PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam Restoration Started

63wizz
15th January 2008, 08:01 AM
Hi Guys

I have started restoring my 1972 Gottlieb Grand Slam a couple of days ago.

I have stripped it down,bogged up a few patches in the cabinet, sanded and got the main paint color on so far.

pictures here if anyone is interested
http://wiseman63.googlepages.com/grandslam

cheers Ian :D

Ric
15th January 2008, 08:36 AM
two questions Ian

1) your cabinet has white stencilling however the flyer shows red - are you going to go with red or white stencilling

2) what do you use for your stencil material - I am about to restencil my Royal Guard

Strangeways
15th January 2008, 08:47 AM
Great Start Ian - Awesome pictures... :cool:

I'm also thinking about going to water based paint for my next cab repaint. Quick question - What size compressor are you using ?

Keep the updates coming !

63wizz
15th January 2008, 08:49 AM
two questions Ian

1) your cabinet has white stencilling however the flyer shows red - are you going to go with red or white stencilling

2) what do you use for your stencil material - I am about to restencil my Royal Guard

Hi Ric

1) good question about the red and the white,i was going white because the machine i have had white,i cant work out why it is white, but it looked like it was original, but when i sanded it it had the burgandy red under the white :unsure

2) I work at a paper mill in Tas and when the reams of paper are wrapped they use a paper wrapper with a plastic lining on one side, like a icy pole wrapper

so i use that with a spray contact glue, you just spray the glue on the plastic side of the stencil, stick it to the cab, spray the stencil color, and the stencil just peals off no probs

Strangeways
15th January 2008, 08:49 AM
two questions Ian

Ric - I've always used .005 or .007 clear acetate sheets. You can buy on a roll or in sheets from art shops.

63wizz
15th January 2008, 09:00 AM
Great Start Ian - Awesome pictures... :cool:

I'm also thinking about going to water based paint for my next cab repaint. Quick question - What size compressor are you using ?

Keep the updates coming !

Hi Strangeways

I bought a easy sprayer 10 odd years ago from Kmart (also seen them at C I G gas shops)when i was doing a lot of wood working, for spraying varnish

compressors and guns were still very expensive back then,but now very cheap

Ric
15th January 2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the tips

I was looking at using contact but the acetate sounds like a good alternative

Crafty
15th January 2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Strangeways

I bought a easy sprayer 10 odd years ago from Kmart (also seen them at C I G gas shops)when i was doing a lot of wood working, for spraying varnish

Thats the exact same one I have. Man I've sprayed fences, sheds and now my lowboy with it and it's still going strong. Would recommend as an alternative to a full blown compressor set up..:D

Nice web page on you're restoration. Looking forward to more photos as you progress.

63wizz
16th January 2008, 01:15 PM
Done the black webbing/splatter yesterday,it came up pretty good i think

added: also done the cabinet artwork

63wizz
18th January 2008, 10:28 PM
just added some more pictures of my progress :rolleyes

Strangeways
18th January 2008, 10:35 PM
You are putting a lot of time and effort into this one, Ian. The results so far are excellent. Keep going !!

terry007
19th January 2008, 07:01 AM
Looks great so far. Well done on a fine job.
Looking fwd to seeing it all back together.

dmworking247
19th January 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Strangeways

Thats the same as I've borrwed for my bartop cabinet projects too. It seems fine but then I don't have a lot to compare it to. I do think it seems to either be TOO fine (that you can barely see the paint on) or too strong at a close distance (I know there's a sray volume knob but in general it seems to be too wide or something?)

I was considering buying a Wagner 'airless' gun that looked kind of like this, but I've got a lot more research to do:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:vOeP112dO09U4M:http://www.homeright.com/product/C800521_h3f.jpg

Ian, thats an awesome restore so far... I hope I can learn some of those skills (and most importantly, get faster at it... it seems to take me months to organise a stencil, find the right paint, set everything up, get more sandpaper, etc etc).

How long do you reckon it taken you so far (hours) ?

spacies
19th January 2008, 07:34 PM
Buy a cheap compressor DM and an automotive spray gun. Those Wagner and stuff suck.

Nice work on the Pin.
Its gonna look wicked its done!

dmworking247
19th January 2008, 07:36 PM
Spacies, if you were to rate them out of 10 then (forget brand), and consider it is JUST for paint (take other air tools out of the equation):

Air compressor and gun <$250
Dedicated compressor gun like Ian's using
"Airless" gun

Sorry for the slight off-topic Ian :)

spacies
19th January 2008, 07:47 PM
Air compressor and gun <$250. This will give you the best results bar none. 10/10 if you do it right. Its the most forgiving too. These can be used with oil based paints but for the best results, use automotive paint.

Dedicated compressor gun like Ian's using. These are ok but do not come close IMO to the finish of the above. Can be used with oil and water based paints. 6/10

"Airless" gun. Not suitable. These are a pump. Very expensive (I have 2 worth about 6k). Not an HVLP system. Good for painting your house but not arcade machines. 0/10

I have painted many cars and video games ( I have built a few (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5432451&uid=2715941) ) . If you want it perfect, use number 1. Although none of you guys have seen anything I have built you have to take my word for it.

63wizz
20th January 2008, 09:37 PM
How long do you reckon it taken you so far (hours) ?[/QUOTE]

dmworking i Dont really know,how many hours i have spent on Grand Slam :unsure

I have just spent most of the day pulling the score reels and credit unit apart and cleaning every part :)

i still have the ball count unit to do, and that will finish off the head box

waiting on some krylon triple thick from Wayne so i can seal the back glass

i havnt touched the playfield yet, waiting for novus and leg bolts from Mark, I have all new rubbers and coil sleeves and leg levelers from Mark , all these parts are here when i start the playfield :confused:

acejas
26th January 2008, 03:03 PM
Mate,

What colour and brand is that blue? seems the same as a Lethal Weapon 3. Im going vinyl wrap but where vinyl meets, i might put a coat underneath to fill in any gaps. Much like wotto did with his cab rebuild

jyebow
26th January 2008, 03:26 PM
just added some more pictures of my progress :rolleyes

The resto is looking good .Can't wait to see it finished.
It's great to see the progress of another Gottlieb EM Pinball being restored.
Well done.
Cheers steve.

63wizz
26th January 2008, 08:35 PM
Mate,

What colour and brand is that blue? seems the same as a Lethal Weapon 3. Im going vinyl wrap but where vinyl meets, i might put a coat underneath to fill in any gaps. Much like wotto did with his cab rebuild

Hi acejas

the paint brand is WATTYL, and the color is Marseilles Blue

bossninja17
26th January 2008, 10:25 PM
Dear Ian
I am restoring a Gottlieb Pro Football. I bought it disassembled and have got it working about 30%. Having trouble getting the points (touchdowns) and 1,000 points to score properly. Also, a previous owner painted the cabinet black. I have begun using Goof-Off to get back to the original paintwork. Your restoration has inspired me to do a better job than I am currently doing. I'll post some photos soon and would appreciate any advice.
Mark

63wizz
8th February 2008, 08:26 PM
I have just put up some more resto pics. :rolleyes

I have basically finished the restoration, apart from the back glass touch ups.

felixthadog
9th February 2008, 10:57 AM
I have just put up some more resto pics. :rolleyes

I have basically finished the restoration, apart from the back glass touch ups.

Congratulations, it looks fantastic! :023:

Matthew

nigelicious
9th February 2008, 11:27 AM
Sweet resto. Nice assortment of pins there!

DKong
9th February 2008, 12:31 PM
Looks great! I haven't played any of those Pins before, so when is the first Tassie meet!

Strangeways
9th June 2008, 11:35 PM
Awesome Job, Ian. It's hard work repainting an EM Cabinet, but very rewarding when completed as well as you have done. I really like your attention to detail, as so often restoration jobs become so big that the smaller details are left out due to the size of the project.

Best Grand Slam I'll ever see. Congrats.