.

Backyarder tip of the day

I've noticed the subway has a weak spot where the plastic cracks. I can safely say this is a design fault because I've seen a few of these with the same cracks in the same spot.

Instead of cleverly using electrical tape as I've seen done or glue. I thought of a better way to permanently fix the problem....dig into the sons Meccano set and steal some bits to make a brace :redface...works great..but don't tell him ;)
If they put the top lip all the way around it would have never of cracked to begin with :rolleyes
Only thing missing is the large diverter on the bottom left which I will put back once I fond my allen keys to replace it lol

DKong
6th March 2008, 09:58 PM

Maybe he is getting close to the oven

Arcade King
24th March 2008, 11:49 AM
Haven't been able to do much still waiting for my wireforms to come back so I over the last few days I've been scanning vectorising the apron decals. I can't buy these new anywhere so I'm making my own.
Attached pic is a example of one of the 5 which was by far the hardest to do.
I couldn't get a good scan of the enterprise so I ended taking a high res picture with a camera and doing the Enterprise separate and adding it in later. Took quite a few hours to complete the ship hard, annoying, boring.
I'm just not sure on the colours, I used the eyedropper to pick some silvers and golds out but wont really know what I'll be happy with until I can print some samples out. (Tried to but the colour is phoobed in my printer)
Last shot is one I printed out to see how the size looks, those stars were a prick to do specially when vectoring so it can just stay that way.
I think it will look great.

LOTR4U
24th March 2008, 12:06 PM
I ****ing like it! :D nice job!

spacies
24th March 2008, 12:22 PM
I agree, very nice mate.
Hold on to that file, it might make you rich! LOL.

Vectorizing can be a pain in the butt. Actually, vectorizing IS a pain in the buut. But worth it in the end.

Arcade King
24th March 2008, 12:37 PM
I was pretty lucky to find all the fonts I needed on the web too :D

Savage
24th March 2008, 02:22 PM
Did you end up vectorising the Enterprise decal (one shown in your post) if so, great work!...

Only the stars look a bit elongated.. Other wise great

Greg
24th March 2008, 04:52 PM
the text needs to be ajusted, but shes looking good Travis

Arcade King
24th March 2008, 06:01 PM
Did you end up vectorising the Enterprise decal (one shown in your post) if so, great work!...

Only the stars look a bit elongated.. Other wise great

yeah like I said I ended up taking a high res photo and doing the Enterprise separate and cut and pasting it in later, it was so much easier having a massive blown up shot of the Enterprise to work on than trying to work from the blurry scan, no matter how many times I tried to scan it it always came out ****ed.. Great thing with vectors is I could resize the ship without losing any detail.
The stars are a pain in the arse, its not like you can just use the pencil or spray brush tool to add them in. I just used the Ellipse Tool to make them, not many of the stars I would consider circular.
You cant really see in the attachment but theres are a lot of faded stars you cant see and it looks like when they did it somebody took a paint brush and just flicked the paint down to make the effect.

Heres another one I just went back and did some touch up to including the stars, I think I'll go back and try redo the stars a bit on the Enterprise one but do keep in mind these pics are really low def compared to the scans I took at 600DPI and don't really show the wonkyness of the original star "splats".

Arcade King
24th March 2008, 06:02 PM
the text needs to be ajusted, but shes looking good Travis

Which text is that Greg?

Arcade King
29th March 2008, 11:44 AM
Decided to do 1 full decal to keep the colours consistent ( specially the back background). If I did each one individually and tried to cut them myself I know I'd end up with crappy looking jagged edges and the black powder coating not matching the decals black. The original is screen printed anyway.

I went back and redid the stars on 2 of the sections and final touches on other stuff. I reckon its going to look sweet.
These pics are scaled right down screen shots but it gives you a idea.
I scanned the full apron in 3 sections this morning so I could position the bits exactly where the should go.

Davefjedi
29th March 2008, 11:51 AM
Mate you have the patience of a saint

Foot
29th March 2008, 12:12 PM
Mate you have the patience of a saint

And that's where the comparisons should finish :D

LOTR4U
29th March 2008, 01:02 PM
Looking nice Trav.

Savage
29th March 2008, 01:15 PM
Looking nice Trav.

So too your pinny!

LOTR4U
29th March 2008, 01:24 PM
So too your pinny!

I am trying to convice trav to nikal plate his lockdown bar mechanism etc so they look like new. Chrome looks too pimp for Trav but nikal looks better then a new part!

Savage
29th March 2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I didn't do that on mine, but easy to do afterwards.
I too would nickel plate of Chrome, for me Chrome is a bit much..

Or even just sand it down, I did that with my con box lids, then wiped it down with CRC to stop any corrosion, looks factory new..

Arcade King
29th March 2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah I'm not really fussed on chrome myself, it looks good but I'm worried it will end up just being more maintenance down the track than its worth.

My goal is just to restore this machine to 100% and make sure it stays that way for many moons to come.

LOTR4U
30th March 2008, 04:18 AM
Yeah I'm not really fussed on chrome myself, it looks good but I'm worried it will end up just being more maintenance down the track than its worth.

My goal is just to restore this machine to 100% and make sure it stays that way for many moons to come.

chrome I agree is abit over the top, but I want my machine to be "show" like.

However, I will send some pics of the other parts which is nickal plated look like brand new parts and seals the surface.

Now I found a really cheap place, it is easier cleaning them up and paying a couple of bucks for the finsh then me wasting time with cleaners and polishers.

Burra749
30th March 2008, 06:33 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Pinball-Ship-Upgrade-Kit_W0QQitemZ170206003462QQihZ007QQcategoryZ13727Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Pinball-Cabinet-Decals_W0QQitemZ170205989872QQihZ007QQcategoryZ137 27QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mickey Juice
7th April 2008, 12:01 PM
Nice work with the restore so far!
You work faster than me with the restores!

Arcade King
7th April 2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks mate, yours was much harder though.
its pretty much all together and have been playing it, I wasn't happy(replace wasnt happy with horrified) with how 2 of the ramps came out after being rechromed so I'm waiting to put up final pics until thats rectified.
I have put some nice new stainless ramp flaps on it from pinbits and I got some flipper opto boards from Boxerdog..sorry guys they really dont change the feel of the game for me :p
I'm getting the head box decals from Greg and thats about all that needs to be done.
Only downside to stainless ramp flaps is they dint easily, I would prefer the spring steel ones if they were available.

domehead
7th April 2008, 07:33 PM
what was wrong with the ramps?

Arcade King
7th April 2008, 07:34 PM
look at the pics mate, they look furry and ****ed.

WOKA
7th April 2008, 07:54 PM
There is more fluff on those ramps than there is on AK's chin..

Davefjedi
7th April 2008, 08:51 PM

AINT DAT DA TRUTH:badgrin

David_AVD
7th April 2008, 09:43 PM
So we'll have to call him "The Fluffinator" from now on? :lol

domehead
7th April 2008, 09:48 PM
look at the pics mate, they look furry and ****ed.

sorry didnt see the pics, what a bodge job

LOTR4U
7th April 2008, 10:15 PM
sorry didnt see the pics, what a bodge job

makes my chroming look ****in sweeeet. :lol surface MUST be prepared before chroming or it is going to end in tears.

Pinball Warehouse
7th April 2008, 10:32 PM
Man did you try chroming that yourself, under the house in the wash tubs.
What a mess.

AskJacob
7th April 2008, 10:52 PM
That chrome makes me feel better about my dirty, corroded IJ wireforms :badgrin

Not that better = ok ... I still feel sad about mine... no sign of gold, plenty of signs of rust :confused:

Had to laugh about the opto comment for the flippers... Trust me, some part of your soul feels better that the micro switches are gone :lol

But if you don't want those optos, my IJ would love 'em (joke... but seriously... :) )

bwodie
12th April 2008, 10:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Pinball-PLAYFIELD-APRON_W0QQitemZ190213406407QQihZ009QQcategoryZ1372 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
if your interested mate
theres a peice of art on one of his pics that looks familiar ;)

LOTR4U
12th April 2008, 10:27 PM
That chrome makes me feel better about my dirty, corroded IJ wireforms :badgrin

Not that better = ok ... I still feel sad about mine... no sign of gold, plenty of signs of rust :confused:

Had to laugh about the opto comment for the flippers... Trust me, some part of your soul feels better that the micro switches are gone :lol

But if you don't want those optos, my IJ would love 'em (joke... but seriously... :) )

need any chroming done? :unsure I am dropping shit off on Monday? :unsure

Strangeways
11th June 2008, 11:50 AM
WOW - Super Restore Travis...

That playfield clearcoat looks great...

Keeps the updates coming...

Arcade King
11th June 2008, 07:10 PM
Updates are sort of on hold atm Nino, had a few disasters which has made me lose some interest.

Arcade King
20th July 2008, 02:03 PM
bit of an update, painted the headbox and applied the decals today, I think it came out great.
Thanks to Metalskin for lending a hand while he was here.

Foot
20th July 2008, 04:47 PM
Looks nice. Did you apply wet or dry?

Arcade King
20th July 2008, 05:02 PM
dry, wasnt exactly a large decal.

Strangeways
20th July 2008, 05:09 PM
Looking good Travis.. :)

narf_
20th July 2008, 05:19 PM
nice work trav

pinball god
20th July 2008, 05:30 PM
A1 effort!!!

I did my whole ToM but used the wet technique. It's much easier to apply the decals but you do need another person IMO.

The wet approach enables you to move the decal around until you have it just where you want it. I didn't even dismantle my machine, just removed the necessary bolts for each stage, no removal of headboard or anything.

Arcade King
20th July 2008, 05:55 PM
A1 effort!!!

I did my whole ToM but used the wet technique. It's much easier to apply the decals but you do need another person IMO.

The wet approach enables you to move the decal around until you have it just where you want it. I didn't even dismantle my machine, just removed the necessary bolts for each stage, no removal of headboard or anything.

I agree, if i was doing a large cab decal by myself I would use the wet method.
Application this way took a few goes to get rid of the air bubble's but we eventually got it.

LOTR4U
20th July 2008, 05:57 PM
I agree, if i was doing a large cab decal by myself I would use the wet method.
Application this way took a few goes to get rid of the air bubble's but we eventually got it.

If you did the wet method you would have only had 1 side. Because from what I am told you need to leave it then for days to dry before turning over :unsure

Arcade King
20th July 2008, 06:06 PM
id be in no hurry ;). ill be doing the full cab on my funhouse if and when i can get hold of some decals.

spacies
20th July 2008, 07:09 PM
If you did the wet method you would have only had 1 side. Because from what I am told you need to leave it then for days to dry before turning over :unsure

Did you read that on RGP? LOL.

****ing Americans have no idea.

Signwriters (yes, the people who print these things) use the wet method more than dry. Why? Because if they **** it up it costs them money.

Come on guys. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I bet those that said what Ryan read have never even tried it and are assuming.
Didn't you Pappy tell you assumption is the mother of all **** ups?

You see this:

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/320851111.jpg

FULL decals done by myself and with the wet method. There is no curling, no lifting, no bubbles, no nothing 'cos its done properly.
I did 1 side, turned it over and lay it on the side just done :o and did the other.

I would challenge any of you to do those dry by yourself and get the PERFECT finish that SI has. Especially with the medium I use which has a high tack. You don't get a 2nd chance with this, you **** it up and its over.

Now Mary pull you pants up and get the **** out of dodge.

Creech
20th July 2008, 07:29 PM
If you did the wet method you would have only had 1 side. Because from what I am told you need to leave it then for days to dry before turning over

LOL! :lol:lol:lol PWNED!

retropin
20th July 2008, 10:20 PM
Well,

I AM a signwriter - dry application for small stuff. Wet for everything else.
You go in dry - you gamble. Simple

acejas
20th July 2008, 10:27 PM
Well,

Well said and sums it up nicely

spacies
21st July 2008, 07:15 AM
Well,

Well there ya go.
Seems once somebody reads something on RGP/RGVAC it becomes Gospel.
Or if a resto demi-god does it dry, then that is the ONLY way to do it.

WATER DOES NOT AFFECT THE ADHESIVE. 'nuff said.

I would like to see some really detailed photos taken along the cabs sides of dry method done by some restorers. I bet they are far from perfect.

LOTR4U
21st July 2008, 09:46 AM
LOL! :lol:lol:lol PWNED!

Its not even remotely funny when you say it. :lol

Signwriters (yes, the people who print these things) use the wet method more than dry. Why? Because if they **** it up it costs them money.

Come on guys. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I bet those that said what Ryan read have never even tried it and are assuming.
Didn't you Pappy tell you assumption is the mother of all **** ups?

You see this:

FULL decals done by myself and with the wet method. There is no curling, no lifting, no bubbles, no nothing 'cos its done properly.
I did 1 side, turned it over and lay it on the side just done :o and did the other.

I would challenge any of you to do those dry by yourself and get the PERFECT finish that SI has. Especially with the medium I use which has a high tack. You don't get a 2nd chance with this, you **** it up and its over.

Yeah I have seen that image a million times since you pimp it over and over again. :lol

Also, how many decals have you applied to a Pinball? :unsure

I dunno but I have a nice CV with nice new decals that were applied using the dry method and while it was done seen a Black Knight, MM and White Water ALL done using that same method. None lifting none bubbling.

So what you mean to say is, after the decal is applied wet, Just flip it straight over and do the other side? :unsure .... um yeahh right.

From that advice I can see the decal move out of place from glue not being activated.

narf_
21st July 2008, 09:54 AM
just do what your comfortable with i reckon

retropin
21st July 2008, 10:08 AM
How you apply your decals is up to you - if going in dry works for you then all is good.

Personally, i wouldnt do it that way. I do a lot of vinyl in my job and if the vinyl is anything other than small then it is best applied wet. The water (and a touch of washingup liquid act as a lubricant, or you can buy vinyl application liquid at a sign suppliers) is squeegy'd out after you have manouvred it to the EXACT postion you want it. There is no way on this planet that you can do this dry, once down, its down. If you dont use too much lubricant then once squeegyd out the decal will not move around on you, and yes - flip the cab over and apply the other side. Can even be done upright.
Spacies is right on this one.
Beauty of using wet method is that it can then be done with one person.

mate, believe me - ive been on that many jobs where 20+ years of experience sign guys have attempted to go in dry cos they cant be arsed to pull out the spray. Invariably they **** it up, vinyl gets pulled off as the finish is not professional enough, we go back to the factory, cut some more and go back to the job. Time and money wasted due to the "She'll be right"attitude.

I recommend you seal the cabinet to smooth and apply wet - use 10 year cast vinyl at all times, itll last 8-10 years in full sun. Out of sun - even longer.
Cheap vinyl decals are invariably just that - more than likely on banner vinyl which carries a 3 month guarantee - after that you are on your own.

This is what i recommend - what you do is entirely up to you. But in my 22 years experience, im with Spacies on this one

spacies
21st July 2008, 11:04 AM
Also, how many decals have you applied to a Pinball? :unsure

I dunno but I have a nice CV with nice new decals that were applied using the dry method and while it was done seen a Black Knight, MM and White Water ALL done using that same method. None lifting none bubbling.

So what you mean to say is, after the decal is applied wet, Just flip it straight over and do the other side? :unsure .... um yeahh right.

From that advice I can see the decal move out of place from glue not being activated.

Why does it matter if I haven't done a pinball? Do you think they are different? LMFAO. Come on horse, give me a break.

It will not move as Retropin has pointed out as well. Assumption again?

And the funny thing is, I can't wait 'til someone ****s up there nice new decals because of what they read and were told. All it takes is once speck of dust, sawdust, insect, hair or a breath of wind or whatever and your dry method is gonna bite you in the ass. Its only a matter of time.

Bahahahahahahahaahahaaaaa.
Although no-one will admit it now will they?

And in my experience of owning my own Sign Business and who applies decals everyweek, I am with Retropin on this one.

LOTR4U
21st July 2008, 11:17 AM
Fear mongering at its best. :lol

Do it how ever you feel comfortable. This debate always sparks up and just as you said PEOPLE who haven't done it before giving out the advice. :o

Hey Trav, how did you go with those Decals using the dry method? Looks excellent to me. :lol

Arcade King
21st July 2008, 06:10 PM
Fear mongering at its best. :lol

Do it how ever you feel comfortable. This debate always sparks up and just as you said PEOPLE who haven't done it before giving out the advice. :o

Hey Trav, how did you go with those Decals using the dry method? Looks excellent to me. :lol

They are fine, but I have to say I would rather have done it the wet method.
How about some of you pro wet make up a good guide for us decal nOoBz

spacies
21st July 2008, 06:18 PM
I was thinking that.
I will do a guide on the Ms Pacman.
Almost every part of that machine, except the rear and above the monitor, has a decal.

Arcade King
21st July 2008, 06:26 PM
ok sounds good, look forward to it.

LOTR4U
21st July 2008, 08:28 PM
Guides need to be free tho ;)

acejas
21st July 2008, 08:45 PM
LOL

Ill do a guide :) Pissed as with a bourbon in one hand and shaking my fist at whoevers doing it for me.

Once I pull out my finger and sand down my LW3 im going to video it. Just one way of doing it just to show others. I think the biggest hang up with people thoughts on the wet method is that it will become less sticky. I can see where that comes from but it really is unsubstantiated. Heard of claims you must leave it for 3 days to dry. WTF?

As a total noob to vinyl application I tried dry and was successful 8/10. Remember business is different to hobby and comes down to what time is taken. In business you dont have time, as a hobbyist youve got all the time in the world.

At the end of the day I believe that either method will yield the same result.

LOTR4U
21st July 2008, 08:55 PM
LOL

Ill do a guide :) Pissed as with a bourbon in one hand and shaking my fist at whoevers doing it for me.

Once I pull out my finger and sand down my LW3 im going to video it. Just one way of doing it just to show others. I think the biggest hang up with people thoughts on the wet method is that it will become less sticky. I can see where that comes from but it really is unsubstantiated. Heard of claims you must leave it for 3 days to dry. WTF?

As a total noob to vinyl application I tried dry and was successful 8/10. Remember business is different to hobby and comes down to what time is taken. In business you dont have time, as a hobbyist youve got all the time in the world.

At the end of the day I believe that either method will yield the same result.

I can tell you what concerns a newbie on the wet method :unsure how much wet stuff do you use? not enough and it may stick in the wrong spot.

Arcade King
21st July 2008, 09:08 PM

and in the nice guides section I created a while back ;)

boxingkoala
21st July 2008, 09:12 PM
****, just read this thread from the beginning and what a ****ing impressive clear coat. Well done AK. What happened or is happening with the ramps?

This will be a keeper for sure with the hard work put into it. good job. i am sure it gives many of us inspiration

Arcade King
21st July 2008, 09:16 PM
I bought a second complete set of ramps ffrom the states in the hope they may be better, unfortunately they had some surface rust too.
Eventually I will get them chromed but for now STTNG has taken a back seat until the clear around the a few inserts has been fixed.

AskJacob
21st July 2008, 09:52 PM
Hmm I'm still waiting to hear about the problem you are having with the clearcoat - but I'm assuming it is still a sore spot...

I'm guessing the CC crazed the inserts?

Creech
22nd July 2008, 08:09 PM
Its not even remotely funny when you say it. :lol

Sucks to taste your own medicine eh? :lol :lol :lol

Savage
28th July 2008, 08:09 PM
Hmm I'm still waiting to hear about the problem you are having with the clearcoat - but I'm assuming it is still a sore spot...

I'm guessing the CC crazed the inserts?

Nope, the inserts had moved thus the clear laminate type coating started to peel in the edges leaving it a milky appearance.
We will have it sorted soon. AK discovered that super gluing the inserts before 2 pac clear should stop this. The heat from the bulbs didn't help with this.

If you look at many Pinballs you will see this on many of them, I guess the Clear Coat show it up more due to the gloss.. Pain in the but though..

Arcade King
3rd October 2008, 06:32 PM
Teeny tiny Update

Had the STTNG apron overlay I vectored up printed and I'm stoked with the outcome, good to see the hours and hours of work I put into this paid off.
Only thing that needs corrected if I ever need to print it out in the future is to move the Status Report, Lane Change etc on the right hand side of the apron about 1 mm to the left.
Glad I went with a full overlay too, really blends in nicely...need to learn the "wet method" though :b

Overlay
http://aussiearcade.com/uploads/AK/IMG_1429.jpg

Apron before
http://aussiearcade.com/uploads/AK/IMG_1427.jpg

Apron after with another original above it.
http://aussiearcade.com/uploads/AK/IMG_1432.jpg

Crap pics but meh what you gonna do.

Cheers to Spacies for doing the printing for me :) looks great mate.

WOKA
3rd October 2008, 06:38 PM
:) looks great mate.

;)

bwodie
3rd October 2008, 06:45 PM
looks perfect

Arcade King
12th December 2008, 10:45 PM
Well I've been doing the same LED modding to STTNG. heres where im at.

YouTube - MVI_1556.AVI

Still dont know what to do about the GI shied part

stuba
14th December 2008, 12:09 PM
maybe david or jacob could design an exact circuit if they know exactly what the voltages and loads are :unsure

bwodie
14th December 2008, 12:45 PM
they look awesome
going to do this to mine
where did you get the led kit from ?

Arcade King
14th December 2008, 12:59 PM
its no kit mate custom jobbie made by me :) same as what i did on the FH.
Its all back together now I'll take some pics of the pin when i stop being so lazy and put the new black legs on....god knows why i didnt do it when i had the PF out :b

WOKA
15th December 2008, 10:27 AM
And it looks sweet as too.. Had a gander on Saturday, very nice..!

Arcade King
15th December 2008, 09:25 PM
Heres some final pics, after all the drama and now dub thee arse whipped and done STTNG

My LED modding ;)
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1557.jpg

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1560.jpg

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1561.jpg

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1562.jpg

Thanks to everybody who helped out specially Savage :)

spacies
15th December 2008, 09:29 PM
Where's the joystick man?

LOL, nice work boss.

bwodie
15th December 2008, 10:15 PM
real ****in good

Supremicus
16th December 2008, 01:51 PM
very very nice trav

Brad
16th December 2008, 04:59 PM
Another work of art. Well done Trav

Brad

Greg
17th December 2008, 07:11 PM
Heres some final pics, after all the drama and now dub thee arse whipped and done STTNG

My LED modding ;)
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1557.jpg

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1560.jpg

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1561.jpg

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~golga/STTNG/IMG_1562.jpg

Thanks to everybody who helped out specially Savage :)

the STtng looks very nice mate but
"I spy with my little eye".......whats that sitting next to the STtng.......

TZ well done Travis

Arcade King
17th December 2008, 07:26 PM
We'll spotted mate ;)

WOKA
17th December 2008, 11:09 PM
A TZ with lots of colour on BOTH sides...! ;)

Emohawk
18th December 2008, 11:23 AM
Well done make that looks so sweet. nice work with the LED's

bwodie
18th December 2008, 11:55 AM
how difficult was it to do the custom AK leds?
how expensive?
Can you give some details? I might rope mooncresta into doing mine when he shops my game :)

Arcade King
18th December 2008, 05:54 PM
Mate i intend to fully document what i've done when i get some time. I need me old mate Woka to bring his camcorder over so i can make a short how to vid.

bwodie
18th December 2008, 06:31 PM
I dislike the intend word being used when you have a TZ sitting next to you that is being worked on

Arcade King
18th December 2008, 06:50 PM
:D I have to iron out some faults on the TZ before I begin stripping it.

mooncresta
19th December 2008, 06:36 PM
I dislike the intend word being used when you have a TZ sitting next to you that is being worked on

Can't see a problem doing it,my guess would be the time to do it,which includes the shop job.Remember i need at least a month of testing:D
Remember i am in the process of shopping my Whirlwind and then my RFM then CFTBL.Chances of getting a TZ for Chrissy looks promising that will definitely get some attention.Your STTNG can be seen to as early as 2010.

WOKA
23rd December 2008, 11:00 AM
Mate i intend to fully document what i've done when i get some time. I need me old mate Woka to bring his camcorder over so i can make a short how to vid.

Give me a hoi, I'll gladly come over and get away from this mayhem..!

Crispimeat
23rd December 2008, 11:13 AM
Looks great Trav and after seeing and playing your FH at Burra's the STTNG and the TZ will no doubt be outstanding.

Arcade King
24th December 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm not going to go crazy on the TZ like I have the other 2. probably just a normal shop. will play the game see if its a keeper then decide to take it to the next level (clear coat, LED's etc)

I will be doing the headbox decals among other things. Will put up a thread shortly :)