PDA

View Full Version : Mame user interface

jockdownunder
13th December 2007, 10:16 PM
With my control panel pretty much built,I'm now looking at software and do I need to add any extra buttons to suit the task of running it.

Apart from player controls,I have 2x player starts,and 2x credit buttons.
I am sure it is a must to have the ability to escape from a game and get back to the menu of your mame software.Also,I would want the ability to use save state and load state

I have an IPAC2 running the show under the lid.While I Believe that using a shift key you can double the outputs ?

As usual,any help appreciated .

AdamC
13th December 2007, 10:24 PM
What frontend are you using?

Heres my buttons for getting urself around on my cab.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showpost.php?p=90607&postcount=77

jockdownunder
13th December 2007, 10:35 PM
What frontend are you using?

Heres my buttons for getting urself around on my cab.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showpost.php?p=90607&postcount=77

Still pissing about with MAME32 to be honest.Ive been reading up on various front ends though

intigod
14th December 2007, 11:19 AM
yes u can use the shift key to increase the number of outputs.... eg. for administrative settings.... personally i would disable this feature all together as there is more chance of someone fiddling with something. i say get it set up the way u want.. maybe get a wireless keyboard and use that for admin stuff (its much quicker).

dmworking247
14th December 2007, 11:27 AM
As intigod said, the iPAC has a shift key function, which means EVERY one of your buttons can have an alternative mapping. By default, the player one start button is your shift key.

If you press player 2 start, that is ESCAPE, if you press right, its ENTER, if you press left its TAB, and if you press player 1 button 1 or 2 it adds credits (from memory).

I have a dedicated keyboard in the keyboard drawer though so this is less necessary (although I do use the P1+P2 to exit games). I disabled some of the other shift functions like credits (because I have coin mechs) and tab/enter (because the kids were moving the joystick whilst pressing P1 start, and they couldnt get out of the menus).

For these reasons its often good to wire up some extra buttons for common tasks like exiting a game (ESC) to dedicated (non shift) inputs of your IPAC, since you'll probably have a few to spare... but dont go crazy or you'll make a frankenpanel with too many "pc buttons".

Read up on the IPAC programming utility, its a simple GUI program that allows you to pick the input on the board and select what button it maps to (so you could map P1, button 8 to ESC for example).

jockdownunder
14th December 2007, 08:50 PM
Once again,thanks for all your advice.Expect many more questions !