PDA

View Full Version : What is the best jukebox software?

Moose74
2nd January 2008, 05:29 PM
I am messing around with WinCab at the moment. It looks good for a singles only cabinet. I am looking for different software that is more suited to entire CDs. I need to control the software with my x-arcade tankstick controller. My other criteria is it needs to be user friendly for stupid relatives. I saw the thread on SK Jukebox but can't find a good link to download from.

Moose.

Arcade King
2nd January 2008, 05:37 PM
GameEX ;)

dmworking247
2nd January 2008, 05:56 PM
Mine is definately a singles collection so I'm really enjoying DWJUKEBOX now that I've got it configured... its very flexible and and is working just the way I wanted my jukebox to run.

The only dissapointing thing is I havent been able to find any good (or any 3rd party at all) skins for it, so the choice of 'look & feel' seems limited.

I agree its probably better for singles, although some of the skins look like they're more suited to albumns? You can also change all the sort/grouping orders too.

Brad
2nd January 2008, 06:52 PM
SK jukebox handsdown for albums.

http://www.skjukebox.info/

Brad

AdamC
2nd January 2008, 08:27 PM
I've installed SKJukebox into mine.
I havent got all separate albums , just put all songs into artists directories - didnt want to have songs in the lists that would never be played. Cuts down the amount of albums that u have to skip through .. ive got about 80 different artists already. = 20 pages.

acejas
2nd January 2008, 08:36 PM
Another SK Jukebox fan here. I havent set mine up yet properly standalone but ive had dummies (mates) work it easily on the pc. No problems here with albums / singles.

Im anal with tagging and suggest tag&rename as that makes the job easier.
Dont know how many pages ive got but it takes a while to get through

AdamC
2nd January 2008, 09:00 PM
Forgot to add : i used version 4 the other night at a party on the GFs laptop , and it crashed a few times.
Version 3 would be the way to go till they do another update.

acejas
2nd January 2008, 10:00 PM
yeah version 3 is more stable but doesnt have video capability. No updates as hes given teh project away :(

Davefjedi
3rd January 2008, 09:52 AM
I have used doscab and wincab in the past it is not to bad there are a few skins for it for album art or as singles

danielsoar
10th January 2008, 02:39 PM
I had alot of problems with Jukebox and I have finally settled on MultiJuke ( http://www.multijuke.com/ ) if you want to have a look

Its simple and nice and best of all quick

Not as user friendly as some but with my vista mame box it works the best.

Have a look if you havent tried it, its a good compromise

nigelicious
10th January 2008, 02:54 PM
You have a Vista MAME box?:o I presume it's not dedicated ! :lol

Nidzdotnet
11th January 2008, 02:27 PM
I find Partytime Jukebox to be the best. I love it.. I've taken my jukebox to heaps of places and people have no problems opperating it with no iinstructions. I just turn the pc on and it starts up and people just go for it.

Link

http://www.partytimejukebox.com/index.html

Works unreal with a touch screen overlay. It's pretty much designed for that type of application.

oswald69
11th January 2008, 02:59 PM
I am messing around with WinCab at the moment. It looks good for a singles only cabinet. I am looking for different software that is more suited to entire CDs. I need to control the software with my x-arcade tankstick controller. My other criteria is it needs to be user friendly for stupid relatives. I saw the thread on SK Jukebox but can't find a good link to download from.

Moose.

Hi, I use and have allways used wincab, it does allow album selection when you use the updated skins... pm if you need help with the config in album mode.

Brootal
12th January 2008, 02:00 AM
Rather than start a new thread I'll just hitch a ride on this one.

Suggestions for software for a video Jukebox (to coexist with mame)?

David_AVD
12th January 2008, 09:10 AM
Suggestions for software for a video Jukebox (to coexist with mame)?I've actually started writing a Windows based video jukebox myself. So far I've got it to:

Scan a specified set of directories for mp3 and mpg content
Generate artist & title info from directory & file names
Sort them into alphanumeric order (artist : title)
Remove any duplicates
Add all songs to one huge list (working on a treeview)
Allow you to drag songs from there into a queue list
Automatically play songs from the queue list
Display a cover art image from the song directory

It uses Windows Directshow for the playback engine and I have it running on an XP box. I'd like to add the following:

Specify a second monitor for video output
Make a really nice user interface (still experimental ATM)
Store the media list in a database to speed up loading

AdamC
12th January 2008, 09:54 AM
Sounds good David. :023:

Keep us posted !!!!

I have 160 music vids id like to use in my jukebox,
but im using Ver 3 of SKJukebox cause V4 is kept crashing on me last time i used it at a party.

David_AVD
12th January 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm stuck on the best way to display and choose songs. I kinda like the old style listing (paper inserts) on Wincab but can't help thinking it would be a drag to scroll through more than a few hundred songs that way. (I have thousands) Maybe having buttons that jump to the next/previous starting letter would help.

A separate button to change between Artist:Title and Title:Artist sort modes would probably be the way to go too. That way you have a better chance of finding a song if you know the name or the artist.

I want to keep the interface as simple as possible so you don't need a mouse to operate it. The ini file would hold the key mappings so you could use a Keywiz, Ipac or hacked keyboard.

If anyone has suggestions, by all means let me know. I've written a few bits of multimedia software now and released them as freeware.

David_AVD
12th January 2008, 02:05 PM
I find Partytime Jukebox to be the best.
I just downloaded and tried PartyTime. Can't say I was at all impressed with it. It will only load tracks from directories that have cover art (WTF!), it opened Winamp and started playing the last radio stream I was listening to, and to top it off caused all sorts of weird folder behaviour until I uninstalled it and re-booted. Straight to the recycling bin for that one!

Brad
12th January 2008, 02:34 PM
Can you make your software a choice between Album-Mode or Singles-Mode?

Add the ability to sort by artist, album or title on each would rock.

Brad

David_AVD
12th January 2008, 03:06 PM
I've never really looked into Juke software before so not sure what those modes really mean in terms of sorting. I'm assuming album mode is sorted by Artist:Album:Title and singles mode is just Title:Artist ? I'd have to do some more directory name parsing to separate the Artist - Album parts. Shall we move this to a new thread for further discussion and suggestions for my software?

David_AVD
12th January 2008, 05:18 PM
OK. I've added options to sort:

Artist : Album : Title
Title : Artist

Other features added:

Parses directory names to extract the album name if it's in the "Artist - Album" format
Default album and artist name if it can't determine them from the directory
Settable Play Delay time (between tracks in the queue)

AdamC
12th January 2008, 05:36 PM
Ill have a copy of the beta whenever u make one available :)

Moose74
12th January 2008, 09:09 PM
My jukebox software wishlist would be;

- Support for either singles or full CDs. Interchangable via skins (maybe a menu on startup).
- Keyboard control using minimal keys. (typical mame cab setup).
- Cool skin options. I like retro looks like wincab default.
- Saved playlists and also random songs with a playlist or genre.
- Maybe video support if track is video format.
- Full screen support with windows (no task bar etc).
- Idiot proof so my pissed mates can't stuff it.

David_AVD
12th January 2008, 10:45 PM
Now added to the working list: Attract mode. If no songs played after x seconds, a random audio track / video clip will be played. I also like that retro look but hard to do with video unless you always have a second monitor for the video window. As to your wish list:

Skins - it's probably not going to happen
Saved play lists & random from those lists - quite possibly
Full screen - working on the GIU
Idiot proof - never underestimate idiots!

Brootal
13th January 2008, 09:33 AM
Hey dave, sounds good, I was hoping I wouldn't have to make one myself. I have had some experience developing in that area, but don't really have the time to do it lately.

Would be happy to do some testing for you if you want to send me a beta, or even an alpha

Don't know what resolution you're making it for, but I'm hoping to run that screen at somewhere near DVD quality resolution. (actual figures escape me at the moment it's too early)

Brad
13th January 2008, 09:46 AM
Sweet. You may want to start a new thread for this Dave. As for skins...would be nice but since my graphics skills are non-existant it's something I wouldn't use. I actually like the SKJukebox interface myself.

When I suggested switchable sorting I was kind of hoping that you could have a choice of displaying in Album-mode ala SKJukebox or displaying in Singles mode kind of like Arcade Jukebox.

I'll test it for you too if you like. I can install it on my current juke.

Cheers,
Brad

David_AVD
13th January 2008, 10:54 AM
Can someone explain what the album & singles modes are?

AdamC
13th January 2008, 11:10 AM
I'd say the single mode is like the old orginal jukebokes , where the artist has a song above and below their name - as in a vinal record

David_AVD
13th January 2008, 11:19 AM
Ah, like the default wincab. OK, I'll start a new thread here. (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=126684#post126684)

dmworking247
18th January 2008, 02:15 PM
In case anybody's interested I just found these cool skins (http://web.newsguy.com/ebateman21/wincab/) for DWJUKEBOX (Win Cab)

Including a green alien themed one that will match my bartop. Woohoo!

There's a few in there that look good for albums too?

scottymg
4th November 2010, 11:54 PM
Hi All, I have only just joined this forum and have been enjoying reading a number of the various posts. I currently have a touch screen jukebox software that is linked to a projector. The software that I bought was Jukebox Jockey and I cant fault it. I had one hassle setting up the dual screen output but the solution was provided within 12 hours by the programer (It was not a fault in program - just needed to set up the HDMI output as second screen). It is available for a 30 day trial in either a home edition or a commercial version. I bought the home version and when it boots up there is a small logo in top left of screen for maybe 5 seconds and then it disappears. I think the commercial version also has more advanced import functions but the home edition easily handles my music video library (2000+ clips in .avi, .mp4 & .mkv ranging in size from 50mb - 100mb each:). The program is very easy to use - if interested have a look at http://www.jukeboxjockey.com/

:)

Regards

egosbar
7th November 2010, 05:42 AM
Hi All, I have only just joined this forum and have been enjoying reading a number of the various posts. I currently have a touch screen jukebox software that is linked to a projector. The software that I bought was Jukebox Jockey and I cant fault it. I had one hassle setting up the dual screen output but the solution was provided within 12 hours by the programer (It was not a fault in program - just needed to set up the HDMI output as second screen). It is available for a 30 day trial in either a home edition or a commercial version. I bought the home version and when it boots up there is a small logo in top left of screen for maybe 5 seconds and then it disappears. I think the commercial version also has more advanced import functions but the home edition easily handles my music video library (2000+ clips in .avi, .mp4 & .mkv ranging in size from 50mb - 100mb each:). The program is very easy to use - if interested have a look at http://www.jukeboxjockey.com/

:)

Regards

im beta testing skg jukebox a program that is a dedication to skjuke , still a fair bit of work to do but will be a great juke

RetroBorg
7th November 2010, 10:32 AM
I've installed SKJukebox into mine.
I havent got all separate albums , just put all songs into artists directories - didnt want to have songs in the lists that would never be played. Cuts down the amount of albums that u have to skip through .. ive got about 80 different artists already. = 20 pages.

I was just thinking the other day that this would be the way to go for parties, just have SK Jukebox on random and all the songs would be good.

Don't know if I could be bothered doing all the hard work sorting the music.

Brad
7th November 2010, 10:38 AM
A method employed to do this in some programs is to use a Playlist/Playlists and limit to these to pick your songs from. Off the top of my head SK Juke and E-touch support this.

You could effectively created playlists for particular get togethers. Once they are created thats it.

Brad

acejas
7th November 2010, 11:49 AM
Playlists are a great way!! It doesnt take long and before you know it you can have a dozen playlists...love it!