PDA

View Full Version : New jukebox software

David_AVD
13th January 2008, 11:32 AM
OK, the video jukebox software needs a name. I was going to use Vjuke or Multijuke but they seem to be taken! Any suggestions?

Here's where the project is at so far:

GUI - very rough (just for testing)
Audio playback - mp3 supported
Video playback - mpg supported
Cover art - folder & default supported
Sorting - by Artist:Album:Title or Title:Artist
Attract mode - play random track after xx seconds of inactivity
Definable media directories
Automatically removes obvious duplicates
Play delay - leave xx seconds between queued songs

oswald69
13th January 2008, 10:03 PM
How about Marmajuke :)

AdamC
13th January 2008, 10:27 PM
Any screen shots, David ?

Moose74
13th January 2008, 10:32 PM
I reckon any name without "juke" in it. More modern words like "media", eg MediaBox, MediaCab, MediaSlut, BaseBox, BoomBox, MooseBox!

Go Moosey!:p

dmworking247
13th January 2008, 10:34 PM
i-box :D

nigelicious
13th January 2008, 10:38 PM
ausJuke ;)

David_AVD
13th January 2008, 10:38 PM
Any screen shots, David ?
It's just a few list boxes, buttons and a video window scattered about on a form at present. I like to get the basic idea stable first and then make it look nice. I'm a bit stuck on this one as it needs to look good as well as be functional.

As for the name, how about Jukorama !

edit: Or J-Pod ?

Moose74
13th January 2008, 11:22 PM
Dude, Call it David's sound box for now, there is a lot of interest in trying your beta, we know its just beta so anything will rock.

Moosey rocks.

Ryan555
13th January 2008, 11:31 PM
What about ekujbox ?

David_AVD
13th January 2008, 11:34 PM
As endorsed by Yoda eh?

shooter
13th January 2008, 11:37 PM
j-pod is nice :) i like. tho check other projects probably have it already.

Also put it up on sourceforge so others can help etc ?

David_AVD
13th January 2008, 11:41 PM
j-pod is nice :) i like. tho check other projects probably have it already.

Also put it up on sourceforge so others can help etc ?
I checked for J-Pod and couldn't see any related items with the same name.
As for sourceforge, I never release any of my software as open source. Maybe I just don't play well with others! :badgrin

headkaze
14th January 2008, 08:58 AM
It's just a few list boxes, buttons and a video window scattered about on a form at present. I like to get the basic idea stable first and then make it look nice. I'm a bit stuck on this one as it needs to look good as well as be functional.

As for the name, how about Jukorama !

edit: Or J-Pod ?

I hope your not going to make another Jukebox that uses listbox, buttons and form controls for the GUI. It would be nice to see someone use a decent graphics API like Direct3d, DirectDraw or even GDI+ would look better than form controls.

BTW Have you checked out the other Jukebox software available?

There are a few active Juke developers you can talk to on the BYOAC forums. We have just designed a plugin system for Juke's called JPS (Jukebox Plugin System). You might want to incorporate that into your design.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=5.0

BTW What language are you coding this in?

David_AVD
14th January 2008, 01:13 PM
As I said, I haven't settled on anything of the GIU yet. Functionality comes first with me. Who knows what it will end up looking like.

Thanks for the link to the Arcade Controls forum. I'll check it out. I have checked out a few other jukeboxes but most of them sucked (to me) in one way or another. Some had some serious flaws, but it could be that I just never found the good ones.

David_AVD
14th January 2008, 11:15 PM
Now added an internal recently played file list that ensures attract mode doesn't play the same file within xx (20..100) tracks. Also added logging of any errors (missing file, bad file, etc) to a text file.

I'm open to suggestions on what type of interface people would like. I thinking along the lines of WinCab but my art skills are not all that crash hot!

Brad
15th January 2008, 08:39 AM
Eeek please not Wincab but then I'm biased towards skjuke ;)

Brad

acejas
15th January 2008, 08:58 AM
im with brad. I like mine looking like it isnt a computer program (ie no forms or window controls) Interface like SJK or even freebox.
Give me a yell if you need any help with artwork

Crafty
15th January 2008, 09:51 AM
Have to agree. I like SK jukebox because it does not look computer based....

Everyone who see's my setup cannot believe it's run off a computer, even though its a 15" LCD flat screen sitting on a shelf and a keyboard alongside....

Happy to Beta test when you're ready..:D

Brad
15th January 2008, 11:09 AM
You know I've seen a resurgence in the popularity of wincab so thought I'd give it another shot. 3 hours later it's still trying to update it's music database. The exact same problem it had years ago. Why is it most other jukebox programs can generate a music library in a few minutes but wincab shits itself everytime??

anyway back on track, for singles mode the look of wincab classic is fine. Same look as Arcadejukebox but for Album mode I'd be looking for an skjukebox look.

Brad

David_AVD
15th January 2008, 12:12 PM
I'm sure tried Wincab with about 3000 files and it had no issues. :unsure

David_AVD
15th January 2008, 12:33 PM
Just tried skjukebox (after much looking to find it - dead project) and it seems only to do album mode. That seems a bit limiting to me. I do like the flipping pages though. Singles mode would be almost essential for video I'd think.

So maybe I need to look at two different looking modes; singles and albums. Can we assume anyone wanting video playback will have a second screen? I guess I can make it play the video in the cover art window if there's no second screen specified.

dmworking247
15th January 2008, 12:49 PM
You know I've seen a resurgence in the popularity of wincab so thought I'd give it another shot. 3 hours later it's still trying to update it's music database. The exact same problem it had years ago. Why is it most other jukebox programs can generate a music library in a few minutes but wincab shits itself everytime??

anyway back on track, for singles mode the look of wincab classic is fine. Same look as Arcadejukebox but for Album mode I'd be looking for an skjukebox look.

Brad

I assume "WinCab" is dwjukebox (doswindows jukebox)... if so I use it , and it only takes that long to build the song list for the first time. When it restarts, it checks for the existance of all of the songs in the directories you've specified which (for my 3000-odd) collection takes about 10 seconds.

You can turn that option off to refresh the track lists, but it exists so that you can specify a directory as a flash drive, network drive, removable drive etc... that way if its plugged in when you start your jukebox the songs are on the list, else they're not... If you turn the option off obviously starting is faster but you'll potentially have songs on the list that arent actually accessible to the computer.

The one thing I have noticed though is that it does occassionally shit itself... it happened to me with some mp3s which ridiculously long song names, I'm not sure if it was due to special characters in the ID3 tag, the filename itself, or just that the name was too long but with a bit of tinkering I figured out what upset it and I dont have any problems anymore.

Brad
15th January 2008, 01:06 PM
Yes thats what I was suggesting dave. You can select Album or Singles mode. Now that would be awesome AND please anyone I reckon.

As for dwjukebox yes it hasn't shit itself it's still running after almost 5 hours. Lame lame lame Like I said all the others take a few minutes. I would have thought his sorting method would have been changed since I last tried it and I last tried it about 4-5 years ago.

Brad

dmworking247
15th January 2008, 01:20 PM
My first sort took nowhere near that... there's something wrong.

I'd suggest narrowing down the directories for it to search, letting it build an initial database then adding directorys to build it up...

OR, find the database file, delete it and start again... Its definately not normal to take hours even the first time (maybe 5-10 minutes for me?)

Brad
15th January 2008, 01:28 PM
Weird co-incidence then. Same issue with different music, different machine. It was a problem for a mate of mine too and I remember it was the biggest problem for a long time years ago with LOTS of people.

I wonder if theres an option somewhere to change.

Brad

dmworking247
15th January 2008, 01:41 PM
Do you want me to send you my INI file to test? I can do that later tonight if you like.

Brad
15th January 2008, 01:47 PM
Sure give it a whirl. I've deleted it from my work machine. I'll try it at home. No other jukebox software has this problem only ever wincab. No biggie, I just thought I give it a look again.

Now lets get back to this new program I'm hoping to see soon =)

Cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
15th January 2008, 02:47 PM
What...... :unsure Oh, you mean mine? :lol
I'll upload it tonight and post the link. I just have to remove a few debug bits first.

It will be just a simple form with a couple of list boxes, etc. I would like you to try it out and see how stable it is for you. I just ran it up on a Win98 machine and pointed it at my music directory on the network server here. It indexed the 8222 songs in about 10 seconds the first time. When I restarted it only took 3 seconds as Windows must have cached the list.

Crafty
15th January 2008, 02:54 PM
Well my Juke is a 2.4 p4 running Xp, currently SK jukebox and about 460 albums last count..

Happy to try out the new program :)

If this turns into a long term project (Here's hoping), can the mods stiky this tread somewhere.
Perhaps start a new post when you link to the program David..

David_AVD
15th January 2008, 03:07 PM
In due course it will appear on my software page (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/index.php) with the other freeware I've written. I'll advise when the temporary download link is ready.

Brad
15th January 2008, 03:10 PM
Sweet. I'll throw it at my 3000 album monster and see how it goes.

cheers,
Brad

dmworking247
15th January 2008, 03:17 PM
Careful David... if you're too innovative with your software I might just be knocking on your door when I start my crazy DIY pinball project later this year :D

David_AVD
15th January 2008, 03:19 PM
That's fine. Just bring your money !!! (all of it) :badgrin

dmworking247
15th January 2008, 03:26 PM
Hey man no problem... I can carry it ALL in a single change pocket! :D

Crafty
15th January 2008, 03:30 PM
3000 album
Brad

:eek2: Man I need a portable hard drive and then pay you a visit....:eek2:

David_AVD
15th January 2008, 03:34 PM
Hey man no problem... I can carry it ALL in a single change pocket! :D
I was afraid that may be the case. :rolleyes

Brad
15th January 2008, 04:13 PM
:eek2: Man I need a portable hard drive and then pay you a visit....:eek2:

Haha yes it was a quest I started for my jukebox and a bunch of us got together and shared all of our music. Each person got a copy on their USB HD . The price was you had to contribute to it. Post me your USB drive and I'll help you out ;)

Cheers,
Brad

acejas
15th January 2008, 10:19 PM
Brad...how many GB? and all tagged, named properly?

David_AVD
15th January 2008, 10:22 PM
BTW What language are you coding this in?Sorry, missed this question until now. I use Delphi 7.

Crafty
16th January 2008, 09:55 AM
Haha yes it was a quest I started for my jukebox and a bunch of us got together and shared all of our music. Each person got a copy on their USB HD . The price was you had to contribute to it. Post me your USB drive and I'll help you out ;)

Cheers,
Brad

Well I'll have to buy one first, but will keep this in my to do list... :D

Brad
16th January 2008, 10:22 AM
Brad...how many GB? and all tagged, named properly?

250Gig at this stage. Yes theres some dubious quality in there. Not much but some. Almost all are a minimum 128kps and above. Majority are 192 and 360

ALL tagged and renamed <----- best tool ever. I also ran them through a Gain tool. Some purists argue against this at the album level due to highs and lows but across a database this size it was absolutely essential.

The database is sorted by Artist (Folder) and then within that folder you have Albums. 98% of the albums also have the front cover for display purposes in SKJukebox. Most are decent quality. A few are crap.

Cheers,
Brad

Foot
16th January 2008, 11:23 AM
250 gig! bloody hell. BTW what's a gain tool?

Brad
16th January 2008, 12:13 PM
Look up MP3 Gain. It's can set the volume level of music to a specific setting.

Ever have MP3's your listening too at a good volume when the next song comes on and it's either ear shatteringly loud or really low. thats because when they were ripped/recorded they were done at a different volume. MP3 Gain will correct that for you.

I;m sure the audiophile can give you a better more description though.

Note: theres heaps of gain tools out there but MP3 Gain is free and I LOVE free

Brad

AdamC
16th January 2008, 08:52 PM
250Gig at this stage.

SO when are you getting a broadcast licence , and what freqency do we set our radio at ?? :badgrin

acejas
16th January 2008, 08:57 PM
Nice one Brad! Nothing worse than someone with a shite order etc. I use Tag&Rename for tagging. On going process!! Im always getting album art as well!! Same order as you which is nice. Would be interested in what ya got one day. Ive got similar sized collection

Brad
16th January 2008, 10:39 PM
LOL at Adam. Well I wanted to cater for any taste and boy is it there.

Acejas, PM me and we'll see what we can work out ;)

Cheers,
Brad

Nidzdotnet
18th January 2008, 11:25 AM
Wow.. I've been working on my music list for a while and I'm all out of ideas at 140gig.. lol. You must have a lot of crap on there.

acejas
18th January 2008, 11:31 AM
nah...love my music but obviously not all genres. No crap on mine ...well thats debateable.
Nothing better than having a party with some good playlists and people go wow whered ya get those songs? or when they goto choose they say I betya havent got that and voila.

What do u like listening to Niz?

Brad
18th January 2008, 06:44 PM
nah...love my music but obviously not all genres. No crap on mine ...well thats debateable.
Nothing better than having a party with some good playlists and people go wow whered ya get those songs? or when they goto choose they say I betya havent got that and voila.

What do u like listening to Niz?

LOL spot on although I DO have some crap in it but thats my opinion. I have people over and they love it and I try to cater for all tastes so there is things like Classical in there too though not much.

The highlights for some though are definitely Billboard Top 100 from 1940 ----------> 2007 and then the Triple J Hot 100 collection.

Brad

dmworking247
18th January 2008, 07:08 PM
If you keep hyping it like that Brad, you'll need a thread for the USB drive similar to the Mame DVDs

I'm up next :D

AdamC
19th January 2008, 06:50 AM
Get BRADS MP3's

Brad ----------------(Bris) -->Has them
dmworking247 -----(NSW) -> details sent
Adamc --------------(QLD)

:badgrin:badgrin

Brad
19th January 2008, 03:03 PM
LOL! Well I did make the offer earlier in the thread. Send me your USB harddrive and I'll clone the collection. The only requirement is that it's a reciprocal deal so send me a USB harddrive with "stuff" on it ;)

Cheers,
Brad

acejas
19th January 2008, 04:14 PM
The highlights for some though are definitely Billboard Top 100 from 1940 ----------> 2007 and then the Triple J Hot 100 collection.

Brad

Yeah definitely a fav as well as the Rolling Stones Top 500. Such a mixture. I have mine as Genres\Artist\Album. Only fully proofed 5 Genres out of 26 :(. Looks nice when u flip thru SJK and see the album covers

I just have to stop dl albums...so time consuming. Can spend hours a night sorting when im in the mood. I guess why I dont freely give out my collection. I do like to swap as people that have collections like myself appreciate the work. Had some 'acquantences' come over to my joint with a 500gb drive and say "Can ya just copy that all over to my drive" Yeah farkin right!!!" NOT lol
Just read Brads post. Yeah more than willing to trade for stuff ;)

Brad
19th January 2008, 04:35 PM
Yes, I collect collections so have ALL the Stones Abums as long as complete sets of other Bands. It does look very very sweet page flipping through skjukebox though.

Your right it was a LOT of work but once I caught up I made sure to Tag & Rename, Gain and cover art each new arrival. Not so bad now but yes thats one of the reasons I also put a price on sharing it.

Cheers,
Brad

acejas
19th January 2008, 07:05 PM
rolling stones as in the magazine mate :) top 500 songs of all time

Brad
20th January 2008, 09:36 AM
Ohhh yes I want those!

Brad

Crafty
20th January 2008, 03:52 PM
Well, I just bought a 140gig HDD. Not sure why..:lol

Brad if you send me a list of what you have I will try to fill it with some that you don't have..:unsure Although you sure got a lot bigger collection than mine, I think there will be a few albums I can send on the drive.

Cheers Chris

David_AVD
20th January 2008, 08:46 PM
Just in case anyone's wondering, I'm still programming away on this project. There's a lot of work involved in writing good stable software so the final release will be a little way off yet. I do have a day job and other projects on the go too! :)

Crafty
20th January 2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry David I guess the thread did get a little off topic...:hijack:

:D

David_AVD
21st January 2008, 08:19 AM
That's fine. It's interesting to see that some people have collections that are organised a certain way, etc. I've got the basic bits going nicely now and will get Brad & yourself to test it for obvious bugs. Same download location as last time.

Now, I need to nail down a GUI for it. Are we agreed that both singles and albums modes are required? I'll probably implement singles mode first, maybe something with the labels like Arcade Jukebox or WinJuke.

acejas
21st January 2008, 11:14 AM
happy to be a tester as well mate. I find i try alot of jukebox software but it fails in the database area. With SJK no problems. Give me a PM if interested

David_AVD
22nd January 2008, 11:21 PM
Just started on the album mode GUI. What screen resolutions should I cater for?
1024 x 768
1280 x 1024
1440 x 900
1600 x 900
1680 x 1050

dmworking247
22nd January 2008, 11:35 PM
Add 800x600... (thats what my mame cab runs at)

What about for jukeboxes using a TV with svideo (480i)?

David_AVD
25th January 2008, 10:37 PM
To make it easier to scan for content, I've split up the directory lists in the ini file into Albums and Singles.
This means you have albums in the seemingly common Path > Artist > Album > Title format.
Various artist albums are in the Path > Various Artists > Artist - Title format.
Singles are deemed to be in the Path > Artist > Title format.
Is this the way most people would organise their collection?

Now, my next hurdle. In Singles mode it's all easy. Every track is just listed as Artist : Title (or Title : Artist) in alphanumeric order. But what to do about Album mode? Showing the complete albums (with their tracks) is good, but what happens to those tracks that came from the Singles directories? Do I just hide them and not allow access to them? How can I display them to fit in with the Album format?

Crafty
25th January 2008, 10:42 PM
David, I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but most people I know have there music files saved in Artist/Album/Song Title.

I think this is the easiest way to organise massive MP3/Digital music collections. For singles mode therefore it it possible to from the stored format above then display and search by Artist/Song Title..:unsure

Perhaps 2 lists are generated and stored but only one displayed depending on the mode selected ???

David_AVD
25th January 2008, 10:52 PM
The reason I mention the singles is that some people will have most of their tracks organised in albums as above. What I'm also wanting to cater for is those tracks that were never part of an album. ie. Tracks that were ripped as individual songs. I have about 2000 tracks in that format and another 6500 or so in album format.

AdamC
25th January 2008, 11:03 PM
All of mine are just put into the artists folders.

eg.

c:\Jukebox Music\Artist\ songs

Ive only got about 1100 songs so far...
I dont think ill be making album folders for each artist, too much space wasted with songs that will never get played. :unsure

dmworking247
25th January 2008, 11:05 PM
To make it easier to scan for content, I've split up the directory lists in the ini file into Albums and Singles.
This means you have albums in the seemingly common Path > Artist > Album > Track format.
Singles are deemed to be in the Path > Artist > Track format.
Is this the way most people would organise their collection?

Now, my next hurdle. In Singles mode it's all easy. Every track is just listed as Artist : Track (or Track : Artist) in alphanumeric order. But what to do about Album mode? Showing the complete albums (with their tracks) is good, but what happens to those tracks that came from the Singles directories? Do I just hide them and not allow access to them? How can I display them to fit in with the Album format?

I suggest not being too rigid.. don't hard code formats.

If possible, allow the user to specify the format using wildcards.. eg

%path%/%album%/%artist% - %title%

etc

Lots of id3 tag utilities have functions like that to be flexible to the users sorting method.

Personally I have a collection consisting 98% of singles... and they're all just dumped in 'decade' folders.... so my format is:
%artist% - %title%.mp3

Even that wouldn't be compatible with what you suggested as you had a : instead of a -

Crafty
25th January 2008, 11:42 PM
Hmmm three different people, three different answers.:unsure

I think the option dmw mentioned would be useful where the user could specify the format there collection is sorted in, how this is displayed....

Well all I can say is I'm glad you're doing the writing..

acejas
26th January 2008, 08:36 AM
This means you have albums in the seemingly common Path > Artist > Album > Track format.

David, you might want to refer TRACK as TITLE. You will see all software for sorting MP3's and Jukebox software using this convention. "TRACK" is used for track number and actually got me confuesd (yes im a bloody idiot lol)

My collection is sorted a 4th way :D I have my collection as Genre\Artist\Album\Title. The reason for Genre as that having a large collection, people who are only interested in a reggae music for that particular time can go straight there. I treat the band as the genre not each indiviudal track. Theres heaps of ballads out there that are far from "Rock" ie Led Zep, Guns N roses etc etc

The trouble with genre's it is really general and up to the individual. In my case i have what I call the classic genres ie classical, rock, reggae, pop etc etc.

Now with regard to my rock genre, it just got too big so I made a new genre rock pop. For instance U2, Dire Straits, Powderfinger are in this category.

So as you can see its totally subjctive. My point tho is it really makes it an easy to navigate and drill down to find what music you like.

My collection started when Mp2's were out. I started taking my pc and monitor to partys, then laptop, then bought the first Creative Jukebox then got an 150gig external with juke sw. My point? Ive listened to friends and people I didnt know, and what they had to say. Now when I rock up to a party everyone just says how awesome it is. No real "Can I do this?" or "How can i find this?"

It not only comes down to the software but also how the collection is organised.

All of mine are just put into the artists folders.

eg.

c:Jukebox MusicArtist songs

Ive only got about 1100 songs so far...
I dont think ill be making album folders for each artist, too much space wasted with songs that will never get played.

Many years I ago I started my collection like that. I soon changed once my collection got bigger. The more you add, the more you will start thinking about it. I reckon you limit yourself when you dont include songs that other people may like. The space wasted really doesnt stand much as well becuase for the few cents a megabyte for hard disk space, its not really an issue. Im not trying to tell you how to set up collection, but you will have limited trading/swapping with other people.

The way I deal with singles, I have a various folder in my genre and that deals with singles. I also have a Genre folder called Singles and that holds my billboard collection and all the other "Hits" albums

SOrry for the rant but I think it all relates to the software David is kindly working on and how a music collection is utilised

cheers
jas

AdamC
26th January 2008, 09:13 AM
Jas,

Yeah once my collection gets a bit larger, ill probably start making albums for each artist.
Ive got 98 artists at the moment.. using about 4.8 gig

Hey - my jukebox isnt even finished yet !!! lol
Well , after a day or so , all that will need to be done is the control panel.

David_AVD
26th January 2008, 12:10 PM
Personally I have a collection consisting 98% of singles... and they're all just dumped in 'decade' folders.... so my format is:
%artist% - %title%.mp3

Even that wouldn't be compatible with what you suggested as you had a : instead of a -
Actually, I do use the same artist-title format for the various artists files. The : mentioned was just used to illustrate how they are sorted (and shown on screen) and not to be taken literally!

David, you might want to refer TRACK as TITLE. You will see all software for sorting MP3's and Jukebox software using this convention.
Sorry for the confusion. Was late when I wrote that. Yes, I meant title not track and I already use title in the software. I'll edit my other post.

I have my collection as GenreArtistAlbumTitle.
Genres are difficult to deal with since they may be implemented as parent directories or part of an ID3 tag. Maybe I'll leave room in the database format for genre but not implement it just yet.

Well all I can say is I'm glad you're doing the writing.
Writing software that's truly useful is a challenge but I do enjoy it. There's too much half baked software out there so I try to listen to suggestions and bug reports!

David_AVD
27th January 2008, 11:12 AM
I've had a go at adding ID3 tag support. It slows down loading to about 3 minutes for 6500 songs. This is in contrast to the few seconds if I build the song info purely from the file name structure. Looks like a database file will be required if ID3 tags are to stay. (and only build the database the first time) The advantage of using ID3 tags is that the info parsing is more accurate.

David_AVD
27th January 2008, 06:34 PM
Whoohoo! Got the database code working. The first time I load about 8000 songs it takes 4 or 5 minutes. Each time after that it only takes about 2 seconds, as it's just loading it from the database file. :)

David_AVD
28th January 2008, 11:56 AM
Just found TagScanner (http://www.xdlab.ru/en/).
This seems to work very well at adding the track numbers onto the front of mp3 files by using the ID3 tag information already there.

AdamC
28th January 2008, 12:22 PM
Looks good ... might be a replacement for MP3tag :unsure
Ill give it a go later ...

David_AVD
28th January 2008, 12:43 PM
Just got it to fix a heap of albums that had mangled file names by using the track #, artist & title from the ID3 tags. Very noice! :cool:

Arcade King
28th January 2008, 01:02 PM
Big Thanks David for sharing this with everybody :)

David_AVD
1st February 2008, 08:02 PM
Still working away on this. I've got the basic GUI for singles mode running now. Crafty says it built the database for his 40,000 tracks in about 15 minutes. Once the database is built, the program loads in about 2 second flat each time.

Once I clean up the GUI a bit more I'll release the first public version. (singles mode only) That'll be sometime this weekend if I get a good go at it. Then I'll be asking for more feature suggestions and bug reports.

spacies
1st February 2008, 08:15 PM
Sounds very cool.

Well done mate.

Mr Darkness
2nd February 2008, 01:47 AM
count me in i have some 13000 mp3's

RetroBorg
2nd March 2008, 12:22 AM

Brad

Hey Brad,

Just a few questions on your collection:

Billboard top 100, are you saying you have every year from 1940, all the top 100 songs each year?

and with the Triple J hot 100 collection, do you have the hottest 100 albums they released every year or do you have the top 100 songs from their poll every year?

Sounds like you have an awesome collection, I've got about 60 gig, mainly albums setup for SK Jukebox.

Phil

Brad
2nd March 2008, 08:55 AM
With the Billboard stuff I have the Top 100 Singles from 1960 to 2007. The previous years are Top 40 singles from memory. I didn't collect the earlier stuff myself.

With the Triple J stuff most of it are the Top 100 Singles. A few are the Top 100 CD releases they released which only include 40 tracks on a double CD.

Yeah the collection is large and sorted by Artists and Album for SK Jukebox.

Cheers,
BRad

David_AVD
2nd March 2008, 08:23 PM
Version 1.4.0.0 will be up shortly. It adds Next Alpha & Prev Alpha as well as a Restart Song function. Is anyone able to help test it please?

Brad
3rd March 2008, 08:15 AM
Version 1.4.0.0 will be up shortly. It adds Next Alpha & Prev Alpha as well as a Restart Song function. Is anyone able to help test it please?

I certainly can.

Brad

David_AVD
3rd March 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks. It has been uploaded but I haven't updated the release notes yet.

Brad
3rd March 2008, 02:19 PM
Works a treat David. Alpha forward AND backwards works in both Singles and Artists mode. Restart also works flawlessly.

One thing I noticed as a to do is for the sort method/settings to remember what was last used. I've found that when I select Artist-Mode and then exit after a while, when I restart it it defaults to Title Mode.

Cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
3rd March 2008, 02:33 PM
Yes, it always defaults to whatever mode you set in the ini file. I will change it so it writes the mode back out to the ini file upon exit.

The next / prev alpha jump took a fair bit to implement as I had to make it work for titles or artists depending on the sort mode. It was worth it though as it's made it a lot quicker to navigate a large library. It even handles numbers correctly. (0..9 as well as A..Z)

Any other suggestions before I go onto doing the album mode interface?

Brad
3rd March 2008, 02:48 PM
Might I suggest that it also remembers whats in the queue and reloads it upon startup IF you exit before it's finished?

Cheers,
Brad

Crafty
3rd March 2008, 03:17 PM
Might I suggest that it also remembers whats in the queue and reloads it upon startup IF you exit before it's finished?

Cheers,
Brad

Or have this as an option you can select?

Brad
3rd March 2008, 03:46 PM
Well you could but a quick Clear Queue command usually is enough for me.....especially when my son has selected 20 metal tracks in a row :badgrin

brad

David_AVD
3rd March 2008, 04:23 PM
Good ideas guys. I'll let you know when the new one is uploaded.

shooter
3rd March 2008, 10:10 PM
a "admin" button might be useful For those who would put your software into a stand a lone jukebox with ONLY buttons to use.

Things in admin.. shutdown, delete songs, add songs (from network shares??) change the settings etc.

David_AVD
3rd March 2008, 11:33 PM
I'll have a think about the admin function.

I've just uploaded version 1.5.0.0. It has the Resume Play Queue option and now saves the state of the Artist / Title mode.

Brad
4th March 2008, 08:07 AM
a "admin" button might be useful For those who would put your software into a stand a lone jukebox with ONLY buttons to use.

Things in admin.. shutdown, delete songs, add songs (from network shares??) change the settings etc.

Thats what remote access is for ;) Also plug a keyboard and mouse in when you need too? My jukebox, has a hinged drop down door. I used velcro to stick a keyboard and mouse to it. I open the door and it rests horizontally into an instant bench with keyboard and mouse ready to roll.

Brad

I'll have a think about the admin function.

I've just uploaded version 1.5.0.0. It has the Resume Play Queue option and now saves the state of the Artist / Title mode.

First time start I get this error:

Cannot Open file E:\Jukebox\Playqueue.txt. The system cannot find the file specified.

Looks like the new resume function needs to be changed to resume ONLY if the file exists. Once I exit and open it again it's fine. Also the resume queue works a treat =)

Cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
4th March 2008, 08:33 AM
Sorry about that. I'll fix that in the next release. :redface

AdamC
4th March 2008, 09:17 AM
David .. wheres Gambit?

Now u have this little robot who looks like hes begging for a meal as your signature. :unsure

David_AVD
4th March 2008, 10:00 AM
Just me having a little fun stealing avatars from another forum. :lol

David_AVD
5th March 2008, 09:03 PM
Pssstt.... I think they're on to me! Wonder when they'll find the back door I'm using to access my banned account? :116:

David_AVD
5th March 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm looking into adding support for the Juke Plugin System that UncleT & Space Fractal started earlier this year. Does anyone have any comment on this? (or know what the hell I'm talking about!)

AdamC
5th March 2008, 10:36 PM
I have seen it on his webpage, but cant remember what its about

David_AVD
5th March 2008, 10:45 PM
Basically, the juke program sends the plugin a message every time something happens. (coin input, song start, song end, etc) The plugin can use these messages to trigger other events, play a sound or turn lights on / off, etc.

You still need someone to write the plugin but supporting the JPS opens up a whole range of options for 3rd party add-ons. I could see myself writing some plugins. Maybe one to control the button illumination or whatever. Who knows where it would lead.

headkaze
5th March 2008, 11:27 PM
Well loadman is writing a LEDWiz plugin in the JPS format already ;)

He's basically porting the code for his LEDWiz plugin he wrote for Mala. It should support the lwa (LEDWiz Animation) format too, so you can get your LED lit buttons to animate. While your at it check the BYOAC forums for LuminAudio program which can make the LED's dance to music.

Anyway, I replied to your PM. Apart from that I can only help where I can. I don't really have the time to write a Delphi host example I'm afraid but I can help where I can with any specific problem you might come across.

I've written a few small things in Delphi mainly for SDK's but I don't know the language well enough to just sit down and start coding in it. I need to look up alot of syntax on the Net and it means developing in Delphi for me is a very slow event ;)

David_AVD
6th March 2008, 07:59 AM
I'll keep an eye out for loadman's plugin. I should be able to get the host side worked out. I'd probably call myself an "intermediate skills" programmer as I've written a lot of Delphi code over the last 5-10 years. Should just be another programming challenge to conquer! :)

David_AVD
6th March 2008, 11:30 PM
OK, spent a few hours programming today and got the basics of the JPS working.
Now, what sort of plugins would be good for jukebox software?

David_AVD
7th March 2008, 09:13 PM
Version 1.6.0.0 of Aussie Juke is now available.
This one adds volume control (up, down, mute, unmute) as well as initial support the the new JPS. (Jukebox Plugin System)
Also fixed a small bug with the play queue file causing an error the first time AJ 1.5.0.0 was run.

David_AVD
24th March 2008, 11:01 PM
Just a quick note to say that Aussie Juke is progressing. I'm working on the configuration GUI and a new version should be out in the next week or so.

It also now has good support the Juke Plugin System. I've also written a few plugins. The first public one plays attract sounds between the songs. It should appear on the Jukebox Plugin System website (http://www.jukeplugsys.com/?page_id=9) shortly.

I'm still putting the final touches on the other one. It can play a different sound for each jukebox event and has adjustable volume, balance, pitch & audio output routing per individual event.

Please feel free to come up with suggestions for plugins. What would you like to happen when your jukebox does things? Flashing lights, wacky robotic waving arms, etc?

David_AVD
13th April 2008, 07:19 PM
Version 1.6.3 is now available for download. (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php)

New: Added support for WMA files (and WMA tags)
Improved: Added a few more options to the Configure window
Fixed: Smart sorting was not always correctly applied
Fixed: Skins did not always load correctly (also added background colour)

spottty
13th April 2008, 11:32 PM
MMmmm lets say MicroSound, MMmm maybee not how about BGOJ (Bloody Good Ozzy Jukbox.
Ok I know shut up

Woops should have read more sorry Aussie Jukebox is fine.

David_AVD
17th August 2008, 11:24 AM
Version 1.6.4.0 is now available for download (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php). Just a few bug fixes and minor changes.

AdamC
17th August 2008, 03:29 PM
Version 1.6.4.0 is now available for download (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php). Just a few bug fixes and minor changes.

Ill give it a go later this arvo .. still waiting on video playback, tho.
And a look like SkJukebox ;)

Talby
28th August 2008, 08:34 PM
If I run this software on my PC, what screen size should I run it at?

David_AVD
28th August 2008, 09:18 PM
It should scale to any 4:3 resolution within reason.

Talby
28th August 2008, 11:23 PM
Does, or can AussieJuke have a random play option?

Random play of all entries and/or random play of album would be nice. (or is it already there?)

David_AVD
29th August 2008, 07:33 AM
Yes, it supports random play via the auto options in "General Config 1", specifically the play delay and attract delay options. Hover your mouse over the options for more detail.

Talby
29th August 2008, 07:55 AM
Another idea or question.......

Is it possible to have say a Top 50 or 100 - have a separate button/page that keeps a list of the top XX chosen tracks?

Or, have user based favourites e.g. Talby's favourites button, the Bride's favourite, kids favourite buttons etc

David, don't get me wrong, love your software, just throwing a few ideas around for you

Cool.....so the attract mode is basically random play. Leave it on atttract and bob's you uncle. Nice

David_AVD
29th August 2008, 09:13 AM
I'll take those ideas into consideration for a future release.

No promises though. Aussie Juke evolves as ideas come in and I get the time!

David_AVD
31st August 2008, 03:54 PM
It should scale to any 4:3 resolution within reason.

I think I have the screen size scaling sorted. It should work with pretty much any resolution and aspect ratio now. Shall upload to the AVD web site (http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/software/aussiejuke/aussiejuke.php) shortly.

spottty
23rd October 2008, 09:22 PM
Ever think of running Karaoke through it (MP3 with a CDG overlay) that could be interesting, Just need a input for the mic.

David_AVD
23rd October 2008, 09:51 PM
Ever think of running Karaoke through it (MP3 with a CDG overlay) that could be interesting, Just need a input for the mic.

There's CDG capable ones out there already, so it's not really on my priority list.

spottty
25th October 2008, 08:47 AM
No problem just throwing in an idea, just havn't seen one yet that works on a keyboard, all I've seen need a mouse.

David_AVD
25th October 2008, 12:00 PM
You need to look again. A lot of juke programs can be controlled via the keyboard. Mine (Aussie Juke) certainly can and has fully user definable keys.

spottty
25th October 2008, 03:07 PM
Yes I know yours uses a keyboard, I just have to have another look for a jukebox that can run cdg's. No drama's if its out there I'll find it eventually. Just didn't think there was a keyboard driven jukebox that played cdg's Ok I must be wrong. Thanks for the help

David_AVD
25th October 2008, 05:03 PM
I thought most of them supported Keyboard. Have a look over in the Arcade Controls jukebox forum. (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=5.0) There's a good list of software there. Might be something that suits? :unsure

spottty
25th October 2008, 08:39 PM
Many thanks found a jukebox that will do karaoke, now it's time to build again..

AdamC
25th October 2008, 08:43 PM
What did you find ?

spottty
25th October 2008, 10:22 PM
uncle T's jukebox ses it will do karaoke just need to set it up and give it a go

Ok not that one looks like I keep looking

Ok Arcade Music Box will do mp3, mpg and cdg

AdamC
12th June 2009, 05:39 PM
David -

Ive just tried the new version to play a video clip (ive only pointed the juke to a folder with about 5 clips in it), and i get this error on the screen.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/adamndeb/ausjuke.jpg
Any idea whats causing this ? :unsure

AskJacob
12th June 2009, 06:11 PM
pins not connected _may_ be a codec issue.

Just in case, do you have the k-lite codec pack?

http://www.codecguide.com/

It gives you a whole bunch-o-codecs.

David, do you use WMP, or the older VFW video playback?

Cheers
Jacob

AdamC
12th June 2009, 06:17 PM
The video was playing , tho... in its own window.

AskJacob
12th June 2009, 06:24 PM
The video was playing , tho... in its own window.

what about the audio?

Cheers
Jacob

David_AVD
12th June 2009, 08:00 PM
David, do you use WMP, or the older VFW video playback?

I've used some DSPACK components. It is a set of wrappers for DirectX I believe.

headkaze
12th June 2009, 10:36 PM
Looks like DSPACK uses DirectShow. As far as codecs go I recommend the Vista Codec Pack http://shark007.net/. It also supports XP.

Myny
1st November 2009, 07:19 PM
I'm having the same error show up. The video and audio are playing, but it's in another window. Any ideas? This is on Windows 7 x64, run in admin mode.

David_AVD
1st November 2009, 08:46 PM
No idea I'm afraid.

Brootal
9th December 2009, 02:59 PM
I was trying your latest version the other day and also got this error.

It only happened on some videos not all of them. I should track them down to work out what they're using, but like said above, they play ok in an external window, you just need to alt tab to it. I have played these videos perfectly ok under WMP previously. Seems like a particular format/codex error, but because it plays ok, seems your software isn't connecting the pins correctly for some reason?

I'll try to track down what format the videos that failed were.

David_AVD
9th December 2009, 03:12 PM
If you could identify the problem files that would be great.

aussie8ball
16th December 2009, 10:06 PM
Davola

FLEX
23rd December 2009, 03:40 PM
Hey David, fantastic little program you have put together here mate!! Just got it up and running with the 3500 vid clips I just got off Crafty (thanks man, awesome stuff ;) ) and it runs great. The only thing is that I am running it on a single lcd screen and when it finishes playing a song in full screen it doesnt go back to the music list when there is no more songs picked. Not sure if this is something ive done (or havent done). Apart from this its all good :023:.

Also, would it be possible that when a clip is playing in full screen could the program detect a button press and go to half screen with clip still playing one side and the song list on the other (or top and bottom)? It would be a neat feature if its not allready there that is. Cheers.

David_AVD
23rd December 2009, 03:45 PM
With the default control.ini set, pressing F should toggle full screen / window mode.

I'll check into the other issue.

FLEX
24th December 2009, 12:28 AM
With the default control.ini set, pressing F should toggle full screen / window mode.

Just realised that I could maybe assign window mode with the menu navigation buttons. That way if its playing a clip in full screen and someone touches the nav control it comes back to window mode. The only thing is it wont go back to full screen automatically, I guess I can just set up one of the other buttons on the cp for that. Would be great if you could set a timer for full screen mode just like there is a timer for the attract mode. So you could have it set for like 3 seconds so when the controls are not being used it reverts back to full screen.

David_AVD
24th December 2009, 07:38 AM
Good idea. I'll look into that.

egosbar
7th July 2010, 02:32 PM
havent used this yet but will try soon , but im looking at vertical display which it doesnt support any thoughts on adding a vertical skin

David_AVD
7th July 2010, 04:06 PM
I haven't done anything to this item for a while now. Too many other projects on the go.

That said, have you tried rotating the screen using the video card settings?

egosbar
7th July 2010, 04:45 PM
I haven't done anything to this item for a while now. Too many other projects on the go.

That said, have you tried rotating the screen using the video card settings?
havent tried it yet mate but i will have a go

metz
9th November 2010, 09:16 AM
hey great work :cool:
I just read the thread and DL'd the AJ
when the exe is run it is just a static screen I cant do anything?
what am I missing?:unsure
found the "c"
thanks for your work

avtroj
23rd April 2013, 04:52 AM
Hallooo, First excuse my English,I'm from Slovenia and I'm an older person.
my problem is: I was downloaded aussie jukebox two years ago,or more, and I use it regularly almost every day, but I need to convert any video from youtube flv or mp4 to avi format,could you make a version for flv and mp4 format to use.
this is my first letter to thank you in advance and best regards Andro Trojan-Slovenia :)

egosbar
23rd April 2013, 08:16 AM
touchjams supports karaoke , very very good software and some great and unique features , check out my thread on new feature of touchjams

egosbar
17th May 2014, 02:06 PM
some nice updates in the touchjams software , i still believe the best on the market , a lot easier too skin now which is great

Chito
10th September 2016, 06:45 PM
touchjam doesnt support keyboard or controller as far as i can tell... so as far as a cab juke box its no go

comprar
18th December 2016, 01:33 AM
A lot of juke programs can be controlled via the keyboard. Mine (Aussie Juke) certainly can and has fully user definable keys.