PDA

View Full Version : cocktail screenflip?

Black Tiger
23rd December 2007, 11:31 PM
Do many vertical games actually support 'cocktail screenflip mode'?
I've nearly finished building a cocktail cabinet project. At the moment i'm just doing the final touches on the software setup.
I've got MAME running in vertical mode on the monitor as it should, using AtomicFE as the frontend.
but when selecting 2 players, the screen fails to flip alternatively between players!?!?!
I know that some of the games actually tell you that cocktail screen flipping isn't supported in the boot screen, but I haven't come across any that actually do it yet?!?

Is there a box/setting I haven't checked off in the configuration that I may have overlooked??

I hope I didn't construct the dual apposing CP's for nothing!! :017:

RetroBorg
24th December 2007, 07:01 AM
Do many vertical games actually support 'cocktail screenflip mode'?
I've nearly finished building a cocktail cabinet project. At the moment i'm just doing the final touches on the software setup.
I've got MAME running in vertical mode on the monitor as it should, using AtomicFE as the frontend.
but when selecting 2 players, the screen fails to flip alternatively between players!?!?!
I know that some of the games actually tell you that cocktail screen flipping isn't supported in the boot screen, but I haven't come across any that actually do it yet?!?

Is there a box/setting I haven't checked off in the configuration that I may have overlooked??

I hope I didn't construct the dual apposing CP's for nothing!! :017:

Screen flipping is done using the dip switches as most games could be used in cocktail or upright cabinets.

To get to these dipswitches, start the game, press tab, go to dipswitches, and look for an upright/cocktail dipswitch.

Black Tiger
24th December 2007, 08:36 AM
Screen flipping is done using the dip switches as most games could be used in cocktail or upright cabinets.

To get to these dipswitches, start the game, press tab, go to dipswitches, and look for an upright/cocktail dipswitch.

a ha! the old tab key!! I forgot all about that! that's quite an advanced list of options if I remember correctly!

Good work Retroborg! I'll get onto that ;) do I have to edit each and every ROM this way, or is there a master control where it will activate the dipper on all the upright ROMS simultaneously?

DKong
24th December 2007, 12:19 PM
a ha! the old tab key!! I forgot all about that! that's quite an advanced list of options if I remember correctly!

Good work Retroborg! I'll get onto that ;) do I have to edit each and every ROM this way, or is there a master control where it will activate the dipper on all the upright ROMS simultaneously?

The only way I know of is to manually do each one:(. I just went through my favorites and did them all and then kept a keyboard handy to adjust any ones I hadn't done.
It would be good if there was someway to do it all at once, but I have searched before and found no solution.

RetroBorg
24th December 2007, 06:44 PM
;) do I have to edit each and every ROM this way, or is there a master control where it will activate the dipper on all the upright ROMS simultaneously?

Yeah like DKong said, individually, there used to be a special MAME build called PowerMame, one of it proposed features was to make all games cocktail compatiable, even ones like Street Fighter, it was going to split the screen horizontally and mirror the game on the other side of the monitor. Unfortunately this build has stop updating and many of the features they were going to implement didn't eventuate.

I guess this will keep you busy for a little while. :D

Good luck.

Phil

OzStick
24th December 2007, 06:53 PM
Yup - seems crazy but you need to MANUALLY alter the dipswitch on every game for which you want Cocktail mode.

There's so many people doing vertical cocktail cabinets the MAME Dev team must get bombarded with emails about it, so you'd like to think there is some logical reason as to why it is like this.

Black Tiger
24th December 2007, 08:04 PM
ah! I had a feeling there was no quick fix with this.
I don't see it as a problem - it's just another excuse to play something different every day as i sift though them all :unbenannt

Good work Retroborg, DKong & OzStick - thanks for helping me out on this one! I think I'd still be scratching my head right now if it wasn't for you guys

danny_galaga
24th December 2007, 09:23 PM
Yup - seems crazy but you need to MANUALLY alter the dipswitch on every game for which you want Cocktail mode.

There's so many people doing vertical cocktail cabinets the MAME Dev team must get bombarded with emails about it, so you'd like to think there is some logical reason as to why it is like this.

and you can bet the standard reply they give is something along the lines of "mame serves to preserve the arcade games authentically, and display them this way too. cocktail support is within each game. it would not be authentic to just flip everything"

mame devs ignore the fact that we all use mame for fun, not archival purposes :D

OzStick
24th December 2007, 11:22 PM
and you can bet the standard reply they give is something along the lines of "mame serves to preserve the arcade games authentically, and display them this way too. cocktail support is within each game. it would not be authentic to just flip everything"

mame devs ignore the fact that we all use mame for fun, not archival purposes :D

Not to undermine the great work all the MAME Devs have done over the years, but.....
Surely it wouldn't involve much coding to have a routine that detects if a game has a cocktail mode, then checks the default.cfg file to see if "Cocktail Mode" is switched on. Then there's no need to flip everything.

Then again, once it's done you shouldn't need to worry about it any more.

Viper
25th December 2007, 03:40 AM
From memory you can flip every game in ArcadeOS but you have to do it manually. Makes every game work in cocktail mode (not the nicest way to do it though).

Black Tiger
28th December 2007, 12:17 AM

Oh! so mame devs really do wear white lab coats? :lol

DKong
28th December 2007, 01:27 AM
Oh! so mame devs really do wear white lab coats? :lol

Yeah and the few of them hang in a sterile room, with latex gloves waiting for that ultra rare intact PCB to be sent. And when an undumped PCB comes in they all party like it's 1999 new years.:lol

Bless those guy's where/who ever you are.

Arsenic Hipster
28th December 2007, 02:41 AM
I would have thought implementing a master dip switch thingy could be quite difficult. With the button assignments every game has inputs (and mostly jamma or some standard) so you can set up 6 buttons and if the game only uses 3 it ignores the others. So many games with different numbers of switches and what each switch controls isn't necessarily in any particular order. Switch 3 = on could mean 10 different things for different games/systems or mean nothing at all. The dev team would have to have a list that catalogues every switch and its function for every game and you'd still probably have to set up some individually. I think their time could be better spent getting more games working. After all how often do you alter them? And is it really that much of a problem to set them up compared to getting into a cabinet and fiddling with tiny little switches at the back edge of a board?

As for split screen thing (for simultaneous play) I know my current version of mame (mame32 v109, which is kinda old) has a setting that will split the screen and invert one side to show games on a horizontal/vertical cocktail screen that weren't designed to. Such as Street Fighter in on a vertical cocktail screen or DoDonPachi on a horizontal one. Tab > Video Options > Cocktail. Isn't this a standard feature in other versions or builds of mame? I thought it was just another newish feature of mame that is easy to change with mame32 because it's all gui.

shock_
29th December 2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah there is no standard way to flip the lot, because every game is different. I bumped an old BYOAC thread about this just last week I think.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=62097.msg771769#msg771769

That thread contains a link a list of ROMs that support flipping, as far as anyone knows, back in January 07 or something.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Lists

In my case, since my cocktail's controls are asymmetrical (ie. trackball on only one side, spinner on only the other side), flipping a master switch would be undesirable anyway... since I don't want to send control to a side that can't drive the game properly, eg. Centipede.

intigod
29th December 2007, 11:41 AM
i just spent 2 hours going through my roms and changing the dip switches to cocktail... might be useful to just check which games are supported... some games e.g. rtype dont work (at least with my mame version anyway)

Black Tiger
29th December 2007, 03:17 PM
might be useful to just check which games are supported... some games e.g. rtype dont work (at least with my mame version anyway)

yeah, some games actually tell you in the disclaimer that pops up when you initialize a rom like: there are known problems with this game - *game* does not support screen flip in cocktail mode

intigod
29th December 2007, 05:31 PM
yeah, some games actually tell you in the disclaimer that pops up when you initialize a rom like: there are known problems with this game - *game* does not support screen flip in cocktail mode

ah yes I remember this feature. But I have compiled my version of mame to hide all nag/message screens. :)

Black Tiger
29th December 2007, 07:28 PM
ah yes I remember this feature. But I have compiled my version of mame to hide all nag/message screens. :)

Oh wow! so you haven't seen that message screen that says:

"there are known problems with this game - the authenticity isn't
correct unless the buttons are all greasy and have cigarette burns
in them along with the aroma of fish and chips being deep fried.
There is also no sound ...of a lady yelling out "Do you want
chicken or plain salt on your chips?" right in the middle of your
game, breaking your concentration"

I saw this one pop up the other day when I started Rygar - it took me back :lol

intigod
30th December 2007, 01:21 AM
Hehe :)

intigod
30th December 2007, 01:21 AM
Hehe :)

AdamC
24th September 2008, 04:53 PM
That thread contains a link a list of ROMs that support flipping, as far as anyone knows, back in January 07 or something.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Lists

This info has come in handy , as I will be making a cocktail or 2 in the future. :)

Foot
24th September 2008, 06:37 PM
I think I ended up with a little over 300 vertical roms on my cocktail cab. I'm sure there is more but I thinned out the ones that the old girl (the PC, not the Mrs :b ) couldn't handle