PDA

View Full Version : FrogF(Falcon bootleg) to "FROGGER"

MadMikeAU
13th April 2006, 10:36 AM
Last night, Arcade King challenged me to make his Falcon bootleg of Frogger display "FROGGER" instead of "*FROG**" (where *=a frog picture).

Well, here it is...
Only had to change 6 bytes in one ROM. It even works in MAME if you rename the 6.bin.frogger to 6.bin.
And seeing as I am such a nice guy, I even added a text file breifly explaining what I did to work it out.

Enjoy

Arcade King
13th April 2006, 10:41 AM
Now for the real test.... on the real hardware.
Watch this space peeps.

Arcade King
13th April 2006, 05:42 PM
The board decided it didnt want to sync this morning :x took me hours to find the fault but in the process I fixed another crappy fault where if you had the voltage over 4.5 the graphics would start playing up. for example on the into screen the frog would turn into a car as it jumped.
The sync problem was a bad 74ls107. pins 2 and 8 which are joined.

Anyway I'm happy to say Mike your a freeking genius. :023: 100% working frog to frogger conversion .
The ONLY difference between the falcon bootleg and the original PCB is one 74ls245 on the original thats sits just above the CPU and the title screen says FROG.

Next challenge Mike. Get the Konami 1981 back at the bottom :)

MadMikeAU
13th April 2006, 05:59 PM
I'll look into that later tonight :)
I noticed it was placing an R on the screen at roughly the right place (dunno what thats about, but isnt appearing on screen as it is probably black on black).
hmmm....

Mickey Juice
13th April 2006, 08:42 PM
for example on the into screen the frog would turn into a car as it jumped.

Ha! That sounds funny (probably funnier than it really is)

MadMikeAU
13th April 2006, 10:21 PM
pffft! frogf is my bitch. I only had to change 8.bin this time

For clarity: this set now displays "FROGGER" (6.bin) and "KONAMI (c) 1981" (8.bin)

Arcade King
13th April 2006, 11:05 PM
Mike has done it again well done mate!!!

Thats some sweet arse hacking skills you got there mate cheers. That PCB wll go nicely along side my original Sega.

I got a Bootleg Scramble here that could use your magical touch ;)

MadMikeAU
14th April 2006, 07:47 AM
Why not? BTW, the frogf is on scamble hardware, or at least it uses the scramble driver in MAME.

Arcade King
14th April 2006, 08:18 AM
The scramble I have was a frogger I converted back. There was a lot of wiring on it, you can read about it HERE (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=49) where I documented the hack. This scramble to Frogger hack is very common but is not like the Falcon board.
The Falcon Board is chip for chip the same as a original Frogger except for that 245. I have tried to use the LAI unprotected Frogger roms on the Falcon Board with no luck when I was trying to get rid of that FROG.
Turning The Frogger back to Scramble was another story. I needed a unprotected romset which The Prof dumped for me to get the board running scramble again. When I tried the Konami set it would just hang on the title screen. The unprotected set is not in mame so its going to be a real challenge for you...maybe :D
Having said all that I'm sure with the right rom set this Falcon board could easily run Scramble.

joemagiera
1st February 2018, 02:42 AM
pffft! frogf is my bitch. I only had to change 8.bin this time

For clarity: this set now displays "FROGGER" (6.bin) and "KONAMI (c) 1981" (8.bin)

Hi MadMike, any chance I can talk you into one more update on this? For those of us in the USA, we generally have Sega/Gremlin Frogger cabinets. So on Sega/Gremlin Frogger PCBs, it displays "SEGA (c) 1981" instead of the Konami. You can check it out yourself in MAME on the Frogger Sega set 1 or Frogger Sega set 2. So people in the USA would want/expect to see a Sega copywrite instead of a Konami copywrite.

Can you make one more ROMset, or alternate version of 8.bin to display Sega please?

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
joemagiera@ameritech.net

joemagiera
16th February 2018, 11:27 PM
Thanks to Mike documenting his hacks very well, I was able to do this myself.

Both 6.bin and 8.bin are 2732’s and on the bottom/larger board of the two board stack. And they are under the smaller top board, so you’ll have to remove the top board. 6.bin is in the location labeled IC5 on the larger/bottom board. 8.bin is in the location labeled IC7 on the larger/bottom board. You do not have to replace both ROMs. If you just want the title screen to show FROGGER, but don’t care about the copyright, just change out IC5. If you’re fine with FROG, but want a copyright to show, then just change out IC7.

THE FILE ATTACHED HERE IS NAMED "Frog_hack_zip.doc". I wasn't able to upload a .zip file. YOU WILL NEED TO RENAME IT TO "Frog_hac.zip" and then unzip it to use the ROM images.

Attached is a zip file named Frog_hack.zip which contains these three files:
1) ROM image for 6.bin (IC5) to display “FROGGER” on the title screen of a FF PCB (thanks and credit to MadMike).
2) ROM image for 8.bin (IC7) to display the Konami copyright on a FF PCB (thanks and credit to MadMike).
3) ROM image for 8.bin (IC7) to display the Sega copyright on a FF PCB (my first ROM hack, and it’s a hack of a hack).

I'm not sure if I added the file correctly. If you need it, please email me.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
joemagiera@ameritech.net