PDA

View Full Version : MAME Arcade Machine Help

Mjr074
15th April 2006, 09:29 PM
I have just purchased a MAME arcade machine and being new to this I wonder whether someone can help. The machine has a small form factor Pentium computer with hard drive, video card and Mame software. It has Game Launcher as the frontend program and also the program Xtree Gold.
On the hard drive is some extra ROMS and I have been tranfering them using the Xtree program to the main menu of the machine.
What I want to do is download some ROMS from the internet to my arcade machine but it doesn't have a floppy or CD drive (the arcade machine computer). So is there anyway I can do this ? Someone mentioned to me a USB or an external drive....any ideas ?

Thanks
Mjr074:120:

The Pinny Parlour
15th April 2006, 09:33 PM
Hi Mjr074,

Welcome to Aussie Arcade.

We encourage you to contribute as much as you can, and/or just enjoy what the site has to offer.

Enjoy!

Is your mame machine connected to yor home network or the internet? If so, easy as. If not, a USB memory key or DVD or CD will suffice. You DL (DownLoad) them to your home PC, then transfer to either a USB key or CD or DVD disc. Easiest way is to network you mame machine to your home pc and share the net connection or direct connect to the net and DL. If you need more elaboration on how to perform these tasks, just ask.

Regards,
Ian

alessiman
15th April 2006, 09:36 PM
1st what versions of windows is it running? also does it have a usb input

the other thing you can try is install a crossover cable to it

BTW Xtree Gold is not licensed software :rolleyes

Mjr074
15th April 2006, 10:37 PM
My Mame machine isn't connected to my home computer.
I'm thinking maybe the easiest way is USB and I need to have a look and see if it has an usb input. Would this be on the back of the hard drive ?

Mjr074
15th April 2006, 10:41 PM
It's not running any version of Windows its in DOS. It would be alot easier if it was I think. What's a cross over cable ? And I didn't know that about Xtree Gold, no wonder I can't find anything on the net about Xtree and Mame cabinets

alessiman
15th April 2006, 10:48 PM
It's not running any version of Windows its in DOS. It would be alot easier if it was I think. What's a cross over cable ? And I didn't know that about Xtree Gold, no wonder I can't find anything on the net about Xtree and Mame cabinets

can you goto the DOS prompt and type "ver"

what does it return

Xtree is oldschool dos. it is not part of the operating system and is used by people unfamilar with the command line interface (CLI)

it is also. not free :)

based on what you have told me your machine would unlikely have a USB connection. Happy to be proven wrong though!

My suggestion is rip out the machine, bung in a cd drive and install win98se and something like Game Launcher

I would be interested on what size hard drive you have

BTW where did you get this machine from anyway?

RetroBorg
16th April 2006, 01:09 AM
Does DOS evn support USB?

elvis
16th April 2006, 10:35 AM
Does DOS evn support USB?
You can set USB keyboard compatability in your BIOS for DOS. For other devices, I don't think there's support in MS-DOS.

FreeDOS is compatible with MS-DOS, is free (hence the name) and adds support for all "new" stuff like LBA32 hard disk access, FAT32 (larger than 2GB partitions and hard disks), DMA (faster access to drives), etc, etc. Check it out and see if it adds USB support:
http://www.freedos.org/

Mjr074
16th April 2006, 05:16 PM
can you goto the DOS prompt and type "ver"

what does it return

Xtree is oldschool dos. it is not part of the operating system and is used by people unfamilar with the command line interface (CLI)

it is also. not free :)

based on what you have told me your machine would unlikely have a USB connection. Happy to be proven wrong though!

My suggestion is rip out the machine, bung in a cd drive and install win98se and something like Game Launcher

I would be interested on what size hard drive you have

BTW where did you get this machine from anyway?
I typed in 'ver' and it says MS-DOS 6.22
I brought the cocktail machine from www.classicgames.com.au

Mjr074
16th April 2006, 05:43 PM
Just to add to that I have typed in FDISK/STATUS and it says :
Disk - 1 Mbytes - 4090 Usage - 50%
Drive - C Mbytes - 2045

Mjr074
16th April 2006, 07:01 PM
The arcade computer also seems to have an USB connection.

The Pinny Parlour
16th April 2006, 07:33 PM
Personally, I would just removed the HDD from your mame machine, slave it up to your main machine....copy whatever you want over to the mame HDD then remove it, and hook it back up to your mame machine.

RetroGame
17th April 2006, 06:55 PM
This is not a job for a computer novice, if you wan't to install any more software onto this PC then you are going to have to install new hardware (floppy drive and possibly a CD-ROM). Or remove the hard disk from them machine from the game and install it into another PC as a slave. There are other options such as connecting 2 computers together using a null modem cable.

I can help you with these steps if you feel confident as I am familiar with the sofware build in the machines from classicgaming (they copied the HDD from one of my machines a few years ago).

Mjr074
18th April 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that. I don't feel very confident enough to start installing new hardware. I was hoping the options like connecting 2 computers or an USB would be easier.
I've learnt more about Mame machines since I brought mine and maybe I can get my hands on a cheep computer one day and try from scratch. :)

Mjr074

Mjr074
18th April 2006, 03:20 PM
Just thought of something else and that is that I've got an old laptop computer and it runs PC Dos 6.3 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 The arcade computer runs Dos 6.22 anyway I can connect the two ?

alessiman
18th April 2006, 03:25 PM
Just thought of something else and that is that I've got an old laptop computer and it runs PC Dos 6.3 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 The arcade computer runs Dos 6.22 anyway I can connect the two ?

No you cant do that. You'll need some type of peer to peer program on both machines for that to work.

If you were melbourne based I could do it for you. The only other option is to try the slave options as mentioned in other posts

I wish I could remember that serial cross-over program I used to run during my lan admin days...

The name will haunt me for ages now until i find it

RetroGame
18th April 2006, 03:52 PM
Dos 6.22 has 2 programs included to connect 2 computers, they are called INTERLNK and INTERSVR. Connect the 2 PCs together with a null modem serial cable, run INTERSVR on the host machine and INTERLNK on the client. The client machine will see the hosts drives as drives on the client. ie, A & C drives on the host will appear as D & E on the client. The DOS 6.22 help gives you the info you need to set this up. CD-ROM drives can not be shared.

Mjr074
18th April 2006, 05:46 PM

Savage
19th April 2006, 05:57 PM
I think LapLink gold you be you best partner to link them up.
I've got the software, but you'll probably need cables. HAd the aftware for a while and never actually used it!

Prof
19th April 2006, 06:40 PM
you can also set up network cards in dos. I would need to dig all my micro$oft stuff out to see how.

And yes, I have done it in a lab. Using dos to browse a mapped drive on a windows 200 server.

All normal dos commands work too