PDA

View Full Version : uniwar S lai cocktail monitor wont fire up

snippy
4th May 2006, 10:42 AM
Gday all,

My brother picked up this LAI Uniwar S cocktail machine a few weeks ago, when powered up you can hear the sounds of the game running, hitting the start buttons it makes game noises and responds etc. From what I've read Uniwar S is modified/hacked galaxian hardware setup to run ghostmuncher (pacman clone) and a space invaders clone. KLOV seems down so I can't get the direct link, search for "Uniwar S" it shows up on klov.

The fella he got it from said that the monitor was not 'stuffed', it just stopped working when they moved it so it has to be a 'loose wire'.

I've got my brother to check all the fuses, they seem fine. There doesn't appear to be any 'loose wires', not that we really know what to look for. You know how most monitors you can hear them hiss or a slight buzz or something when they're powered up - this one it's dead silent, it makes no noise at all. Not sure where to start when troubleshooting this type of problem.

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/IMG_0159.JPG
http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/IMG_0164.JPG
http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/IMG_0171.JPG
http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/f6_12_sb.JPG

Can't believe the condition, the machine honestly looks brand new, the insides are completely spotless and even the dodgy top artwork looks to be in great nick, the picture cracked me up a bit actually.

I suspect the chassis/tube is stuffed, but i'm definately no expert on this kind of thing. Is there a few telltale signs we can look for ?

Snippy.

Mickey Juice
4th May 2006, 10:48 AM
Machine looks great!
I'm not expert, but I'd suspect the chassis. Probably the power supply on the board.
Jomac and crew might have some suggestions

Ric
4th May 2006, 11:24 AM
hey there

I have the exact same machine except mine doesn't have the top artwork only the two instruction cards.

It is indeed a hack of the Midway Galaxian hardware (modified to accpet DC power rather than AC so a normal power supply will power the board).

For the life of me I can't find any info about it except I was sent the pinouts for the board by someone - which I can send you if you like . I would suspect the boards were made by LAI in Aus and therefore it will be hard to find info on them

My monitor is fine but my board is stuffed so I am fixing it atm - high pitched noise lots of zeroes on the screen. There is a secondary board between the volume pot and the main PCB which I think control the switching between the games.

As for the games, it appears Ghost muncher is a striaght pac clone whilst Uniwars or Uniwar S as it is properly called is a game that was separetely marketed by IREM. You can find the manual for the IREM UniwarsS but the IREM board is completely different to the LAI board so it is not much use. The schematics for the Midway Gaaxain board are easy to find.

Sorry I can't help more but let me know if you need anything else

Ric

hamish_nz
4th May 2006, 11:40 AM
The game is playing blind.
Sent it off to jomac to get repaired.
It will save you time and tears

do you hear the screen power up? Crackle or whinning?

Very nice looking machine !!!!!!!!

snippy
4th May 2006, 12:07 PM
The game is playing blind.
Sent it off to jomac to get repaired.
It will save you time and tears

do you hear the screen power up? Crackle or whinning?

Very nice looking machine !!!!!!!!

Cheers, jomac are in WA aren't they ? Doh!

Snippy.

Mickey Juice
4th May 2006, 12:09 PM
You can just send the chassis to him.
The link is on the toplist page:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/toplist.php

hamish_nz
4th May 2006, 12:12 PM
Yes sorry I ment send him the monitor chassis only.
You need to remove the monitor from the game and the disconect
the tube from the chassis.

humpalot
4th May 2006, 12:32 PM
Might want to consider getting one of his universal chassis?

Ric
4th May 2006, 12:34 PM
it all depends whether the tube is shot?

where are you located - maybe take it somewhere to see which is at fault?

The Pinny Parlour
4th May 2006, 01:38 PM
PLEASE scan up the instruction cards

Very Nice cocktail BTW

rottenpig
4th May 2006, 01:46 PM
i was going to say check the power supply. i tell you if i didn't have to stuff around to get that cocktail to brissy, i would have bought it. it ended up going for like $200 didn't it? bargain.

Ric
4th May 2006, 01:46 PM
was this off ebay?

interesting

I got mine for $200

snippy
4th May 2006, 03:32 PM
$202.50 :)

Ric
4th May 2006, 03:51 PM
pretty good deal I have to say

mine was a call from out of the blue

The only thing I could verify was that the screen worked.

the power supply had blown so I needed to replace it and it had the board but could not boot it up

Ric

snippy
4th May 2006, 04:40 PM
It was just luck really. Right spot at the right time, i'd been trawling ebay crazily... my bro scored it anyway, he lives near sydney..

Snippy.

Prof
4th May 2006, 05:20 PM
OK,, it should have a toei(?) chassis in it. It would have three pcbs mounted on a metal bracket. There are 2 fuses on the psu pcb. Check these. Also, you willneed to check if you are getting power to the monitor. Could be a 110v x-former problem.

Jomac
6th May 2006, 12:37 AM
Hi Snippy ,

I can assure you 100% that the flyback is cooked , If you remove the cover I have marked in your picture you will notice the label on the flyback has gone all crispy if not completely burnt off , if you look closer you will also see cracks going right through the flyback.
http://www.jomac.net.au/pics/IMG_0171.JPG

The flybacks for these have not been available for around 12 years now , when they were they cost me $160.00 , this didn't include the cost of repairing the other damage this does to the chassis.

Considering a brand new chassis to suit your CRT is only $145.00 and the picture is better than the original ever was , replacing it would be a very simple solution.
There is also a Recon Orion chassis I can supply with 3 month warranty that will plug straight in to your CRT for $90.00

Note : Your CRT is a high impedance type yoke with a 12 pin neck board so not as easy to find a replacment chassis for as some of the more common types.

There was a hack I did on these original chassis that you have ( Kaga Denshi ) using a flyback from another type of chassis , but it's not pretty and not something I really like doing now that a new chassis is so cheap.

Freight to you would be $14.50 and you would have it the day after you order.

Prof
6th May 2006, 05:28 PM
Joe, is there any way to with a meter to check the flyback ??

I've got about 50 of these chassis and should have a working snippy can have.

Jomac
6th May 2006, 05:44 PM
They dont normally test bad , the only way and the best way is to look at the sticker on the flyback , if it's flacky or brown it's dead or very soon will be.
most of the time there is also a crack going right through under the middle of the sticker.

snippy
7th May 2006, 08:20 AM
Many thanks for all the help guys, I'm not ignoring this thread it's just going to take me a little longer to reply as the cabinet is at my brothers house in newcastle. So I'm relaying info and waiting for him to get back to me.

I'll get him to send me some photos of what is being talked, if it was here I'd do it asap but it's not :)

Cheers,
Snippy.

Prof
8th May 2006, 07:04 PM
:026: Keep us posted. I'm sure somethingin this box works

snippy
10th May 2006, 04:26 PM
Cheers mate,

Some more info should come to light on this topic tonight, getting my bro on the case (it's at his place in newcastle)...

Snippy

snippy
10th May 2006, 07:24 PM
Here they are...

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image001.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image003.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image004.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image005.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image006.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image007.jpg

What do yas reckon ?

Cheers,
Snippy

Prof
10th May 2006, 07:34 PM
Awwh, you let the magic smoke out :) I'll check for you tonight on that flyback

Davefjedi
10th May 2006, 07:36 PM
Here they are...

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image001.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image003.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image004.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image005.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image006.jpg

http://mjo.customer.netspace.net.au/Images/UniwarSMonitor/image007.jpg

What do yas reckon ?

Cheers,
Snippy
LOL @ melted pos

Prof
10th May 2006, 10:15 PM
Got a couple here that look good. SHoot me pm wit your addy and I'll get them to you.

snippy
15th May 2006, 11:00 AM
Cheers mate, we'll have a bash at sticking on a working flyback when we get them (can't resist at least having a crack at fixing it).

Jomac, thanks for your advice, I do understand if you feel a bit dirty diagnosing the problem straight away for me and then finding out that I've run off elsewhere to have it sorted - but I can't resist prof's offer to help. We might end up grabbing a universal chassis sometime down the road anyway, my budget doesn't allow it for now.

Cheers and thanks again,
Snippy.

The Pinny Parlour
15th May 2006, 01:22 PM
Cheers mate, we'll have a bash at sticking on a working flyback when we get them (can't resist at least having a crack at fixing it).

Jomac, thanks for your advice, I do understand if you feel a bit dirty diagnosing the problem straight away for me and then finding out that I've run off elsewhere to have it sorted - but I can't resist prof's offer to help. We might end up grabbing a universal chassis sometime down the road anyway, my budget doesn't allow it for now.

Cheers and thanks again,
Snippy.

I'm sure Jomac won't mind. I think we all might at some stage grab a universal chassis sometime in the future.

snippy
14th August 2006, 01:55 PM
Gday all,

I've been away for a fair while as I had to relocate to the newcastle area from melbourne, what a pain in the a$$ that was! Stuff is still in storage pretty much (pain in the ass!)

Anyway, seeing as I'm now a lot closer to this uniwar S/ghostmuncher cabinet (it's at my bros), I reckon I should have a crack at fixing it. Good ol prof wasn't able to come up with a flyback to suit, so has anyone here installed one of the jomac universal chassis ?

Any details/feedback of the installation experience would be greatly appreciated, especially if someone has installed one into a cocktail similar to mine, actually, there seems to be a sticky thread already about it, whoops :)..

Oh well, this project is now re-opened anyway....
Snippy :)

Ric
14th August 2006, 02:03 PM
Welcome back - wondered where you had got to. hope the move wasn't too painful

I dread the the day i have to move my machines.

let me know how you go with the cocktail

i finished the electronic part of the restoration of mine a couple of weeks ago and it is going like a charm.

Let me know if you need photos etc

Good luck with it.

It was a great feeling when i coined it up and had the first game

Ric

snippy
14th August 2006, 02:26 PM
I dread the the day i have to move my machines.

let me know how you go with the cocktail

i finished the electronic part of the restoration of mine a couple of weeks ago and it is going like a charm.

Let me know if you need photos etc

Good luck with it.

It was a great feeling when i coined it up and had the first game

Ric

Gday Ric,

Oh yeah, i dunno if anyone remembers the space invaders cocktail that I restored (err, mamed I mean :(), but the bloody removalists scratched my nice paintwork and dinged one of the control panels, they also flipped the machine on it's side (which I had specifically asked them not to do) and as my pc/monitor weren't bolted in very well, everything got mixed around in there, shitted me off. The bloody monitor has purple magnet damage around it too now.

I only had one game in melbourne, thank christ. Up here in newcastle I have 2 uprights and the uniwarS cocktail (and now the space invaders mame cocktail), and anytime they are transported, I'm doing it..

Sounds like you fixed yours up good, last I heard you seemed a bit worried about lack of doco, did you have screwed up roms on the board or something ?

I can only hope that once I get my chassis fixed that the game will run, there's no guarantee for me.

Cheers,
Snippy.

snippy
12th September 2012, 09:52 PM
All,

Well, hobbies have gone full circle, I first started this thread in 2006. I still have the cocktail here, moved it around from house to house and fighting off any thought of selling it. Never did fix it though, it's still sitting in the exact condition then is was on 14th August 2006 when I last posted about it here.

Arcades to pinball to work to nitro cars to video game consoles to fishing to dirt bikes and now back to arcades (and still dirtbikes). The difference between now and back when I first posted, is that I'm not flat broke so I can actually afford to spend a little bit to get this baby running if required.

I'm just transferring some fresh photos off my phone and would like some help in diagnosing the issue of the monitor not firing up. Chassis and flyback transformer was the last thing I remember needing to replace, where do I start ?

Cheers,
Snippy!

necroscope
12th September 2012, 10:01 PM
All,

Well, hobbies have gone full circle, I first started this thread in 2006. I still have the cocktail here, moved it around from house to house and fighting off any thought of selling it. Never did fix it though, it's still sitting in the exact condition then is was on 14th August 2006 when I last posted about it here.

Arcades to pinball to work to nitro cars to video game consoles to fishing to dirt bikes and now back to arcades (and still dirtbikes). The difference between now and back when I first posted, is that I'm not flat broke so I can actually afford to spend a little bit to get this baby running if required.

I'm just transferring some fresh photos off my phone and would like some help in diagnosing the issue of the monitor not firing up. Chassis and flyback transformer was the last thing I remember needing to replace, where do I start ?

Cheers,
Snippy!

Give jomac a pm he is a site sponsor he will hook you up with a new replacement chassis for around $200 and when it arrives someone can guide you through the install.

snippy
12th September 2012, 10:11 PM
Give jomac a pm he is a site sponsor he will hook you up with a new replacement chassis for around $200 and when it arrives someone can guide you through the install.

Righteo I'll do that tonite.

Cheers,
Snippy

snippy
13th September 2012, 02:20 PM
Just placed an order with Jomac for a uni chassis so I guess we'll see how I go when it turns up. Hopefully they come with instructions! :)

Cheers,
Snippy.

snippy
17th September 2012, 09:19 PM
Hmm, victory or failure ? I'm not too sure :confused:

necroscope
17th September 2012, 09:24 PM

Looks like a victory for the monitor,Awesome condition on the uniwars cocktail too havent seen one looking that good since about 1983..Do you have a multimeter to check your voltages,it could be not enough power getting to the pcb or it could be a floating ic in a socket.

kane
17th September 2012, 09:26 PM

Chassis victory, game board failure...

snippy
17th September 2012, 09:32 PM
Well, everytime i turn it off and back on i seem to get a different result. Plenty of stupid sound effects and silly music blurting out everynow and then.

I do have a multimeter, not sure where I should be testing though. I might just do a whip around the board on different points. Am I totally screwed or can I source a set of these rom chips or a board repair at all ?

Cheers,
Snippy

necroscope
17th September 2012, 09:50 PM
You would need to find the pinouts for ghostmuncher so you can tell what voltage is going to the pcb at the +5v rail or you can check the voltages at the power supply but i dont advise this if you dont know what your doing,I have seen pcbs show those types of symptoms when underpowered but it is more than likely a rom or cpu issue you could try lightly pushing on any socketed chips with the power off and then try turning it back on and see if there is a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

How about posting a pic of the pcb and the connector.would love to see what condition it is in.

snippy
17th September 2012, 10:13 PM
How about posting a pic of the pcb and the connector.would love to see what condition it is in.

Well Well Well, I CALL VICTORY! It's alive, I can't believe after all these years the piece of crap works! full sound, game swaps, only thing i can fault at present is the colours on the screen look a little bit off as in, it might need a degauss ?

I'll take a photo of the board and connector for you now. I Should also add to 'fix' it, I pulled the connector off and pushed it back on and also pulled all the IC's out of the top board one by one carefully and reseated them but in hind sight doing that by hand with no ic puller was a very dumb idea. Also this thing still has a fair bit of dust on it, i'm confident that in a day or two after i've given it a good clean it's going to look pretty good for its age....

- - - Updated - - -

snippy
17th September 2012, 10:41 PM
Before I forget to say it, thanks jomac and to everyone else who helped. Without a friendly helpful community like AA around, I probably wouldn't of bought the machine in the first place.

Jomac
18th September 2012, 02:41 AM
Mate fantastic job !! I was waiting for a phone call or another email and next thing I know you are posting Success !! :)

Oh yeah it needs degaussing for sure , it may get a bit better by itself after it has been powered on and off a few times but you might also want to try moving the machine , this can have a major effect , I have seen monitors as bad as this come perfectly good just by rotating the machine a few degrees ., Worst case you might need to get yourself a degaussing wand , overall a great result even if it did only take 6 years :)

snippy
18th September 2012, 06:01 AM
Righteo Jomac I'll try that tonight. There's a degaussing coil on the monitor that I plugged into the chassis, how do I activate that and give it a hit ? Or is it not like the pc monitors where you choose degauss and it flogs the screen one ?

Also going to tidy the cabling up a bit inside, was rushing a bit last night. Also I will have a look to see if there is a colour saturation type adjustment somewhere on the chassis and have a play with that maybe ?

Cheers,
Snippy

Davefjedi
18th September 2012, 07:43 AM
As Jomac said by turning on and off a few times while the degause coil is plugged in may bring it up. Turning it on sends a quick burst through the coil when powered up or some have a button you can press

snippy
18th September 2012, 06:21 PM
Gday All,

So I had a bit more of a look at the machine this arvo, looks like the colours are ass-about. Ghostmuncher is a light blue colour, not yellow. Igor is meant to be red, but on mine he's blue. The little dots that you eat down the bottom of the screen are meant to be blue, not red like they are on mine also.

When compared with this youtube video showing the start of ghostmuncher, you can see what I mean. It's like blue is swapped for red or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3b35co3OkE

Now where the game board plugs into the chassis, I've checked that the wire colours are correct R G B wise I thought I must of got them back to front.

Is there anywhere else where the colours could get swapped around ?

Thanks,
Snippy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well, regardless of wire colours I swapped the red and blue around and sure enough everything now looks how it 'should'.

Cheers,
Snippy.

necroscope
18th September 2012, 06:29 PM
Gday All,

So I had a bit more of a look at the machine this arvo, looks like the colours are ass-about. Ghostmuncher is a light blue colour, not yellow. Igor is meant to be red, but on mine he's blue. The little dots that you eat down the bottom of the screen are meant to be blue, not red like they are on mine also.

When compared with this youtube video showing the start of ghostmuncher, you can see what I mean. It's like blue is swapped for red or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3b35co3OkE

Now where the game board plugs into the chassis, I've checked that the wire colours are correct R G B wise I thought I must of got them back to front.

Is there anywhere else where the colours could get swapped around ?

Thanks,
Snippy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh well, regardless of wire colours I swapped the red and blue around and sure enough everything now looks how it 'should'.

Cheers,
Snippy.

Congrats on finally getting it working,cant believe the condition it is in,it must have been a prize or something and never operated,

Re: The colours i get the same type of thing happen on pacman if the tube needs a degauss,you need to get a degaussing wand and the game will be perfect.