PDA

View Full Version : White Water Mountain Repairs

AussieKelvin
17th February 2008, 09:49 PM
Some of the mountains on my White Water pinball were cracked or broken, particularly the tabs that are used to hold them in place. A new set is around US$300 (if you can get them), so I looked at how to repair mine.

I found some plastic that did a great job of repairing them. I used Sheet Styrene manufactured by Evergreen Scale Models in the USA. http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm. It's used by plastic model makers. I bought a single sheet for $6.99. The size sheet I used was .060” (1.5mm) thick. I bought it from Casey’s Toy Warehouse at Erina on the NSW Central Coast but I expect it would be available from most model stores.

The stuff was really easy to work with. If you heat it up it goes very soft and pliable like rubber. I used a gas torch, but I expect a flame, or maybe even an oven would also do the trick. When it is soft you can push it into the underside of the mountains to make it exactly the right shape. When it cools (pretty quickly) it sets rock hard in the shape you made it. It can be reheated and reshaped as necessary. I also bought some Plasti-Zap superglue to fix the new pieces in place. When it is hard, it can be cut, drilled and sanded. I used a dremel to cut and sand the protruding bits to the right shape to make tabs for the fixing screws, then drilled them.

Where necessary to fill in gaps or cracks, I used some epoxy filler. Then I painted the bits I’d repaired and the repairs are almost undetectable. The only thing that could be better is that the styrene material is white, so light doesn’t shine through it. So if you make a major repair to a boulder with a light underneath, it might be obvious where you fixed it.

This worked really well on the White Water mountains, but there may be other appications on different machines to repair odd shaped plastic parts.

Hopefully, this will be useful to someone.

Kelvin

bwodie
17th February 2008, 09:55 PM
looks great mate
thanks for the info
need to source the boulder garden boulder for mine.. mooncresta stole it

AussieKelvin
17th February 2008, 10:02 PM
looks great mate
thanks for the info

I can't help you with the "Boulder Garden" boulder, but I do have two spare "Bigfoot's Cave" ones if anyone needs one. One is brand new, the other slightly broken (but now I know how to fix it).

Kelvin

mooncresta
18th February 2008, 07:44 AM
looks great mate
thanks for the info

:D

Skybeaux
18th February 2008, 07:59 AM
Excellent repairs Kelvin.:023:

No one would tell the difference unless you pointed it out to them.

Looks Great!!

Shock_And_Awe
18th February 2008, 08:11 AM
Very nice work Kelvin. From the pics you could not tell that it was ever broken. Like most around here, I want a White Water too!

hamish_nz
18th February 2008, 08:28 AM
nice work !!!!!!!!!