PDA

View Full Version : Probable MAME computer..Spec. check please

lexmark
29th December 2007, 02:32 PM
Could someone please check the spec's in this box and let me know if they are good enough for a dedicated MAME setup. ??

Should something else be included or excluded in this setup ??

Any feed back would be a huge help.

http://www.abcd.com.au/computer_system/pentiume/ZBEB216110P.htm

Thanks

John

DKong
29th December 2007, 04:45 PM
Looks good to me. If you are going to use an AVGA card make sure the PCI slots are PCIE, as it doesn't seem to have any AGP slots. The AVGA version 2 going from http://www.ultimarc.com/avgafaq.html supports only AGP and PCIE

lexmark
29th December 2007, 05:11 PM
Looks good to me. If you are going to use an AVGA card make sure the PCI slots are PCIE, as it doesn't seem to have any AGP slots. The AVGA version 2 going from http://www.ultimarc.com/avgafaq.html supports only AGP and PCIE

UMMMM....im not quite sure what you mean..I will be using a normal computer monitor as the display,so is your statement still applicable.

OR are you saying to get them to put some AGP slots in ????

Sorry for the nOObness.

John

nigelicious
30th December 2007, 03:36 PM
UMMMM....im not quite sure what you mean..I will be using a normal computer monitor as the display,so is your statement still applicable.

OR are you saying to get them to put some AGP slots in ????

Sorry for the nOObness.

John,

He is referring to the type of slot the Arcade VGA video card will plug into. They support either AGP or PCIe (PCI express). All motherboards have standard PCI slots, this is where you can plug in expansion cards, network cards, sound cards etc. PCIe and AGP are generally used to accept video cards. Motherboards that have onboard (built-in) video may be made cheaply by not including a PCIe or AGP slot.

What he is saying is make sure it has either a PCI express or AGP slot on the motherboard, as the Arcade VGA card does not come in a standard PCI format.

They won't be able to just put in a AGP slot; they would need to put in a motherboard that has PCIe or AGP.

lexmark
30th December 2007, 06:29 PM
John,

He is referring to the type of slot the Arcade VGA video card will plug into. They support either AGP or PCIe (PCI express). All motherboards have standard PCI slots, this is where you can plug in expansion cards, network cards, sound cards etc. PCIe and AGP are generally used to accept video cards. Motherboards that have onboard (built-in) video may be made cheaply by not including a PCIe or AGP slot.

What he is saying is make sure it has either a PCI express or AGP slot on the motherboard, as the Arcade VGA card does not come in a standard PCI format.

They won't be able to just put in a AGP slot; they would need to put in a motherboard that has PCIe or AGP.

Thanks for clarifying that for me ,that sort of stuff just isn't one of my strongest fields of knowledge. :unsure:unsure

John

nigelicious
2nd January 2008, 06:55 AM
Anytime :)

elvis
2nd January 2008, 07:52 AM
Could someone please check the spec's in this box and let me know if they are good enough for a dedicated MAME setup. ??
The latest MAME builds support over 6000 ROM sets. Performance needs for these range from Space Invaders that can run on a 486DX4-100, all the way up to games like Prop Cycle and San Francisco Rush that won't play smoothly even on a cutting edge Pentium Extreme chip.

What sort of games are you intending to emulate most frequently? Tell me that, and I'll tell you if the CPU is fast enough.

Prof
2nd January 2008, 10:36 AM
Performance needs for these range from Space Invaders that can run on a 486DX4-100,

Hmm, wouldn't be with mame and windblows.

elvis
2nd January 2008, 11:35 AM
Hmm, wouldn't be with mame and windblows.

MAME and Linux, DOS, or FreeDOS (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=2527) will run it fine. :)

lexmark
2nd January 2008, 12:51 PM
The latest MAME builds support over 6000 ROM sets. Performance needs for these range from Space Invaders that can run on a 486DX4-100, all the way up to games like Prop Cycle and San Francisco Rush that won't play smoothly even on a cutting edge Pentium Extreme chip.

What sort of games are you intending to emulate most frequently? Tell me that, and I'll tell you if the CPU is fast enough.

elvis ..... at the moment i have a P4 ...3.o GHz .This is my every day use computer .This spec seems to run all the games i have thrown at it out of MAME 118. SO i know that is OK .
I guess i was really asking weather the specs.on the one in my link are OK because im a bit unfamiliar with the new processors.......but I would assume that they are faster than a P4 3.0 GHz :unsure

So I was after some opinions Just in case there might of been something ....Not Right.

John

elvis
2nd January 2008, 02:14 PM
I guess i was really asking weather the specs.on the one in my link are OK because im a bit unfamiliar with the new processors.......but I would assume that they are faster than a P4 3.0 GHz :unsure

If only it was that black and white. :)

The new generation of processors have a lower clockspeed (the box you linked to is a 1.8GHz processor). But they have far superior bandwidth, floating point performance, etc.

As mentioned, MAME has over 6000 ROMs available for it, broken down into a good 500 or so different system architectures. MAME isn't one program - it's a collection of many little programs (the first "M" in "MAME" stands for "Multiple"). Each one reacts differently to different styles of processor. Some games will work better on the 1.8GHz Core2 chip, and some better on your legacy 3GHz P4. The chips being emulated make a big difference.

So again I ask: what sort of games do you like to play?

lexmark
2nd January 2008, 03:56 PM
elvis.....Yeah ...sorry I forgot to answer your question .

I mainly play the simple ones eg. pacman ,dig dug , zoo keeper ,galaxians & so on.... so I know that even an old P2 233 GHz will run them ,cause i have one that does.BUT the kids enjoy the fighting games .
So what im trying to do is buy the best box (or most suitable) I can get for around $450 but if I have to spend more then I will ??.

I'm happy to go with anything that is recommended to me ...that will be a bit future proof...eg 3 - 4 years...if thats possible.

John

nigelicious
4th January 2008, 12:23 PM
You could always go with one of those 1000 in 1 boxes Gamedude is doing pretty cheaply for members? :)

I'm actually keeping an eye on ebay myself for some computer bits for my MAME box... couldn't convince the bosslady to let me use her dell Pentium 3 ;)

lexmark
6th January 2008, 01:24 PM
You could always go with one of those 1000 in 1 boxes Gamedude is doing pretty cheaply for members? :)

I'm actually keeping an eye on ebay myself for some computer bits for my MAME box... couldn't convince the bosslady to let me use her dell Pentium 3 ;)

Yeah....those bossladys can be hard sometimes,mine think's that my new MAME machine isn't going in the house when it's finished ,unless i move out something that takes up just as much space ......so i will ....HER

nigelicious
6th January 2008, 01:58 PM
I hope for your sake you are building a pretty slender cab; if she took up as much space as my cabinet, she'd be quite large! :evil

lexmark
6th January 2008, 03:16 PM
I hope for your sake you are building a pretty slender cab; if she took up as much space as my cabinet, she'd be quite large!

GOOD POINT...thank Christ , she's not that big .

elvis
6th January 2008, 04:08 PM
I mainly play the simple ones eg. pacman ,dig dug , zoo keeper ,galaxians & so on.... so I know that even an old P2 233 GHz will run them ,cause i have one that does.BUT the kids enjoy the fighting games .

CPS1 and CPS2 fighters (all the street fighter games) will happily run on Athlon/PIII era hardware 800MHz-1GHz machines. Mortal Kombat (and most of that generation Midway hardware like NBA Jam) needs around 1.5GHz to be happy.

I happen to run a MAME Benchmarking website. You can search for submitted benchmarks on particular hardware there and get a feel for how things will perform:
http://benchmark.mameworld.net/