PDA

View Full Version : Which O/S ?

jockdownunder
12th December 2007, 05:32 PM
I know this question has probably been asked a million time before,but whats the pro's and cons of using win98 or winXP as the operating system for my cab ?

Ideally I would use XP as the thought of dealing with 98 is such a pain .

spacies
12th December 2007, 08:18 PM
XP all the way. Driver support and ease of use makes it the best choice IMO.

Virgil Tracy
12th December 2007, 08:22 PM
Xp +1

@lien_Zed
12th December 2007, 09:42 PM
a cut down version of xp. use nlite
http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

i have not tried to setup mame in linux yet so i cant vouch for it.

but im sure user "elvis" can help out there

jockdownunder
12th December 2007, 11:21 PM
Glad to hear XP is a favourite,and a lite version is a great idea.

dmworking247
13th December 2007, 09:50 AM
98 + 5 ;)

I've used 98 so far because (for me) it boots faster/less resource hungry, and has a 'true dos mode' if I want to boot directly into DOS for a jukebox software or something (I havent to date... but its an option :)

Also it was a lot less painful to replace bootup/shutdown screens in 98 than it seems to be in 2k/xp

cejay
13th December 2007, 10:09 AM
I'm running 98 in DOS mode. Easy to set up a boot menu to go to jukebox or various gamelaunch menus for multiple emulators.

Main reason for 98 though is resources... I'm running a crappy PC for my MAME and need all the CPU cycles and RAM I can get.

If you have a beefy machine, I'd probably go XP as it looks to have all the really nice looking frontend menus etc and better LAN/wireless support for software updates.

Brootal
13th December 2007, 10:10 AM
XP in my mind is slightly better, driver support, etc being the main thing. But 95/98 is just as viable, but as dm said, it can be booted to a true dos mode if that's what your after

Foot
15th December 2007, 02:31 PM
Tiny XP Beast Edition. I'm running it on an old clunker PII 400 and it works like a charm

elvis
16th December 2007, 08:27 AM
It boils down to driver support. If you can find win98 drivers to suit all the hardware on your rig, then cool. Problem is most modern systems have motherboard and AGP (or newer PCI-Express) chipsets that just don't have win98 drivers. They'll work OK with default/generic drivers, but performance will be slow.

If you've got the time and effort, try both. Load up win98, deck it out with drivers, and benchmark a few games. Blow it away and do the same in XP. Whichever has the best averages wins.

I run a MAME benchmarking site:
http://benchmark.mameworld.net/

That should give you some tips on how to tell which one is performing better. Nothing like a bit of scientific, objective analysis to make decisions for you. :)

Mickey Juice
9th January 2008, 02:57 PM
A mate gave me a PC with Windows ME on it... and it's a mess.
I might try some of those liteXP versions on it.

It won't run a full version of XP (128mb RAM, 800Mhz celery) would stripped down versions of XP work OK on slower PCs? or I might just try Win2K

Viper
9th January 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm running TinyXP on my son's P3 500MHz ( he's 3 by the way) and it runs fine. I initially set this machine up to run MAME with the old vertical games and it worked fine. Fast boot time and all the drivers still there.

danielsoar
10th January 2008, 02:52 PM
Im using vista, ive tried xp and 98 and am happiest with vista

Before anyone has a go, i got 2gb of ram for free and the old box i had died so i ended up with a core 2 processor so im more than happy with the performance

lastly the suspend mode (or hibernate if you prefer) is the quickest i have seen from any OS which i tied to my power button,

It boots quicker than win98 now :)

thats just me

felixthadog
10th January 2008, 03:37 PM
i got 2gb of ram for free

I'll take it! :badgrin:tomato

Matthew

danielsoar
10th January 2008, 03:44 PM
haha yeah i must admit i was happy when my brother decided to get one of the new 1333fsb cpus and upon bringing it home realised his ram was too slow ;)

intigod
11th January 2008, 08:34 PM
ill 2nd tiny xp... revision 5 in fact :)

Arcade King
11th January 2008, 09:05 PM
Which tiny XP had network support? i'm using pro atm and I wouldn't trade network support for faster loading times. I can set my whole box up remotely and thats the way its staying :)

intigod
12th January 2008, 10:00 AM
rev 5 supports networks... I've had no probs with it, pm me if u have any probs or questions

nigelicious
30th January 2008, 05:58 PM
Rehashing an old thread:

I just set up one of the P4 1.6's I got from ebay with TinyXP Beast Edition (available at your favourite torrent site). The boot time is incredible and it runs like the clappers. Won't get to test it with my Cab until the sucker is built... but so far so good. Unmanned install aswell which is a plus, once you select the partition to install on it does everything else.

Less than 20 seconds from the moment I turn the beast on (includes POST etc.)

AdamC
30th January 2008, 08:34 PM
Hey thats good

Might throw it in the arcade cab when i get around to setting that one up.

nigelicious
30th January 2008, 08:45 PM
Hey thats good

Might throw it in the arcade cab when i get around to setting that one up.

Do it for sure Adam, boots these monsters up much faster than that 2k install did

Diverdown
30th January 2008, 08:59 PM
Tiny XP Beast Edition. I'm running it on an old clunker PII 400 and it works like a charm

Ditto

although for me its worked a charm on several P111 500 and above cabs.

uses no disk space and very little cpu power etc.

dmworking247
30th January 2008, 09:01 PM
I'm running TinyXP ("Rev 2?") on the hardware I'm setting up for one of the bartops, and its booting in 14 seconds from the 'starting Windows' screen. So far I'm pretty impressed.

Whats the difference between the beast edition and the normal/one above?

Diverdown
31st January 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm running TinyXP ("Rev 2?") on the hardware I'm setting up for one of the bartops, and its booting in 14 seconds from the 'starting Windows' screen. So far I'm pretty impressed.

Whats the difference between the beast edition and the normal/one above?

Experience makes several versions. As far as I can tell the Beast edition has basically everything stripped except network support. it is designed, as Experience states, to "be hell fast". It says it has most of the driver packs included so you shouldn't need to add drivers.

I have found, however, that it does not include video card drivers as it has not recognised any of the tnt2 or matrox cards i used. but no biggie.

If you have the bandwidth I recommend searching for "experience XP ultimate edition.

Once you have that you can rip or create about 5 different typed of tinyXP versions, including BEAST, VISTA, etc. Then read up on each versions specs.

The great thing about this is it gives you the ability to add up to 500mb of "other files" to the xp iso you create so you can add mala/mame etc (even in a folder :\emulators\programs) if u like. When you install beast it will copy these to your HDD for you at same time.

just my 3 cents

Arcade King
3rd February 2008, 08:41 AM
Decided to give TinyXP Beast edition a try last night. Having issues with getting the network to work right. TightVNC wont connect and i cant access files across the network from this PC.
:(

Arcade King
3rd February 2008, 05:06 PM
Update. Beast edition no good for me because network support removed( you can still use the net with it but i couldn't connect via the lan).
Gave TinyXP Rev6 a go and works great. Once you install theres a "tweak" folder with a script that asks you 20+ questions to further trim XP.
Works real well.
Beast would be good for front ends like MamaWah and AtomicFE but I need the extra network support to really get the most out of GameEX

elvis
3rd February 2008, 08:49 PM
You know, I've wondered for a long time why Microsoft don't offer a trimmed down version of Windows for people wanting to make hobby machines (home theater PCs, in-car audio PCs, jukebox/arcade machines, etc, etc).

Windows is such a "everything and the kitchen sink" OS at the moment. Surely there would be a huge market for a legitimate/legal cut back version designed for semi-embedded applications? Or is that just going to eat into Windows CE/embedded market share (which is highly profitable mostly due to development licensing sold in parallel)?