PDA

View Full Version : Another new frontend!

RetroBorg
22nd February 2008, 01:43 AM
There's another new frontend in development called Khameleon (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76881.0), and as the name suggests it can change to look just like most other popular frontends currently available.

I just downloaded and tried the 2nd beta, go into the Konfig file and hit browse under Skin File and change it to look just like the default skins for Atomic, Dragon King, Kymaera, Mala, MameWah & Ultrastyle straight out of the box, very impressive.

It's still early on but should support 3D cabinet models and animations similar to the other new frontend in development, Hyperspin (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76698.0;all).

Check it out.

headkaze
22nd February 2008, 03:15 AM
You forgot to mention my new Razor engine!

It will be 3d, and Australian Made too ;)

It has animation capabilities of HyperSpin, but I won't bother writing importers for all the old 2d FE's like Khameleon because I reakon the new 3d themes will mean noone will bother with them anyway. The future is 3d!

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76769.0

BTW I'm looking for a "skinner", someone good with Photoshop and graphics and who is interested in making a kick ass default skin for Razor. Right now the demo video for my engine is pretty lame, which is why I'm looking for a graphics artist.

RetroBorg
22nd February 2008, 11:31 AM
You forgot to mention my new Razor engine!

It will be 3d, and Australian Made too ;)

Sorry mate, I only just now stumbled across it.

It has animation capabilities of HyperSpin, but I won't bother writing importers for all the old 2d FE's like Khameleon because I reakon the new 3d themes will mean noone will bother with them anyway. The future is 3d!

Sure is.

BTW I'm looking for a "skinner", someone good with Photoshop and graphics and who is interested in making a kick ass default skin for Razor.

I'm okay but definitely no expert at Photoshop but I'd like to have a go at making a skin for Razor if you have an easy enough skinner program included when you release Razor. I really like 3D Arcade frontend but I have no idea how to make a skin in that frontend, it's just way past me. The easier you make a skinner program the more skins people will be make.

Right now the demo video for my engine is pretty lame, which is why I'm looking for a graphics artist.

I've checked out your video of Razor (http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Efreeaxs/razor/Razor.avi) and it's okay for showing of some of the capabilities but it's not as pretty a video as the HyperSpin video. :D

YouTube - Arcade Frontend

I really like the support for cocktail cabinets and the displaying of 3D models in yours.

If you can come up with a demo video with a pretty wheel, 3D cabinets, animations and perhaps an ability to change skins on the fly using an easy wheel selection method plus include all the plugin features you have written for Game Ex, it will blow everyone away. :badgrin

Brad
22nd February 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm dying to try Hyperspin!

Brad

headkaze
22nd February 2008, 12:21 PM
There is no skinner at the moment, but trust me on this my engine can display what HyperSpin can, it just doesn't have any skin like it yet. Also I know Khameleon author Cakemeister will write an importer for the HyperSpin skin as soon as he gets a hold of the files.

So really it's not the skin that is so important although I really like the HyperSpin skin too, it's really "inspired" by ultracade FE as can be seen in this video.

ultracade

RetroBorg
22nd February 2008, 12:44 PM
I had seen pictures of an Ultracade frontend before but not a video, HyperSpin certainly looks a like that.

headkaze
23rd February 2008, 11:19 AM
I really just need someone who is good at Photoshop and create a skin in that using layers, then the animation can be added later.

But even harder than that I think is finding good graphics, for backgrounds, game characters and things like that.