PDA

View Full Version : 1066-in-1

jabz
21st January 2008, 07:06 PM
Should have my 1066 from Gamedude soon.

Just getting things ready for install. I was comparing standard Jamma pinout to the Jamma pinout in the manual of the 1066 board found here http://www.jammaboards.com/arcade_manuals/1066-in-1_Games_Family_Manual.pdf

2 questions..
1. the VIDEO Ground on the Standard Jamma pin 14, doesn't appear in the 1066 manual, where would we connect this then? To the normal ground pins A,B,1,2,E,F,27,28?

2. The 1066 manual Jamma connector pinouts show Plyr1 and Plyr2 buttons 1 to 5. And also a seperate section for Plyr 1&2 buttons 5 & 6.

Standard Jamma has Plyr 1&2 Buttons 1-3 only
Where is the correct place to wire the Plyr1&2 buttons 4 ,5 & 6?

thanks
Jai

spacies
21st January 2008, 07:16 PM
Video ground can be connected to PIN 14 or 1,2, 27 or 28.

Depending on which model PCB you get, the buttons can wire to a small daughter board, or somewhere on the PCB itself.

Gamedude will let you know.

GameDude
21st January 2008, 09:42 PM
Gamedude will let you know.

Oh I will hey.... maybe :badgrin maybe NOT!!!:badgrin:badgrin

JAMMA buttons 4 is wired on the JAMMA harness after button 3
Buttons 5 can either be on the harness after button 4 or it can be on the "kick harness"
Button 6 must be wired on the "kick" harness only.

jabz
23rd January 2008, 07:50 AM
thanks,
The 1066 pinout also shows pin M is GND, do i need to loop a ground here from another GND? Since the Jamma harness shows this is NC.

And if I use your method of using a power connector from the 1066 ATX PSU to power the Jamma board.
Can I just remove the power connector from the Cabinet switching PSU and all will be ok?

Is there a volume control anywhere?

I have purchased a new cab so will post up pics, not using the 21" SF2 Champion Cab anymore...

Syzlack
23rd January 2008, 01:35 PM
I have purchased a new cab so will post up pics, not using the 21" SF2 Champion Cab anymore...

Are you going to sell it, if so where you located & how much?

GameDude
23rd January 2008, 02:01 PM
thanks,
The 1066 pinout also shows pin M is GND, do i need to loop a ground here from another GND? Since the Jamma harness shows this is NC.

And if I use your method of using a power connector from the 1066 ATX PSU to power the Jamma board.
Can I just remove the power connector from the Cabinet switching PSU and all will be ok?

Is there a volume control anywhere?

You should connect it, it shows NC but is actually joined to common GND, some monitors dont work well without GND

Yes you can remove the current PSU and just use the ATX PSU to power the JAMMA connector RED is +5volts and yellow is +12volts both are needed on the JAMMA harness otherwise no sound and no controls is the result.

Stereo volume is on the top PCB

jabz
23rd January 2008, 02:16 PM
Are you going to sell it, if so where you located & how much?

Yup will do but I am in New Zealand so will sell it locally. Sorry.

spacies
23rd January 2008, 02:53 PM
Yup will do but I am in New Zealand so will sell it locally. Sorry.

Oh, another kiwi!
I sell those PCBs here.

jabz
23rd January 2008, 09:42 PM
Oh, another kiwi!
I sell those PCBs here.

Yep, oh didn't know.. will pm you for other PCB's

Yes you can remove the current PSU and just use the ATX PSU to power the JAMMA connector RED is +5volts and yellow is +12volts both are needed on the JAMMA harness otherwise no sound and no controls is the result.

Got some pics up in this thread
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=11514
so now eaiser to point out what I'm talking about.

The Arcade PSU is wired nicely but confuses me a little. Jamma connector to the PSU is removed.
There are a few wires connected to the chassis I presume GND, so I should leave that bottom plug in the PSU in? Those wires go here (showin in last pic)
Since this will still power the Marquee light? The Fuse and Back On/Off switch will still be functioning too then?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/2214309760_0026279b45_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2306/2213516933_14461910ae_b.jpg

spacies
24th January 2008, 07:12 AM
The bottom plug is the Power feed to the PSU.
If you run it as Gamedude described using the ATX only, you won't need this PSU. Disconnect that bottom plug so that PSU is not running while the machine is on.

jabz
31st January 2008, 11:35 PM
I assume these 1066 boards are running Windows 2000 after reading a few posts, isn't it bad to just turn it off when no longer playing with the cab?

Is there some proper shutdown procedure?

DKong
31st January 2008, 11:54 PM
One of my biggest gripes about emulation is it mainly on Microshit software, most ****ed up OS IMO. Yeah people use this shit everyday and thats why we have MAME, but its so cumbersome, crap, con thing ever!
And the xbox 360 with it's ring of death Bwahh just push it out to consumers without testing.
When will people wake up.

Yeah so don't go emulation unless you really have to, like a wise man (AK) told me, once the real thing is better:)

jabz
1st February 2008, 10:50 AM
mmmmm I'll look into it. Cloning the HDD, upgrading the ram and cpu just now.

spacies
1st February 2008, 11:28 AM
Definately clone the HDD.
Upgrading the CPU and RAM is a good idea as well.

jabz
1st February 2008, 01:45 PM
Ok the Ram upgrade and clone was successful. Will post pics etc soon.

However the CPU not so, I have a Northwood Socket 478 3.2GHz P4 CPU, which I attempted to put in, the board will boot but will only report it at 1.60GHz (100x16.0).
Adjusting the BIOS settings didn't work. There is no clock multiplier setting, so I dropped the Celeron 1.7GHz back in and went into the BIOS and it shows the clock multiplier setting just fine.

I have 2GB RAM in there. When I boot with the Celeron 1.7 it shows 32MB shared Mem for video.
When I boot with the 3.2GHz P4 it shows only 8MB shared Mem for video, must require a BIOS update to recognise P4 3Ghz CPUs

So it seems I may need to upgrade the BIOS on the board?, First I need to identify what brand/model it is, there are no markings on the board.

BIOS Boot Screen shows..
SIS651/650/645, S962-01 (4M)

04/08/2006-SiS-651-6A6IXRMAC-00

Dorian have you been successful in upgrading to a P4 3.2 or 3.0?
Do you know what brand/model this mainboard is?

I have connected a Ethernet cable to the NIC, will explore that later.
So for now I want to play some games :)

jabz
1st February 2008, 02:43 PM
Pics as promised.

It's fairly easy to remove the top board, just be careful not to damage the ribbon cables which connect the Jamma board to the mainboard.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2185/2234168106_93c3a58243_b.jpg

To connect to a PC VGA monitor, you have to removed the screwed in DSUB which connects to the top board.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2233380383_9b90463816_b.jpg

Top Jamma board with removed DSUB adapter.

Interesting to note the top board has a "Download" Header on it, anyone know how it is used? Didn't come with a ribbon cable for it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2392/2234168422_40cc1c4428_b.jpg

Top Boot the mainboard, I had to short the "Reset" pins, I used a small flat blade screw driver.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2032/2234168506_0cc186186c_b.jpg

BIOS Boot screen

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2234168610_a861d70984_b.jpg

BIOS Boot screens, see where it says press F10 to start Genius program. That is to boot Ghost to clone the drive over. It is quite Genius :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2096/2233380871_3b407b9ac9_b.jpg

Ghost screen
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/2233381151_0139028e82_b.jpg

Running Asian lang Windows 2000?, The screen blanks after this since it changes the display mode to 15KHz.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/2234168866_6dfec4d4c1_b.jpg

The "Clock" Ratio setting only shows when the Celeron 1.7GHz is in there, when I put my 3.2GHz P4 it doesn't show and only detects it as 1.6GHz

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/2234169128_b51164a83f_b.jpg

GameDude
1st February 2008, 03:43 PM
04/08/2006-SiS-651-6A6IXRMAC-00

Dorian have you been successful in upgrading to a P4 3.2 or 3.0?
Do you know what brand/model this mainboard is?

The SiS 651 chipset only supports 400/533 FSB so you can run up to 3Ghz P4 but you need to find the 533FSB version, Multipliers are handles by the cpu so you cant change that.

You wont need to flash the BIOS

Wob
1st February 2008, 03:58 PM
Did you system get a BSOD when attempting to boot with a Monitor connected? If I disconnect the DSub to the top board and connect a monitor it starts to load and then ends with a BSOD.

Cheers,
Wob

jabz
1st February 2008, 07:54 PM
Did you system get a BSOD when attempting to boot with a Monitor connected? If I disconnect the DSub to the top board and connect a monitor it starts to load and then ends with a BSOD.

Cheers,
Wob

Nup didn't get a BSOD, I got the windows 2000 asian txt screen as shown in the pic, then the screen goes back with a blinking cursor in the top left still loading I assue.
Then it goes completely black since I assume it has changed the screen res to 15KHz.

The annoying thing is since it is running an Asian version of Windows 2000, you cant make out some file and dir names as it is in that language I guess.

The SiS 651 chipset only supports 400/533 FSB so you can run up to 3Ghz P4 but you need to find the 533FSB version, Multipliers are handles by the cpu so you cant change that.

mmm those are a bit hard to find...

jabz
2nd February 2008, 09:31 AM
Found one, will this work? Although it says mobile.

SL7X5 (Intel Mobile Pentium 4) With 1MB Cache

General information
Type CPU / Microprocessor
Family Intel Mobile Pentium 4
Processor number 548
Part number RK80546HE0931M
Frequency (GHz) 3.33
Bus speed (MHz) 533
Package type 478-pin FC-mPGA4

Architecture / Microarchitecture / Other
CPUID 0F41h
Core stepping E0
Manufacturing technology (micron) 0.09
L2 cache size (KB) 1024
Core voltage (V) 1.25 - 1.4
Case temperature (C) 75
Hyper-Threading YES

GameDude
2nd February 2008, 04:21 PM
No... 3Ghz northwood maximum.... plenty around problem is most are still in use....

jabz
2nd February 2008, 10:17 PM
k, found a 2.8GHz 512/533 Socket 478 Northwood. Close enough :)

jabz
8th February 2008, 04:29 PM

Ok So I got a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood 533FSB Socket 478 CPU.
I popped that in, and the mainboard Bios boot detected it as

P4 2.10GHz (100x21.0)

I am missing 700MHz!! It seems the mainboard is applying the wrong cpu bus speed? If I go into the BIOS and change the "CPU Frequency" has 3 choices, "Default", "100" and "133"
If I change it to "133" since 133x21 = 2793 close enough. It wont take the change the boot screen still shows P4 2.10GHz (100x21.0). When this CPU is in the system the BIOS doesnt show the CPU clock ratio setting. But when the 1.7Celery is in it does...

On the chip it says

Pentium 4
2.80GHz /512/533
SL6QB Costa Rica

Any idea what brand/model these 1066-in-1 mainboard are?

GameDude
9th February 2008, 04:56 PM
The boards are china... ECS-PC-Chips makes them but you may not find the exact model as OEM usually is not listed.

The 133 is the correct speed (P4 quad pumped = 133 x 4 =533Mhz)

Your problem with regards to keeping cmos settings is probably down to the CMOS cable that links the two boards has been put back on the wrong way round.
I had a look at the board and when you had it apart you may have put the cable back the wrong way or china did:lol
If its left in the CLEAR CMOS the board still boots but with default settings, flip the cable around (its the three pin one)

Oh and with the P4 you may have to attach the extra 4pin CPU power as it may not be stable without it.

Give that a go

jabz
9th February 2008, 09:27 PM
The boards are china... ECS-PC-Chips makes them but you may not find the exact model as OEM usually is not listed.

The 133 is the correct speed (P4 quad pumped = 133 x 4 =533Mhz)

Your problem with regards to keeping cmos settings is probably down to the CMOS cable that links the two boards has been put back on the wrong way round.
I had a look at the board and when you had it apart you may have put the cable back the wrong way or china did:lol
If its left in the CLEAR CMOS the board still boots but with default settings, flip the cable around (its the three pin one)

Oh and with the P4 you may have to attach the extra 4pin CPU power as it may not be stable without it.

Give that a go

Ok attached the 4PIN CPU power.
I had a look at the CMOS cable, and it was the right way around, if you turn it around the board doesn't boot, doesn't powerup.
The BIOS settings still dont stick, i.e. cdrom first on boot, 64MB shared, 133 CPU freq, they only stick on a reboot i.e. the power is maintained.
Also the FSB setting does stick in the BIOS only if you reboot not power off, but the board still boots at 100x21
Why would the CMOS cable for the top jamma board, have anything to do with retaining the settings? The CMOS battery is on the mainboard it self. What does the CMOS cable for the topboard do?

I have managed to boot into the full Windows 2000 shell, there is a registry setting which has the shell running Babystar.exe instead. Changed that to explorer.exe and its running fine. (more details on this later after I have sorted the CPU,CMOS stuff) btw Win2k Identifies the CPU correctly as a 2.8GHz, si-soft sandra also does but says it is running at 2.10Ghz because the FSB is 100x21
I enabled the NIC, and found that it wouldnt get an IP address, I changed drivers etc, I then installed a PCI Realtek based card and it worked fine got an IP address.
I then went into the BIOS and found the SIS 900 was enabled, but had no MAC address set, so I set it with a MAC address and rebooted into WIN2k and it worked fine after that. But this poses a problem, cause when I pull the power the BIOS will lose the setting. And I'm back at the same problem.

I then investigated this CMOS cable further, and it connects the the CMOS reset pins on the mainboard pin 1-2 Clears CMOS pin 2-3 Retains it.
I moved it over 1 pin, so it only connects to PIN 2-3. And that works fine to retain the BIOS settings :) (baffled why it still is connected to topboard, when they could have just jumpered the mainboard pins)

BUT, yes there is a BUT the mainboard still boots at 100x21 regardless of the BIOS setting. So with the 2.8GHz CPU the board is stuck at 2.10GHz (100x21FSB)
I have 2 x 1GB DDR400 RAM
I checked the ECS/PC Chips website http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Products/Category_Product.aspx?MenuID=1&LanID=2
they only list 1 SIS651 board, and it doesn't resemble anything like this one.

Dorian, or anyone else have you confirmed to have got the board to work with a 2.8/3GHz CPU?
Do I have a dud board?

GameDude
9th February 2008, 11:24 PM
check battery voltage.
It wont be a dud board, I think the cable forces a standard BIOS configuration so stupid users wont stuff the board from posting and send it back.

Try just ading the jumper directly to the motherboard like normal, there is screen print there to say which is clear and which is normal.

jabz
10th February 2008, 11:04 AM
check battery voltage.
It wont be a dud board, I think the cable forces a standard BIOS configuration so stupid users wont stuff the board from posting and send it back.

Try just ading the jumper directly to the motherboard like normal, there is screen print there to say which is clear and which is normal.

I've done that and it retains the settings fine now, the CPU frequency setting is retained at 133Mhz (FSB setting) but the board still only boots at 2.10GHz 100 x 21 multiplier withthe 2.8GHz CPU.

Have you got a board there with a P4 2.8GHz CPU you can confirm with?
Maybe need a BIOS update to boot at the correct FSB for the 2.8GHz P4, although since it maybe a OEM board by PC CHips there maybe no user flashable bios download. Could be a bug.

Next option for me would be to try a 2.8GHz Celeron 400FSB

spacies
10th February 2008, 11:08 AM
Next option would be to buy a spec PC and an Arcade VGA.

Arcade King
10th February 2008, 12:50 PM
Next option would be to buy a spec PC and an Arcade VGA.

I agree, too much work IMO.

jabz
10th February 2008, 01:09 PM
Its only cause I'm trying to hack, upgrade the CPU..
If a Celeron 2.8 works then its all good, $60 vs $$$

GameDude
10th February 2008, 02:45 PM
Celeron would be just as good as the P4 for mame, with mame its all about the Mhz

jabz
18th February 2008, 10:11 PM
Success! With a Northwood Celeron 2.8GHz the board correctly boots at 100x28 at 2.8GHz...

So it seems at this stage this is the highest CPU that works.
There is some kind of issue with 533FSB 2.8 - 3.GHz P4 Northwood cpus in this board.

GameDude
19th February 2008, 08:59 AM
good stuff, thats all you need anyway, the power of the P4 is wasted on mame

Dan
19th February 2008, 03:17 PM
Is the Northwood Celeron 2.8GHz a straight plug in? I have the p4 1066 in 1 board and wouldn't mind upgrading it. Have no probs swapping all the bits over, not too sure about bios and software changes. How much memory should i be running?

jabz
20th February 2008, 09:14 PM
Is the Northwood Celeron 2.8GHz a straight plug in? How much memory should i be running?
Yes it is. I am running 2GB, however 1Gb should be enough.

jabz
20th February 2008, 09:34 PM
(more details on this later after I have sorted the CPU,CMOS stuff)

Ok so some details on the software on this 1066.

As you know it's running Windows 2000 Chinese Language version, makes it a bitch to navigate.
It boots straight into Mamewah, as the shell has been replaced with it.
Network and other services have all been disabled. CTRL+ALT+DEL works but you cannot start task manager. You can press "Q" to exit from the Mamewah front end, however you are left with a black screen and no shell so none of the Windows keyboard shortcuts work and no right click.

What I did was attach a CDROM to the board and used a ERD Commander boot cd and booted with that, then I choose C:\Winnt as the system in ERD.

From here in ERD I enabled the network drivers and started Registry editor.
Navigate to the following key

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Winnt\Winlogon

and change the value for "SHELL"

from
c:\emu\batch\babyini.bat
to
explorer.exe

then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System
DisableTaskMgr
change the value from 1 to 0

This enables the taskmanager when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL, so you can "RUN" other programs or explorer.exe
There are other policies here you can enable as well, such as right click on the Start bar etc..

I then rebooted and installed UltraVNC as a service for remote desktop purposes.
I installed Firefox portable incase I need a browser.

I then changed the Shell back to boot into Mamewah frontend (reverse of above)

Now I can add new ROMS and edit the config files via the network and I can remote desktop into the machine, exit the frontend, then issue a CTRL+ALT+DEL from VNC and run taskmanager from there can run any program i.e. Explorer.exe

Wob
24th February 2008, 03:44 PM
Hey Jabz,

Any chance you can make a ghost image of your system less the ROMS (to save space)and get it online? Or I'm happy to pay postage if you can ship it to me on DVD's. I'm interested to try another image and see if it gets past the bluescreen mine does when attempting to boot from VGA.

Also has anyone tried a custom install on one of these boxes? use another frontend etc?

Thanks,
Beau

jabz
24th February 2008, 06:19 PM
Hey Jabz,

Any chance you can make a ghost image of your system less the ROMS (to save space)and get it online? Or I'm happy to pay postage if you can ship it to me on DVD's. I'm interested to try another image and see if it gets past the bluescreen mine does when attempting to boot from VGA.

Also has anyone tried a custom install on one of these boxes? use another frontend etc?

Thanks,
Beau

Sure I'll PM you the details when I have uploaded it without ROMS.

Update: Ok have managed to upload it without ROMS, it's about 1.6GB. Have sent PM.

Wob
5th March 2008, 11:05 AM
Heya, Update on my fiddling.

I worked out the BSOD issue, it was related to not having power to the top board while it was still connected. Not sure why but this causes a BSOD, so either disconnect all the plugs to the top board or make sure the JAMMA side is powered.

I used your image jabz, this was initially to help sort out my BSOD but that wasn't needed, I have noticed that the load time is better though, not sure what is slowing my image down as they both look identical.

I have managed to enable task manager and networking thanks to the tips from jabz.

I have managed to add some extra games, a strange issue I have is with Mortal Kombat (the original) I have added MK and MK3 to the list, MK2 and MK3 both work fine ad decent frame rates but the original runs like a dog. Doesn't make much sense to me but still looking into why.

I decided to install MAME 0.120 as an extra emulator option , added a game3 folder and modified the batch file to run a couple of the newly added games with it. Only issue is when it runs it screws up the Video Mode, seems to change from the 15khz output, so I need to work out why it does this with the new MAME and not the old one.

The other thing I need to do is copy the controller config from an existing MAME version to the new one, but it doesn't appear to be defined in the crtl folder, and anyone point me at the MAME file that contains the controller config?

Wob

TheAvatar
12th March 2008, 02:13 AM
been reading this thread and ordered a 1066-in-1 from a local in Canada...

anyone know if a INTEL Celeron Socket 478 CPU Chip 2.93ghz would work?

I noticed a P4 has problems with the board.

jabz
13th March 2008, 07:51 PM
been reading this thread and ordered a 1066-in-1 from a local in Canada...

anyone know if a INTEL Celeron Socket 478 CPU Chip 2.93ghz would work?

I noticed a P4 has problems with the board.

I doubt it, thats a Prescott core 533MHz, the board doesn't want to clock at 133 bus speed, and I think only accepts northwood core.

You could give it a go and post your results if you already have the CPU.

TheAvatar
19th March 2008, 08:49 AM
Managed to find a 2.8ghz Celeron Northwood 400fsb socket 478 chip on ebay for $17US .... Was shipped today !

I have an extra 2gig of ram I'm going to put in as well.

Thankz for the info Jabz on "tweaking" the box !

I think I may setup a wireless USB controller on it and use the VNC idea, providing I can enable usb on the board.

jabz
26th March 2008, 08:36 PM
I emailed Excellentcom to see if they can get a P4 3GHz working, they contacted the supplier here is what they said..
Not so sure about the 2.8GHz comment as we have Celeron 2.8 working fine.

Hi Jai

I got the reply from the supplier. but they said

"" Sorry we system only support 2.4Ghz cpu, if up to 2.8Ghz cpu it will be overload, also the main board cannot support , and will make our main board unstable, if you want over 3.0Ghz cpu you also need to change the maid board system """"
Fannie

TheAvatar
27th March 2008, 12:45 AM
ok this makes no sense !

How do you change the main board and configure windows 2k to run corrently?.... would it not crash when booting up into 2k, since the motherboard drivers would be different? Pluss this is a bit of a custom board. They soldered one of the connections to the buttom of the main for to the PS/2 port if I recall correctly.

Might be worth a shot to try.

jabz
27th May 2008, 09:32 PM
Can a mod please move this thread to the Multiboards section. thanks.

Davefjedi
28th May 2008, 08:04 AM
Can a mod please move this thread to the Multiboards section. thanks.
Good call missed that one:redface