PDA

View Full Version : Gun Woes

danielsoar
10th January 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi guys im new to the forum and have been having some gun blues with my cab. It turns one year old this week and last august I bought 2 act-labs guns for it.

At the start of december one of my triggers snapped which i carefully re-glued together

Last week the other trigger snapped and yesterday the one i re-glued snapped again.

Ive tried to glue them together with nails over the top to re-enforce them but Im still not convinced they will hold.

Ive emailed act-labs and they havent replied, i also noticed they have gone back to their 'old' design from two models ago and the version that I have is discontinued. As a bonus you can buy the guns and controllers seperatly now (as of this year?)

Comments, suggestions?

Additionally since the PC release of Big Buck Hunter in October, I am REALLY keen to get a shotgun hooked up soon. Would the best way just be to rip the guts from one of my broken act-labs lightguns and mod an empty happ 29" shell or is there a mame (PC) shotgun out there somewhere?

Nice to meet you all ;)

-Dan

dmworking247
10th January 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Dan, and welcome.

That sucks that the triggers have snapped, at least it shows they've got good use. :D

I dont have a lot of experience with Act Lab guns so I cant advise much other than continuing to try and contact the manufacturer for servicable parts, or looking on ebay for faulty ones that you could get cheap and pull the triggers out of them.

If you consider buying new ones, I'm very happy with my EMS TopGun LCD-compatible lightgun I bought from play-asia (see this thread (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=10022&highlight=mame+lightguns), and if you're running XP with a bit of fiddling you can run two of them too.

As for the shotgun, I wasnt aware that Big Buck Hunter was available for the PC (now I'm excited!)... I havent seen a big market for shotguns so I'd probably try to mod something ... else go all out and build something from scratch.

A pump action reload is a must for that game :D

danielsoar
10th January 2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah im seriously considering getting an original shell (two halfs of the gun are $77, two halfs of the pump are $18 and the front cap is $10)

Thats without guts so then an actlabs gun on top of that to strip for components = very expensive shooting

I had been waiting all year for mame to include the roms but because it still makes money at pubs i guess they havent put it in yet

The PC version is useless with a mouse but with the guns its AWSOME

it comes with 4 varients, Big Buck Hunter, Big Buck Hunter II and the deluxe versions of both

VERY VERY nice for anyone with guns in their cab.. Also Im running PC games, VCOP 1 & 2 and HOD 1, 2 and 3. Anyone else have a fav PC gun game they would like to share? (the name of) Im always looking for new shooters and timecrisis in mame is still too buggy for me

two player is also my preference

Crafty
10th January 2008, 02:48 PM
Confidential Mission, but that's on my Dreamcast...:D

dmworking247
10th January 2008, 03:02 PM
I'm looking around for Big Buck Hunter at the moment... can you clarify the difference between Big BUCK and Big "GAME" hunter? Its the later that seems to be released in Oct 07?

danielsoar
10th January 2008, 03:49 PM
The official game website is:
http://www.buckhuntergame.com/

Its Big buck hunter I and II as a PC game

Because its only one player at a time its got no need for hacks like other 2 player mice games so it works fine with guns straight out of the box (or from a torrent whatever tickles your fancy)

i got an image that was around 550mb

good luck, its the reason i have no guns now haha

(both my triggers broke playing this game)

oh and i didnt clarify, big buck hunter is an arcade port to pc (like HOD and VCOP) whereas big game hunter is a PC only game and is probably not suited to guns as far as i can see...

Lastly - ill send some photos in if i manage to mod up a shotgun for the pc.

Johno
29th January 2008, 06:42 PM
has naybody bought the big buck hunter for PC game. Any comments on it?? Does it work with the Act Labs PC Usb light gun?? I'm interested in getting a copy if anybody can help.

dmworking247
29th January 2008, 07:26 PM
It'll work with anything that acts as a mouse... is that how the Act Labs gun works? (the TopGun does).

I haven't played around with the settings enough yet but it feels like the cursor doesnt keep up fast enough with where I'm pointing for a quick-precision shooting game like this.

IMO its good fun but nothing like the arcade (it needs the full shotgun setup with pump action reload).

Johno
29th January 2008, 07:58 PM
It'll work with anything that acts as a mouse... is that how the Act Labs gun works? (the TopGun does).

I haven't played around with the settings enough yet but it feels like the cursor doesnt keep up fast enough with where I'm pointing for a quick-precision shooting game like this.

IMO its good fun but nothing like the arcade (it needs the full shotgun setup with pump action reload).

can you get a shotgun that will work with the pc in a mame cab??