PDA

View Full Version : Converting TV speakers to work with PC

samps8
14th January 2008, 12:14 PM
I've recently replaced the TV chassis in my upright cabinet with a dual res unit, however I still have the two stereo speakers and sub from the old TV installed behind my marquee and I'm happy with the sound quality.

What's the easiest way to connect these to a sound card? I'm guessing they need an amp that will take the input from the sound card and split it into the 3 pairs of wires that go to the L/R/sub speakers?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Berty
14th January 2008, 07:00 PM
I depends on the speakers. Usually in a 2.1 system, the sub is powered and the L and R speakers operate of it as "satellite" speakers.

If it isnt powered then you will need an amp, or a stereo amp and a mono amp. You can but them in kit form from places like jaycar, but for the effort, you are probably best just buying a cheap 2.1 system.

DKong
14th January 2008, 07:06 PM
I depends on the speakers. Usually in a 2.1 system, the sub is powered and the L and R speakers operate of it as "satellite" speakers.

If it isnt powered then you will need an amp, or a stereo amp and a mono amp. You can but them in kit form from places like jaycar, but for the effort, you are probably best just buying a cheap 2.1 system.

agree Logitec have a cheap 2.1 PC speaker setup new for about $49.00 ATM. It would be the cheapest and easiest way to do this.

samps8
14th January 2008, 08:30 PM
Ok thanks guys. Gotta love this throw away society. :)

Arcade King
14th January 2008, 08:44 PM
agree Logitec have a cheap 2.1 PC speaker setup new for about $49.00 ATM. It would be the cheapest and easiest way to do this.

I bought some logitec speakers for $29 on the weekend and rip it apart just for the amp to run on my Entertainment Centre. Powers those 2 big 8" on the LAI cab beautifully.

samps8
6th February 2008, 08:58 AM
Which Logitech speakers did you guys go with? I'm looking for a cheapish 2.1 setup with wired remote volume and there's nothing in that price range (that I can see).

Cheers