PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Juke software released

David_AVD
3rd February 2008, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone,
The first public version of my Jukebox software is available for download here. (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php)
Unimaginatively, it's called Aussie Juke! Call it a tribute to Aussie Arcade if you will.

No installation is required. Just edit the AussieJuke.ini file to suit your album & singles directories, then run the AussieJuke.exe file.
Feel free to either PM me or use this thread for feedback and bug reports.

It only supports 4:3 monitors and "singles mode" so far. Album mode will be looked at once I get some feedback to be sure the foundations are stable.
There's no help file yet but I have documented the ini file. Coin inputs are keys 5 & 6. Use arrow keys and page up/down to point to the song you want and press enter to select it. You can also click the song label to select it. ALT+F4 quits the program.

spacies
3rd February 2008, 05:53 PM
Well done mate!

I am downloading now.

nigelicious
3rd February 2008, 06:12 PM
Running on Vista. It's scanning my mp3 directory on my Ubuntu fileserver now :)

Ryan555
3rd February 2008, 11:55 PM
Just tried it out. Works for me, very fast - although I don't have many songs on my HDD :)

Brad
4th February 2008, 08:21 AM
Sweet, still loads the existing database. Works fine as is. I like the start of the interface for singles. The Now Playing and Coming Up works a treat.

Maybe in the queue list have the Artist after the Song title?

Brad

David_AVD
4th February 2008, 08:34 AM
Maybe in the queue list have the Artist after the Song title?
I did have it there for a while, but with long song titles there's not really enough room. I could add it as an option in the ini file I guess? :unsure

Brad
4th February 2008, 08:44 AM
I know catering for options is a pain but it makes the software VERY flexible and allows people to tweak to their specific needs.

Once of the biggest issues for other authors is the interface design. Catering to all those wants/needs is painful especially when you have to take into account the skinning or design aspect.

Given that your creating a database from the ID3 tags, in theory you "could" allow the selection of any part.

Cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
4th February 2008, 08:49 AM
Adding the option to have more info in that panel is not a problem. 30 seconds of coding and I had it showing Title - Artist in that panel. I did have to reduce the font size from 12 to 10 though and it does truncate long text.

Brad
4th February 2008, 09:39 AM
A lot will depend on what size monitors people are using and the resolution I suppose. Let users choose it along with font type and size and they can play until they're happy.

Brad

dmworking247
4th February 2008, 09:49 AM
Well done! Great to see some local talent.

PM sent with ideas to make it scalable :)

acejas
4th February 2008, 10:06 AM
David

Im running triple monitors and when I setup it goes from one monitor to the next (about a third) I cant seem to see how to exit the program as well

cheers

nigelicious
4th February 2008, 10:08 AM
acejas : Alt+F4 hehe

David, good work. The ability to reduce font size and hence, amount on listings on screen would be a nice touch.

David_AVD
4th February 2008, 10:46 AM
David, good work. The ability to reduce font size and hence, amount on listings on screen would be a nice touch.
I used the largest font size (12) that looked good and would fit most of the titles and artists on each label. If the text won't fit, I scale it back down until it does fit. (11, 10, 9) If it still doesn't fit at 9, then the text will be clipped.

nigelicious
4th February 2008, 11:16 AM
Got ya. Was more referring to the ability to increase the amount of listings per screen :)

David_AVD
4th February 2008, 11:32 AM
Got ya. Was more referring to the ability to increase the amount of listings per screen :)
Yeah, I settled on 10 per page for now with a view to making it use selectable later on. I've spent a fair amount of time on this project so far to make it as stable as possible, so I limited the amount of GUI customisation for now. For each change or new feature I go back and recode sections to make it more maintainable. I can't promise to include every feature straight away (or at all in some cases) but will try my best.

nigelicious
4th February 2008, 12:29 PM
I know how you feel, do alot of PHP at work .. just modularise and do piece by piece :) Just giving my constructive feedback :)

David_AVD
5th February 2008, 12:49 PM
Anyone want to come up with an icon for Aussie Juke? It will need to be 32 x 32 pixels and in ICO format. I may need a 16 x 16 version too?

Crafty
5th February 2008, 12:56 PM
I have no idea how to do this, but I reckon a picture of a Kangaroo with the pouch being part jukebox??

Or even a redo of the Aust Coat of Arms

Emu and Roo leaning on a kickarse Jukebox...:unsure

Will try to think of other ideas....

dmworking247
5th February 2008, 10:44 PM
A cockatoo eating a vinyl record? I could superimpose a record on a closeup of a cockatoo I photographed on my varandah then shrink it down :D

David_AVD
5th February 2008, 10:46 PM
C'mon guys. Need more testing and feedback! :sleep

dmworking247
5th February 2008, 10:57 PM
I sent you a detailed PM, you didn't reply! :)

David_AVD
5th February 2008, 11:00 PM
Sorry, still digesting it! :lol Sorry if it seemed I ignored you. Well I did I guess! :badgrin No, seriously I did read it and am mulling over some of the ideas you put forward. Thanks.

David_AVD
9th February 2008, 09:56 PM
OK, got the key mapping almost done. I've used the same format as WinCab (with a control.ini file) as it makes a lot of sense.
Now, what's the best way to deal with the keystrokes themselves? Should it do the function on the key press or release? Also, are repeating keys needed for any functions?

edit: Also added an option to shut down Windows when the jukebox program exits.

Brad
10th February 2008, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure that keystroke up or down is an issue to be honerst unless someone else pipes up.

As for repeated keystrokes, do you mean if the key is held down? If so I would suggest not as it could cause user issues. If it's for physically repeated keystrokes then yes. Think of double-digit numbers like 11 or 22 etc. Also page and scrolling functions.

Cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
10th February 2008, 12:09 PM
Brad,
For now, I've set the new version to not repeat the key when held down. I will try to enable it for the navigation keys though as it would be a pain to press the key a zillion times when you have lots of songs. I'll also work on functions to jump to the previous / next starting letter. that should make it quicker if you know what you're looking for.

To make it easier to track, Aussie Juke can be found here now. (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php) Only version 1.0.0.0 is available for download there for now but it does list what the new version will have.

David_AVD
10th February 2008, 03:36 PM
Version 1.0.1.0 now uploaded.

edit: Just fixed the zip file. (Was missing the control.ini file)

Arcade King
10th February 2008, 05:33 PM
David has added his link to the Links Directory (http://www.aussiearcade.com/links) :)

David_AVD
10th February 2008, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah, what he said. :D

David_AVD
11th February 2008, 11:48 PM
To save posts here, I'm just going to update my web site with the new versions of Aussie Juke as I release them. If you want to know if there's a newer version, check the version number and release notes on that page. They get updated each time a new version appears.

Feel free to use this thread for suggestions and bug reports though.

David_AVD
17th February 2008, 11:29 PM
Aussie Juke has been updated:

New: Minimise command (via control.ini)
New: Can specify the image to use for song labels
Improved: Better handling of file errors
Fixed: Missing selection numbers on labels when Song Selection Method = 1
Fixed: Last page of songs was blank if song count was a multiple of 10
New: Pause function. Pauses & resumes the currently playing song
New: Options to shutdown or reboot Windows or run command on program exit
New: Power save timer to shutdown program after a specified time of inactivity

David_AVD
29th December 2008, 06:06 PM
Aussie Juke (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php) has been updated:

Improved filename and tag parsing
Added window for mpg (mpeg1) video files

By default, the video clips show in the small cover art window. Double click the video window to switch between small and full screen modes.

daics3522
29th December 2008, 06:33 PM
Aussie Juke (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php) has been updated:

Improved filename and tag parsing
Added window for mpg (mpeg1) video files

By default, the video clips show in the small cover art window. Double click the video window to switch between small and full screen modes.

Good job David.

David_AVD
29th December 2008, 08:37 PM
OK, I finally wrote some instructions (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/AussieJuke%20user%20guide.pdf) for it. Please feel free to try the software out and give me feedback on it and the instructions. Thanks.

dmworking247
29th December 2008, 09:03 PM
I just went to download it and noticed "Accidentally Kelly Street" was on the 'Now Playing' in the screenshot.

Unless that is changed, I can't touch this software. Its against my religion.

:lol

David_AVD
29th December 2008, 10:16 PM
Just for you Dale, I've updated the screenshot! :rolleyes

AdamC
3rd January 2009, 12:34 AM
I cant figure out how to tell it where my video files are :unsure

David_AVD
3rd January 2009, 09:06 AM
Just add them as singles. They will need to be mpg files though.

David_AVD
7th January 2009, 09:35 PM
Version 1.6.9.0 of Aussie Juke (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php) has been released.

Can now use a second monitor (PC monitor or TV) to show video clips.

AdamC
7th January 2009, 09:39 PM
Nice one , David :)

Davefjedi
8th January 2009, 07:28 AM
Had a play with this this morning and I must say I am quite impressed the current skin Is simple and not over crowded (most juke proggys I see have friggin buttons everywhere) cant wait for the skinnable version so can just change the fonts and button designs I would leave the rest as is great for a touch screen
all up I like it :D

Brootal
9th January 2009, 01:55 PM
Version 1.6.9.0 of Aussie Juke (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php) has been released.

Can now use a second monitor (PC monitor or TV) to show video clips.

Nice, this is one thing I'm looking for, any idea if you're likely to be able to play AVI files (XVid) soon? I'll have to have another look at it now, haven't done so since you first released it to us

David_AVD
9th January 2009, 02:01 PM
It may do. Give it a whirl. I have enabled mpg, avi & wmv files but it's somewhat up to your Windows installation the exact types that will successfully play.

Emohawk
9th January 2009, 03:02 PM
That is looking nice easy to conifg got it all going in 2min. nice work..

Prof
11th January 2009, 05:26 PM
Good stuff dave. Glad to see you use your time for constructive purposes (sometimes) :)

AdamC
12th January 2009, 08:29 AM
How cool would it be if you had a video like this running on the second monitor while the mp3's were playing....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v387/optimus_narfunkle/IMGP0640.flv

Emohawk
12th January 2009, 08:47 AM
How cool would it be if you had a video like this running on the second monitor while the mp3's were playing....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v387/optimus_narfunkle/IMGP0640.flv

True I bet naf can get you some good videos with the LP wheel turning as well.

AdamC
12th January 2009, 09:30 PM
So it looks like the start of Happy Days ?? :)

YouTube - Happy Days

narf_
12th January 2009, 09:34 PM
happy to take some happy snaps

drakkar
14th March 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm impressed great work I've been looking for something like this
looking forward to future versions
don't know if this any good or how to make it into an ico file
thanks

forgot to ask any future plans to add karaoke capabilities ,I've got a lot of karaoke video files , it would be great at parties

:)

David_AVD
14th March 2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks. I have a couple of images that I was thinking of making an icon from. I'll add yours to the list.

Can't say I've thought about karaoke options yet. They're CD-G files I'm guessing?

drakkar
14th March 2009, 04:47 PM
Hi
actually no they are mostly mpg files which you prog can already do , but I do have some cd+g
all I'm thinking is some sort of interface to switch to make a list of the available mpg's (the list might have to be made manually I guess) and be able to select the correct mpg?

thanks