PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Softmod

Ryan555
27th January 2008, 04:22 PM
I am trying to softmod (and later a bigger HDD) an Xbox that I have just purchased. I have read various guides on the web. I have brought Splinter Cell and a Xbox controller extension cable so I can splice in USB socket. I cannot find anywhere a genuine Microsoft memory card for the Xbox, does anyone know where I can get one?
Another guide that I read said it does not matter if it was original or not?

I would like some help on the softmod if anyone is willing.

thanks

Ryan

Berty
27th January 2008, 04:52 PM
I just bought a USB to xbox cable from play-asia. The i just used a random 64MB USB mem stick to copy the save over to the box. I found that easier then trying to track down an xbox mem card.

Ryan555
27th January 2008, 11:14 PM
I have found that I have Lexar JumpDrive Secure 256 MB which is found to be compatible and I have one.

http://www.biline.ca/xbox_flash_list.htm
Lexar JumpDrive Secure 256 MB (15740 blocks)
*Be Careful, you may not be able to get it working in Windows again. Had to RMA.*

I'm not sure what RMA means, Return Authority or something?

I might try using the Lexar Jumpdrive instead, although it does involve extra steps.

DevoDave
30th January 2008, 11:41 AM
Buy a $15 modchip instead!

Ryan555
31st January 2008, 11:55 PM
"Buy a $15 modchip instead!"

Yes in Hind-Sight I wish I had, but I read here many posts of people saying that they Softmod now instead. I thought I would give it ago :)

I have been making progress, I have got the PAL version Save games of Splinter Cell on to my Memory Card! So hopefully over the weekend I can load the "saved games" and have a modified xbox!

Virgil Tracy
1st February 2008, 09:33 AM
Buy a $15 modchip instead!

Tell us more about this chip, is it easy to install

DevoDave
1st February 2008, 09:08 PM
Tell us more about this chip, is it easy to install

I've done close to a thousand, so can just about do them blindfolded.

If you have a decent fine-tipped station, they are a doddle.

Virgil Tracy
1st February 2008, 09:10 PM
Where do we get these $15 chips, from you or elsewhere:unsure

GEMINI
1st February 2008, 09:17 PM

x2:D

Ryan555
2nd February 2008, 12:11 AM
The Soft mod is not going well..... The xbox says that the save games are corrupt. I think I need to have the files unziped correctly. I just unziped both saves into the UDATA directory, but reading this on the web http://webpages.charter.net/mrmiscellanious/xbx/gamehacks_tut.html

For Splinter Cell users, open up to the folder that has the folder UDATA . Create a new folder called TDATA. You should now have two folders: UDATA and TDATA. Open up the UDATA folder, and then go into the 21585554 folder. Open up the 000000000000 folder, and select and cut (control + x) all of the files in the folder. Go back to UDATA, and this time open up the 5553000c folder. Open up the folder 8D5BCE250B35, and then paste (control + v) all of the files into the folder. Then, go into WinrRar, and zip the UDATA and TDATA folders into a single ZIP file. Do this by selecting both folders, then right-clicking on them and selecting 'Add to archive...', then Archive format 'ZIP'.

I'm lost now....
One last try? If someone could send me the save games in the correct directory format? So I can then transfer this to my USB memory drive or I could send someone the drive for it to be copied.

Failing that I might just install a hardware mod instead.

Ryan

what_the
2nd February 2008, 06:47 AM
I bypassed all that mucking around. I used my already modded xbox to ftp the game save to. Then I just plugged in the usb memory key.

Came up with "not formatted" do you wish to do that now? So Yep

Then I simply went to memory option on the main blade screen of trhe xbox and copied game save from hdd to mem card.

Now I just keep that mem card aside as my permanent flashing stick.

If you have someone with an already modded xbox then do this. It will take all of five minutes and is hassle free.

DevoDave
2nd February 2008, 12:18 PM

Anywhere on the web. If you are just after one, then http://www.acegamestore.com/product.aspx?BrandID=29&ReturnURL=%2fproducts.aspx%3fBrandCategoryID%3d29&ProductID=464 these guys charge $20 including shipping. There are many other places, both here and overseas.

Ryan555
2nd February 2008, 02:54 PM
I bypassed all that mucking around. I used my already modded xbox to ftp the game save to. Then I just plugged in the usb memory key.

Came up with "not formatted" do you wish to do that now? So Yep

Then I simply went to memory option on the main blade screen of trhe xbox and copied game save from hdd to mem card.

Now I just keep that mem card aside as my permanent flashing stick.

If you have someone with an already modded xbox then do this. It will take all of five minutes and is hassle free.

Doing a Softmod seems quite easy, but the hard part is trying to get the saved games onto a memory card/USB drive. All the Softmod guides use Action Replay to copy to a USB drive, simply drag and drop the zip file. I could not get the Action Replay software to recognize my USB dirve. So I used Xplorer360 which worked, but you can not just drag and drop the zip file as it would just stay zipped up on the USB drive.

I don't know of anyone with a modified Xbox, unless someone is willing to copy the saved game on to my USB drive if I send it to them I will do a hardware mod instead.

I am still interested to know how you copied the save game to a modified xbox. As it would have to be unzipped and in the correct directorys etc. for the xbox to recognize it as a valid saved game?
I guess the hard part about Splinter Cell it is the only one out of the 3 games to have 2 saved games for the softmod.

Ryan555
3rd February 2008, 05:10 PM
Doing a Softmod seems quite easy, but the hard part is trying to get the saved games onto a memory card/USB drive. All the Softmod guides use Action Replay to copy to a USB drive, simply drag and drop the zip file. I could not get the Action Replay software to recognize my USB dirve. So I used Xplorer360 which worked, but you can not just drag and drop the zip file as it would just stay zipped up on the USB drive.

I don't know of anyone with a modified Xbox, unless someone is willing to copy the saved game on to my USB drive if I send it to them I will do a hardware mod instead.

I am still interested to know how you copied the save game to a modified xbox. As it would have to be unzipped and in the correct directorys etc. for the xbox to recognize it as a valid saved game?
I guess the hard part about Splinter Cell it is the only one out of the 3 games to have 2 saved games for the softmod.

I have found some info on the Splinter Cell save games here: http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox.shtml
it still does not explain it totally but I have decided to do a hardware mod now.
So I might try and transfer the save games over to my USB drive (for what its worth) once I get my xbox hardware modified.
I will probably buy Duo X2 or a Xecuter 2.6 CE.

Ryan

Ryan555
5th February 2008, 12:14 AM
Woohooo! I have managed to to copy the softmod files onto the xbox.....details tomorrow as it is time for :sleep

Ryan555
6th February 2008, 12:03 AM
I got the Softmod to work!

All I had to do was not use the UDATA directory just copy each directory after the UDATA directory to the USB memory card.

Now to work out how to add a larger HDD.......

Ryan555
10th February 2008, 03:27 PM
Got a new 250Gb HDD (Samsung SP2514N) ran xbhdm 1.9 created ISO from original Xbox HDD. Formated the new drive and locked it. Installed new HDD and powered up the Xbox ran Softmod game exploit. It came up with an error saying that I didn't have correct dash (5960) but I did..........so start again.

Downloaded Slayer's 2.7 final, extracted the Slayer's ISO with Qwix, made another ISO with xbhdm using Slayer's oringinal MS dash C:
Unlocked the HDD, formated the HDD again using the new ISO. Locked the HDD. Ran the Softmod game exploit again and this time it worked!

I have finally Softmod my xbox!

I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time, as I bought the Xbox second hand maybe someone had messed with it?

So now I am going to look into installing XBMC. Has anyone installed XBMC on a Unleash X softmod Xbox before? Any pointers would be appreciated.

sairuk
10th February 2008, 07:13 PM
Has anyone installed XBMC on a Unleash X softmod Xbox before? Any pointers would be appreciated.

depends, did you use the ndure installer? if so simply upload the XBMC files to /E/Dashboard/ (backup original directory) which is your virtual c: reboot and and you are done.

Mickey Juice
11th April 2008, 09:14 PM
Would there be any reason why a softmod xbox wouldn't boot properly without an a/v cable attached?

sairuk
12th April 2008, 08:47 AM
Would there be any reason why a softmod xbox wouldn't boot properly without an a/v cable attached?

Only xboxes with a replacement bios (tsop or chip) will function without the AV cable. Softmod doesnt patch that function afaik.