PDA

View Full Version : How do I find if a mobile phone is "network locked"?

OzStick
13th January 2008, 01:17 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to simplify mobile phones for our kids and get them all on the same network (at this stage it will be Virgin unless I can be convinced otherwise), however after doing some reading it appears likely that one or more of their phones may be locked to their current networks.

Is there an easy way, using the phones themselves, to ascertain if they are LOCKED to a network?

I'd rather not have to spend a fortune of going to Tel$tra and Optu$ unlocking them if I can help, so if anyone has sone suggestions as to how I might unlock them myself (if they are locked)then that would be good too!

Cheers,
Chris

GEMINI
13th January 2008, 01:20 PM
wack a diff sim card in
you will know in an instant
If they are telstra pre paid they would almost certinly be locked
it is cheaper to unlock them if they have been on the network for over one year i believe

jyebow
13th January 2008, 01:53 PM
Like gemminislxau said , try a different sim.
One of my kids had a new samsung virgin prepaid & when the credit ran out we put an new optus sim in it & it works fine. But telstra were going to charge me to unlock mine even after 15 months - bastards.
hope this helps

Viper
13th January 2008, 03:29 PM
Like gemminislxau said , try a different sim.
One of my kids had a new samsung virgin prepaid & when the credit ran out we put an new optus sim in it & it works fine. But telstra were going to charge me to unlock mine even after 15 months - bastards.
hope this helps

But Virgin use Optus' network so that's no suprise, they would have been locked to the Optus network.

Most of the prepays these days state something along the lines of stay connected for 6 months or pay $80 to unlock. Alternatively recharge for $80 and unlock. Something along those lines anyway.

Simon_A
13th January 2008, 04:17 PM
I tend to buy vodafone pre paid phones, they are never network locked.

GEMINI
13th January 2008, 05:01 PM
Same Here
however i think i saw somewhere that they are becoming the same with locking of phones

I tend to buy vodafone pre paid phones, they are never network locked.

Spaced
14th January 2008, 12:15 AM
As said above put in a different companies card. Nokia's can be unlocked via a code in most cases. Telstra charge $50 for the first 6 months to unlock. 6 to 12 months it's $25. After 12 months it's free.

gints
14th January 2008, 08:06 AM
Have a search online, I've unlocked a few for friends. You get the GSM generation (DCT-3 / DCT-4 etc.) and can find unlock codes for most phones. Its generally like a *#XXXXXXXXXXXX* kind of thing to enter and then you can party like its 1999.

OzStick
14th January 2008, 02:48 PM
Have a search online, I've unlocked a few for friends. You get the GSM generation (DCT-3 / DCT-4 etc.) and can find unlock codes for most phones. Its generally like a *#XXXXXXXXXXXX* kind of thing to enter and then you can party like its 1999.

Yup, I found a utility and tried it on my son's old Nokia 1100 (want to reuse it for my daughter to replace her old CDMA handset) but managed to put in 5 codes without success, so now I have to take it to Tel$tra. It's nearly 3 years old so hopefully they won't charge me $27.50 to unlock it.

One of the others is locked to Optus but it's over 12 months old and apparently they don't charge to unlock in that situation.

I know it's probably easier to buy them new phones but they don't NEED them so I'd prefer to persist with the 3 we've got now as they all work well.

Cheers,
Chris

what_the
14th January 2008, 03:15 PM
G'day Chris.

How many handsets in total do you have to unlock and what type are they?

I have a service dept at the mobile company i work with and the head tech owes me a favour or two.

I should be able to get him to unlock them. I work in west melb. Or you can drop off at my place in box hill where you came for the monitor.

narf_
19th January 2008, 10:28 AM
nokia 1100

for a old phone these are tough as nails mine gets dropped all the time and keeps going. plus battery lasts 2 weeks

i just changed it as i need 3g