PDA

View Full Version : Transporting and unpacking a pinball

gunigoogoo
5th May 2006, 12:34 PM
Hi folks,

If I buy a pinball from interstate, obviously it will be wrapped up etc. when it arrives here. What do you recommend is the best way to handle the machine when it comes off the truck? What's the simplest way for putting the legs back on. Do I need to turn it over upside down or do I need to elevate it on top of something and work underneath. Obviously you don't want to shake it around too much.

I've never done this before so excuse the dumb questions.

Ric
5th May 2006, 12:42 PM
first and most important

get the seller to remove the balls from the machine before wrapping it up.

it the balls are not removed they will rattle around and can do damage to the trough optos plastics etc. Just put them in a bag and tape them inside the cabinet.

Next get the guy to put something between the translite glass and the playfield glass so they are not knocking around during transport.

when the machine is off the truck, put it down so it is horizontal (as if you were playing it without legs.

You will need a couple of people for the next step

Lift the back off the gorund and tilt the machine forward. Bolt the back legs on

now rest the back legs on the gorund and lift the front off the ground and bolt the front legs on

voila

now put the backbox up, clip it and put the four backbox bolts on

put the balls back in and plug it in - make sure the cord hasn't been damaged in transit.

Ric

Savage
5th May 2006, 12:43 PM
I got my Pinny from Melbourne to Brisbane.
Shipped via a backloader.
Had the Legs still on it and only some rugs as protection and head unit down.

Don't turn it upside down, would be pretty hard to do and could make a mess..

I rather have it sent with the legs on, bas to avoid damage to the wood, which can easily chip / splinter..

Ric
5th May 2006, 01:28 PM
i would have to disagree

if the unit moves in the truck or is mishandled or shifts suddenly, the legs may buckle/bend or worse rip from the cabinet wich will cause significant damage.

pin legs are not desgined to withstand the weight of a machine shifting suddenly on them. They are actually quite fragile.

Ric

humpalot
5th May 2006, 01:35 PM
Yep for sure make certain that the balls are removed and something is placed between the cabinet and head unit and then secured/tied down.

I've had 2 of my pins transported and both still had their legs attached, it makes it easier to secure in the trucks as the trucks have anchorage points they use to secure items during transport.

terry007
5th May 2006, 06:22 PM
When you get your new pinny place it on 2 saw horses, usually they are high enough to allow the legs to be bolted on.

I sent a pinny up to Brisbane from Adelaide. I placed foam between the headbox and playfield glass. Then wrapped it in 2 layers of bubble wrap and then covered that with cardboard (was actually 2 whiteboard boxes, perfect size for wrapping a pinny)

I reckon its best to remove the legs, these were wrapped in bubble wrap as well and taped around the headbox as a sort of "crown".

Oh yeah the removed balls and ball shooter were placed in the cashbox.

DJS
7th May 2006, 05:41 PM
Gents,

Unless you are only doing a local move i would take the legs off - by local i mean u are driving and it is a SHORT drive. I almost always take of the legs it is a 2 person job but makes it a lot easier to load when they are off. As for interstate - LEGS OFF 100% - you rub the risk off the cab starting to weaken from sideways or back and forth movement. Most ppl that are into pins will take the legs off for you and place them inside. As said before the head box "on late modesl need to be cushioned so you dont damage the rails - also it should be strapped down so it wont bounce if a ling journey. AND Always remove the balls.......................

I have followed these rulles and moved my collection several times including getting in pins for interstae and OS - never had a problem......

If the seller doesnt want to do it - then they dont have your or the machines best interest at heart.....

Cheers
darren

4_ur_amusement
12th May 2006, 10:13 PM
shipping a pin with its legs on if its going by road first reason is if its a removalist they prefer pins with legs on and really if its secured correctly it wont move if a pin should buckle its leg or worse still rip one off it only means one thing the pin wasnt secure enough the other reason is its how the pin sits everyday so damage is less likley and ive shipped over 100 pinballs all with their legs on its all about how they are carried

gunigoogoo
13th May 2006, 12:31 AM
Have to agree with that. Got a pin today from Melbourne with its legs still on. No problem whatsoever. It was tied down very well so I doubt it moved at all on the trip over.

4_ur_amusement
23rd May 2006, 11:12 PM
and who was the brainiac who said to put the legs inside the machine ??? what tha what to you think 4 legs are going to do to the inside of a pinball ?? hhhmmm i can see broken transformer pins damage mechs broken brackets and wiring damage the only way id send a pin with its legs off is on its end on a custom pallet if you use dodgy couriers you get dodgey results and anyway im into pins and ive never ever put legs inside a machine

Ric
24th May 2006, 09:44 AM
i would hate to think what legs inside might do to a data east with all their internal Cab flipper PCB's

or worse an old atari

never put the legs inside. Only thing that should be put inside are the balls in a plastic bag and duct taped don so they down fly around and do similar damage

Ric

NMD
24th May 2006, 10:38 AM
Hmm a certain person i bought a pinball machine from [i dare say you could all guess who] told me he was going to pack the legs inside the machine, i said ummm how do you plan on securing them to stop them from damaging the underside of the PF and whatever else they hit inside the cabinet? He proceeded to talk down to me stating he had been in the business X amount of years and had shipped hundreds of machines blah blah blah and got really offended about the question i asked....

The machine arrived with legs separately wrapped as requested.

Ric
24th May 2006, 10:49 AM
i can't believe anyone would think four bits of heavy metal rolling around inside a pinball can be a good idea.

I guess that is why I have little to no repsect for most ops I have met over the years

DJS
25th May 2006, 08:49 PM
Gents,

My comment about the legs inside - should have said WRAPPED "in bubble wrap" - this has never caused me any problems. Again i would only do/request this if it is going on transport, which would also included being put on a pallet "strapped".

Sorry it wasnt clear :unsure

cheers
darren