PDA

View Full Version : MKII Custom Control Panel

DKong
19th April 2006, 10:56 PM
This is something I have been meaning to do for a long time. when I first mamed my MKII I always wanted the extra sixth button but didn't want to destroy the original CP. So five years later it's happening (mental note complete cabinet before installing roms ):D
I don't want to damage the cabinet in any way as it is original and in excellant condition! My plan was to cut a piece of steel the same size as the original CP and use the same molex connectors as in the cabinet so I can just plug and play or revert back to original in minutes. Bought the steel yesterday $12.00 pretty decent. Made a test pattern to see if would all fit. Marked the holes and took it back to the steel fabricators to cut all my holes (might of attempted this myself but bimetal drill bits are expensive and wear quickly) and for $45.00 they cut 30 something holes.
Now the scary part do they all line up ...This new panel will screw right into where the original one went so everything had to be perfect. Viola! they line up! :D
Today I sanded the CP and primed it with etch primer. I think I will paint it flat black would love some CPO artwork to match the cabinet but seems very expensive.
What do you think?

The Pinny Parlour
19th April 2006, 11:38 PM
I think well done, can't wait to see the finish product.

BTW I love your LAI Donkey Kong cocktail cabinet.

DKong
20th April 2006, 12:40 PM
I think well done, can't wait to see the finish product.

BTW I love your LAI Donkey Kong cocktail cabinet.

Thanks..Its my favourite!

Not much to add to the control panel today just priming. (takes so long for paint to dry down in cold Tassie) Should have a coat of black on today. Waiting for a wiring kit from OzSticks. (The ones with the clamps on the end) should make wiring a breeze. And when I update to lighted LED buttons I can just pull them out easier.

I have six new white buttons for one side and had six used ones for the other. Soaking the used ones in bleach at the moment to see if I can get them really white. Anyone tried this? or do they know a better method.? Can you dye plastic buttons?
I wanted to do this cheaply with all the parts I had lying around and will upgrade Sticks and Buttons and maybe a translucent red trackball as I get them.

DKong
23rd April 2006, 08:59 PM
Did more work on the CP yesterday and today and its finished. I was going to post more pics of the process but seemed to have met my quota? Whats the deal there? I realise I should limit jpeg pics to under 150k but it would not let me post one at 85 k?
Anyhows here's the finished product not bad for four days. I would in hindsight move the 4-way joystick button (red leaf switch) a bit more away from the 2P joystick but it's not to bad. Will give it a good test run tonight
:D
The Joysticks and 3 Jamma buttons are all through the standard jamma harness. The additional 3 butttons per player are wired to the j-pac extra switches. Have the 4-way daisy chained off player 1 as with the red fire button. Seems to be working ok and is less configuration.Boots straight into Mamewah and all is working !:D
Now to play some Centipede and 4-way Pacman!!

XXX-1.8T
8th January 2007, 09:52 PM
any pics of this?

DKong
8th January 2007, 11:35 PM
Here's a finished shot

and a link to some of the building...never really finished the webpage so some links are dead
http://users.bigpond.net.au/BenWah/Pages/Projects/Mortal%20Kombat%20CP.html