PDA

View Full Version : question regarding taito cocktail control panels

intigod
19th November 2007, 02:26 PM
some of you may or may not have heard i got my hands on a legless taito style cocktail cab from ebay a week or so ago... it looks pretty much like this one

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=10008&highlight=taito

im currently interstate so i havent had a chance to inspect it but i have a few questions regarding the control panels...

im thinking of converting the joystick to a 4 way (perhaps a magstick plus)... i think its a 2 way now.. and i want to add an extra fire button (currently only has one button)

so has anyone played these style control panels with a 4way/8way??
the cps seem to be at such an acute angle, would it be extremely uncomfortable to play 4way games???
i want to leave it as original as possible... and dont fancy building out a control panel at a nicer angle...

thankyou

ps... if anyone has a spare lid for this style cocktail or legs... in VIC id been very keen...

pending on davejedi... thankyou mate :)

coolspot
19th November 2007, 02:29 PM
wheres it coming from im about 30-40 minutes away from dave:)

intigod
19th November 2007, 02:49 PM
as far as i know somewhere out in the mountains.... haha i think dave needs a 4wd to grab the legs for me.... after a fishing trip :)

felixthadog
19th November 2007, 02:54 PM
Excellent purchase, great to hear you are keeping it (mostly) original. However, I reckon a 4-way joystick on a vertical CP would be a bitch to play games with :o

Matthew

intigod
19th November 2007, 03:04 PM
hmmm yeah thats what i was thinking..

anyone tried it this way????

there dont seem to be too many vertical 2 way games that i can think of... apart from galaga and pleiads of course

speaking of which... i dont even no what game is in the cab?? i think its all in pieces... cant wait to muck around with it

LOTR4U
19th November 2007, 04:39 PM
Davejedi is getting my Taito cp's hey Dave.

spacies
19th November 2007, 04:47 PM
I suggest not playing games that require rapid firing like Galaga etc. Its real hard on the wrists.

narf_
19th November 2007, 06:25 PM
ive seen op modified panels with 4 ways

magsticks might be overkill perhaps on a cocktail you wouldnt get the full wrist motion. zippy's are good on cocktails ive read on the forum here and gamedude has em cheap atm

as for adding buttons i would get a new set of faceplates made if you were doing that

intigod
19th November 2007, 06:31 PM
ive seen op modified panels with 4 ways

magsticks might be overkill perhaps on a cocktail you wouldnt get the full wrist motion. zippy's are good on cocktails ive read on the forum here and gamedude has em cheap atm

as for adding buttons i would get a new set of faceplates made if you were doing that

yah ive got some zippys :) im keeping my eye out for some 2 button faceplates.... setup for 4/8way joysticks... anyone to help me out?

narf_
19th November 2007, 06:39 PM
that be a toughie

all you need is a tin plate and some MDF for backing. the MDF is optional ive seen some plates with some without

garuda
19th November 2007, 09:03 PM
I have changed a set of these to 8 ways sticks before. I drilled a centre hole above and below the joyctick slot and then tin snipped out a section and filed it. There is already a bracket behind those panel for a two way joystick and this won't fit 8 ways. You will have to carefully bend them, I did it with a mallet and a vice. Then I drilled some joystick holes for the new sticks. I only did this because the artwork was in very poor condition. If the artwork is good I would cut a new pair from steel and cover them. I have both painted (with some effects) and covered new plates and they look great when done.

narf_
19th November 2007, 09:31 PM
im out my mates on the w.e ill have a looksie for some old panels if you want to just mod some old ones

intigod
21st November 2007, 06:49 PM
ya id appreciate it if u can find some old panels :)

i def want to mod em.... and make it a 4 way

as for rapid fire...... galaga is prob the main game id be playing on this haha

RSI here we come :)

danny_galaga
21st November 2007, 09:10 PM
hmmm yeah thats what i was thinking..

anyone tried it this way????

there dont seem to be too many vertical 2 way games that i can think of... apart from galaga and pleiads of course

speaking of which... i dont even no what game is in the cab?? i think its all in pieces... cant wait to muck around with it

galaxians, phoenix, space invaders, moon cresta. and since moon cresta promises:

trip to the space war
moon cresta
try it now!!
you can get a lot
of fun and thrill

how could you NOT have it on there :D

there arent THAT many 2 way vertical, but enough i reckon to make it worthwhile...

intigod
21st November 2007, 09:41 PM
galaxians, phoenix, space invaders, moon cresta. and since moon cresta promises:

trip to the space war
moon cresta
try it now!!
you can get a lot
of fun and thrill

how could you NOT have it on there :D

there arent THAT many 2 way vertical, but enough i reckon to make it worthwhile...

no ill agree there are some goodies u list... i just think though a 4 way would add a lot more :) but may be a little uncomfortable to play (am i being greedy)... i cant wait to start working on this... its 2 projects i got now.... ill prob be giving away some parts from this cab... i dont know what game pcb it is or if the monitor is black/white or colour.... i might not need them.. il keep ya all posted :)

narf_
21st November 2007, 10:19 PM
ill go out probably saturday or sunday and let you know once im home

ebay the pcb for another one :)

intigod
21st November 2007, 10:33 PM
yah... well this is my first original machine... i dont think its wired up so my brother tells me... so ill spend a little time seeing how it all works..... cant wait to get home and start playing around with it....

after that ill prob try to sell what i can :) or maybe see if anyone on aa would want anything :)

oh and thanx narf for all your help :)

narf_
21st November 2007, 11:43 PM
not a worry in the end what goes around comes around