PDA

View Full Version : X-arcade joysticks - don't like the feel

johnblade
11th April 2006, 09:36 AM
I'm a newbie to the arcade scene and thought I'd grab an X-arcade stick to work with all my consoles and pc/mac's. Nice solid build to it, yadda yadda.

Playing various fighter's on my dreamcast with the stick though proved that I don't really like the default sticks that come with the X-arcade.
They're supposed to be copies of Happ Super's and I've never used a Super before but I just didn't like the feel of 'em. I took a trip to the local arcade (replay in the brisbane city) and had a game on a few of the fighters there which was 100% better.
Not sure what sticks they had in their candy rigs, maybe mca? Anyhow I could throw the combo's out a lot easier, it just seemed to be better.

Anyone played on the x-arcade's and share my views with them? I found that 3d fighters (soul calibur 2) play really well, just that 2d fighter's seemed to be a bit sloppy.

I've ordered some Sanwa's from and google'd a little bit to find out that they won't be a simple fit for the X-arcade's since they are designed to fit into slim metal frame. Anyone had any experience with this?

Berty
11th April 2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Johnblade,

Welcome to the forums! :D

Check out this thread on input devices....

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=890

It might give you a better idea of whats out there.

Last time i went into replay, they had mca's on their vs cabs which is a shame. What is it that you dont like about the happ supers? are they too rigid for you?

The sanwa mod can be done, but it just depends on what type of sanwa stick you ordered. I have performed a sanwa mod on a Dreamcast controller and it wasnt too hard. Mind you i did it using a JLF type stick, not the Ultimarc J stick (which is impossible to make fit in the dreamcast controller)

If you got the JLF sanwa stick then you will probably have an easier time doing it. The only catch is that you will need the additional mounting plate and will have to do some minor re-wring to get everything to go to the 5 pin JVS connector.

The ultimarc j stick should just be a direct swap in the x-arcade box.

Berty
11th April 2006, 09:49 AM
One more thing,

you mention that the sanwa's are designed for slim metal cpo's? That only relates to the OBSF type snap in buttons, not sticks. I recently managed to get japanese snap in buttons to fit into my Australia LAI Neo Geo cab no problem at all.

elvis
11th April 2006, 10:01 AM
The X-Arcade products use a Chinese-made copy of the Happ joysticks. They aren't the real deal, and the feel of the sticks reflects this. I know a lot of folks who have bought X-Arcade gear and been pretty disappointed with it.

Honestly if you want Happ-quality arcade hardware on a home stick, you will have to build your own. Alternatively check out the range of sticks at OzStick. They use Japanese made Sanwa parts which have a much looser spring than the American style Happ stuff, but the build quality is a million times better than X-Arcade's cheapy rubbish.

X-Arcade stuff is fine for casual players. or maybe as a cheap stick for the kids. But I really don't consider them good enough for semi-serious play.

For a long time I considered making and selling sticks privately (ala Byrdo in the US), but the amount of time, effort, and cost that would go into making them would push the sticks well into the $200+ range per stick. And quite frankly (a) that's a price your average user isn't willing to pay and (b) OzStick already make great quality single player sticks for less than that.

johnblade
11th April 2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

I've purchased the sticks from OzStick and I believe they are Ultimarc, so hopefully they will swap in nicely to the x-arcade.

The X-arcade joysticks are replica's of Happ Supers, so I don't know if it's just the x-arcade variant or supers in general but I was having a difficult time (mainly in marvel vs capcom 2) pulling of fast combo's, etc. I guess I'm used to shorter throws, and with the MCA style sticks I was doing a lot better (in the arcade) then at home with the x-arcade.

I've read that long thread and it's quite interesting, seems like MCA's are el-cheapo and not regarded as a competition style which is fine by me.

I purchased the X-arcade originally because I wanted something that I could use in multiple machines (dreamcast/ps2/gamecube/pc), and whilst expensive it does do that.

Hopefully these replacement sticks will ease my woes and then I can consider making a rig.

Viper
11th April 2006, 10:38 AM
MCA's are el-cheapo BUT many people actually like the feel of them and although they are cheap (I hate to say it) they are actually quite sturdy which is why most operators use them. Personally I hate them because they feel far too loose and have too long a throw but I never play fighters which is why they don't suit my stlye of play.

From memory Happs sticks tend to be more popular with those who play fighters. Sanwa sticks are apprently great for old style scrolling/shooters. Don't know about using Sanwa's for fighters though. Although if that's what Chris uses in his control panels they must be fine.

elvis
11th April 2006, 11:00 AM
I've purchased the sticks from OzStick and I believe they are Ultimarc, so hopefully they will swap in nicely to the x-arcade.
They are manufactured by Sanwa exclusively for Ultimarc, for whom OzStick is the only official reseller in Australia/New Zealand.

All documented in the Arcade Input Documentation Project:
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=890

From memory Happs sticks tend to be more popular with those who play fighters. Sanwa sticks are apprently great for old style scrolling/shooters. Don't know about using Sanwa's for fighters though. Although if that's what Chris uses in his control panels they must be fine.
Happ are predominant in the US for fighting games, while if you travel to Japan you simply will not find a fighting game that doesn't use Sanwa parts.

Which is "better" is down to personal opinion. The crowds over at the shoryuken.com forums are pretty evenly split as to what are the preferred sticks.

I was 100% US style stick (aka: Happ Competition Pro) up until 2 years ago when I got some sticks from OzStick, and discovered the joy that is Japanese style parts. Now I love my Sanwas to death.

Anyways, check the link above for the arcade stick documentation thread. It should answer a lot of questions. And please, if there are sticks/buttons/wheels/spinners/whatever not covered, by all means add your own mini-review. That thread needs some serious fattening up!

Berty
11th April 2006, 01:15 PM
They are manufactured by Sanwa exclusively for Ultimarc, for whom OzStick is the only official reseller in Australia/New Zealand.

They are actually available from sanwa normally. I put their part number im the input hardware thread.

I think that many of us grew up with MCA so we're used to it. It only been in recent years that i have made the change to Asashi/Seimitsu/Sanwa sticks, mainly because i liked the feel of the DC agetec stick so much when it was released.

XiTaU
11th April 2006, 02:09 PM
im going to get me some Asashi/Seimitsu sticks soon they are so cheap from excellentcom. When you got them how much did they slug you for shipping?

elvis
11th April 2006, 02:10 PM
They are actually available from sanwa normally. I put their part number im the input hardware thread.
Well bugger me, I didn't know that.

I think that many of us grew up with MCA so we're used to it. It only been in recent years that i have made the change to Asashi/Seimitsu/Sanwa sticks, mainly because i liked the feel of the DC agetec stick so much when it was released.
I've never actually liked MCA. I like arcade games, so I put up with MCAs. :)

The first home joystick I got was a Happ Competition Pro with heavy spring on a HES Tank joystick for SNES (which I've since modded to USB for PC/Mac):
http://pcdb.overclockers.com.au/view.php?name=elvis_mame&page=pics

That was (and still is) a nice stick.