PDA

View Full Version : Gamers Revival

elvis
27th April 2006, 12:26 PM
A few buddies and myself started this for a laugh:
http://www.gamersrevival.com/

Concentrating mostly on retro console hardware and software, but occasionally delving into old computers, arcade, pinball, and other retro goodness.

For myself, I'm going to try and follow a pattern of reviewing one mainstream title, followed by a more obscure one, and then rinse and repeat. I don't want to alienate either group (the mainstream nor the hardcore collectors).

Just a couple of blokes who got the shits with classicgaming.com and 1up.com, and wanted something a little different.

Ric
27th April 2006, 12:49 PM
already had a squiz and it looks great

also great to have an uastrlian perspective for these things ocnsdiering Australia missed out or at least it was near impossible to find certain consoles and titles

Ric

elvis
27th April 2006, 12:56 PM
Speaking of Aussie consoles - there's sweet **** all info on the web about my first computer/console - the Sega SC-3000H (distributed by John Sands in Oceana). There's heaps about the keyboardless US and Japanese SG-1000. Yes they are much the same technology wise, but they were aimed at different audiences.

Anyways... that has prompted me to dig out my old SC-3000H, blow the dust off it, load the sucker up and do a whopping big article on it. I'm even going to try record some movies of gameplay via my TV capture card. My very first shmup was "Vortex Blaster", and there is but ONE site on the entire 'net that even refers to it (no screengrabs, no downloads, merely a name reference only). Time to put this classic "down on paper" as it were.

Time consuming, but hella fun. :)

Mickey Juice
27th April 2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah read all the articles/reviews this morning. Looks promosing. I liked the mario 2 article.
An Aussie perspective would be great, esp. how most of our retro "history" comes from the states, sometimes forgetting we only got certain systems a few months/.years after the US

alessiman
27th April 2006, 01:33 PM
I have an old Sinclair ZX Spectrum and a few games that still load floating around

One of them is the famous Elite with Lenslock

I know its not a console but it might be fun seeing the old lenslock in action and to see games like KnightLore and Underwurlde being played the way they had originally meant too

The Pinny Parlour
27th April 2006, 01:47 PM
Sites looks great Dan, nicely done boys. :)

Ric
27th April 2006, 02:30 PM
the oldest thing i have (and I think i still have it) is and old hanimex plug and play that has pong etc - v basic but used to love it as a kid

elvis
27th April 2006, 02:45 PM
the oldest thing i have (and I think i still have it) is and old hanimex plug and play that has pong etc - v basic but used to love it as a kid
I've got something like that. No idea if it's Hanimex. It's got a light gun too! That was something I didn't realise was developed so early in gaming history.

The games suck. Standard pong/tennis games. The lightgun game has a white rectangluar bar that bounces around on a black screen, and you have to shoot it. Three misses, and you're out. Hit it often enough, and the write ractangle shrinks (I'm assuming that represents making it to a harder level). Boring as piss, but damned interesting considering it's age. :)