PDA

View Full Version : My proposal for my MAME cabinet

Vicked
6th April 2006, 12:00 PM
Hello All

I have a NEO GEO 2 slot cabinet with working screen and controls. The motherboard however doesn't seem to be working.

I have been doing ALOT of reading and I now have a fairly good idea of how I'm going to turn this thing into a MAME cabinet. I want to leave it so that I can turn it back into a standard cabinet in the future (I might build my own MAME cab in future).

Here is my proposal, please provide me with some feedback/pointers as I want to get this right first time:

1. In order to be able to use the cab again as a standard NEO GEO cab, create a JAMMA to MVS interface following these instructions (http://www.hardmvs.com/html/jammaAdapt.htm).
2. Use an ArcadeVGA and J-Pac to drive the monitor and controls.
3. I'm not sure of exactly how to power the monitor, I've read about an isolation transformer but I don't know how it works. I would appreciate some help here. If I'm using the J-Pac can I simply power the monitor using the cabinet power on switch?

Hope you guys can take some time to give me some feedback, I can't wait to get started on my cab :)

bigrob
6th April 2006, 12:14 PM
3. I'm not sure of exactly how to power the monitor, I've read about an isolation transformer but I don't know how it works. I would appreciate some help here. If I'm using the J-Pac can I simply power the monitor using the cabinet power on switch?

Hi Viked,
You can run the power cable out through the same hole as the arcade cable (might be tight fit) or connect it directly to the I/O switch on the back of the cab.

Rob

Viper
6th April 2006, 12:48 PM

Hope you guys can take some time to give me some feedback, I can't wait to get started on my cab :)

Most cabs have a stepdown transformer in them. It's usually got the power cord for the machine (and therefore 240V) wired in at one end and the other splits off into two (110V). One goes to the monitor and the other to the cabinet power supply (that supplies your 12V and 5V). Although I didn't experience any problems just leaving it the way it was there is some discussion that the J-PAC won't like the 5V from the JAMMA connector so they suggest disconnecting the power supply from the JAMMA or removing it altogether and powering your 12V items (marquee lights and coin mech's) from your PC power supply.

The arcade monitor needs the 110V from the stepdown transformer regardless so it must stay. The only decision is what to do about the 5/12V power supply. Keeping in mind if you remove it you can't use your JAMMA/Neo-Geo boards again I'd leave it the way it is. If you are really worried I suppose you could wire in a switch to the JAMMA/MVS harness you are making that allows you to turn off the 5V on demand and ensure it doesn't get to the J-PAC.

Vicked
6th April 2006, 01:17 PM
Great.

So I can basically just use the power switch in the cabinet for powering the monitor, if I just ensure that the 5v and 12v don't reach the J-Pac.

Microwrx - Are you using a J-Pac with the 5v and 12v connected? And its working fine?

The Pinny Parlour
6th April 2006, 01:42 PM
Great.

So I can basically just use the power switch in the cabinet for powering the monitor, if I just ensure that the 5v and 12v don't reach the J-Pac.

Microwrx - Are you using a J-Pac with the 5v and 12v connected? And its working fine?

Hi Vicked,

<snip from my site: http://www.thepinnyparlour.com/jammacocktail.html >

I'm going to keep the JAMMA harness in this and use the JPAC as it will double as a MAME beast and a JAMMA platform.

To make it run Mame when not using a JAMMA PCB, I just disconnected from the cabinets power supply the following:

+5
+12

I have left the other wires connected so that the monitor powers up only and it is grounded. (Last thing I need is to die from electric shock). To use a JAMMA PCB I reversed what I have just done

Vicked
6th April 2006, 01:58 PM
What is the benefit of using an Arcade Monitor over a PC Monitor?

I have a 21" PC Monitor I could use in the cab.

As I see it, it would require me moving the arcade monitor out (discharging etc which looks DAUNTING) and putting my monitor in (again discharging). It would obviously render the cab useless as an original, but would save me $250 in ArcadeVGA and J-Pac costs.

In future I may build myself a cab and put a computer in, so I'm hesitent to spend the $250 if I won't need the parts in the future (will maybe need the J-Pac).

I also want to play other emulated games, such as the mighty Amiga. Will the Arcade Monitor be a problem for this?

Viper
6th April 2006, 04:28 PM
I had my 4 player machine setup so player 1&2 ran off the J-Pac wired to JAMMA with an ArcadeVGA and still had the power supply wired in as well. I ran it full time for at least 12 months like that and on the odd occasion plugged in PCB's to play also. Never had a problem. However there are apparently several websites where there are reports of the J-Pac being adversely affected by the 5V from the power supply hence the warning.

There is nothing wrong with using a PC monitor. They work fine but some will say they work too well and do not give the feel of the original game as the graphics are too crisp. I am about to install a 21" PC monitor into my next upright MAME machine and will not be using the JAMMA harness. If you take out the arcade monitor then you may as well gut the machine and just use an I-PAC or KeyWiz for the keyboard interface. Sure, you could use a J-Pac but the only benefit you'll get is not having to rewire the CP which isn't much benefit for the extra $$'s (in my opinion).

If you even think you may want to be able to plug the Neo-Geo motherboard back in stick with the arcade monitor and pay the extra for the ArcadeVGA and J-Pac. Otherwise rip it all out which is what I'd do after being down both paths previously and about to do it again (PC monitor).

I can't comment on other emulators.

Smit
6th April 2006, 05:28 PM
...I am about to install a 21" PC monitor into my next upright MAME machine and will not be using the JAMMA harness. If you take out the arcade monitor then you may as well gut the machine and just use an I-PAC or KeyWiz for the keyboard interface....

This is the exact setup I use and it works fine for me.
I (as well as all my mates) cannot tell the difference between a game running on my mame cab and a dedicated cab.
I must admit though, I am not that pedantic when it comes to these type of things. Some other people on these forums can probabally see alot of differences between the two setups, but I cant, so I would recommend using a PC monitor with a standard PC graphics card. Like microwrx was getting at, it will save you alot of money.
But then again, you have to gut the machine...... tough decision.

Smit

Vicked
6th April 2006, 05:44 PM
My concern with gutting the machine and putting the 21" monitor in is the discharging of the monitors.

Has anyone done this before? I've read about the screwdriver method with the alligator clip. I've also read some people saying - "don't worry, its easy" and others warning about how dangerous it is.

Davefjedi
6th April 2006, 08:48 PM
My concern with gutting the machine and putting the 21" monitor in is the discharging of the monitors.

Has anyone done this before? I've read about the screwdriver method with the alligator clip. I've also read some people saying - "don't worry, its easy" and others warning about how dangerous it is.
i`ll probably get shot for this but i have made a few cabs and never realy bothered with discharging the monitors i just handle them by the mounting brackets and steer well clear of the hi voltage lead and socket but thats just me :tomato

LOTR4U
6th April 2006, 10:09 PM
i`ll probably get shot for this but i have made a few cabs and never realy bothered with discharging the monitors i just handle them by the mounting brackets and steer well clear of the hi voltage lead and socket but thats just me :tomato

****, I gave up on Mame ages ago because I feel I conquered it then moved on BUT **** I gotta post now.

*loud speaker on* DAVE...... This is the saftey POLICE! Please step away from the monitor and come out with your HAAAAANDS UP!

Wowww you got 1 big shlong my friend or no brains. Not sure which?

There is around 30,000 volts running around inside a monitor at any given time. When its powered off, depending on monitor type/age it will drop but can still KILL you! I have been lucky and never got zapped!

Message to Nooobs!

IF YOUR NOT SURE WHAT YOUR DOING! DON'T DO WHAT DANNY DON'T DOES!

If your going to do it anyway I would suggest.

1. Leave the machine turned off over night before attempting to discharge and remove.
2. Earth a looong flat blade screw driver which is approved for large voltage ratings with a rubber handle to the monitors metal chassis.
3. Slide it under the flyback plug and be sure NOT to hold the monitor with the other hand!.
4. You may hear a clicking noise, that is the spark you are making by earthing the tube.
5. Don't discharge it once, hear the zapp then think its all ok COS not so, it can need to be discharge lots of time but normally no more then 2 or 3. Keep on earthing the flyback plug hole on the monitor until no zapps can't be heard.
6. Very carefully sqeeze the back of the flyback plug to unhook it from the tube!
7. Still don't touch the hole on the tube that is then exposed!
8. REMOVE the tube with care!

Shock_And_Awe
6th April 2006, 10:40 PM
$150 for an arcade vga card sounds like good value to me:)

Vicked
6th April 2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks wrx2hot4u, I have seen those instructions before and have the detailed instructions at hand. I'm confident I can handle that.

@Shock_and_awe

It is good value and it is a great card, but I think in the future I will build a custom cab with computer monitor so then the ArcadeVGA becomes redundant. Plus with a computer monitor I have no problems running PC games an other emulated systems (Amiga, Sega etc).

Of course, I will connect my computer monitor to my PC and test out MAME to make sure I'm happy with the quality of the games first, if I don't like it - arcade monitor it is.

Viper
7th April 2006, 10:21 AM
The other advantage of using a PC monitor is if it breaks it's not too expensive to replace. Arcade monitors are fine when they are working and may not necessarily cost much to fix but the stuffing around involved and the cost is still more than getting another 2nd hand 21". My 21" PC monitor I just got off eBay cost me $22 and it works fine. For my cocktail I bought a 15" PC monitor and just recently picked up a job lot of 10 15" Dell monitors for $75 ($7.50 each). Mini cabs here I come.

LOTR4U
7th April 2006, 10:31 AM
If it were me I would go with a Arcade VGA card for sure. Easy as and saves a lot of hassels. My opinion!

The Pinny Parlour
7th April 2006, 12:21 PM
Wish Andy would update it to something a bit more beefier:
# Powerful ATI Radeon 9250 chipset for great performance in 3D games as well as emulation
# 400 Mhz Memory Clock, 240 Mhz core speed.

Vicked
7th April 2006, 03:33 PM
Quick question re: discharging monitor.

I went down to Bunnings to grab a rubber handled screwdriver and all they had were ones with magnetic tips. Would that be OK?

I have the generic screwdriver set at home with the plastic handle, but wanted to grab a rubber handled one.

elvis
7th April 2006, 03:53 PM
If it were me I would go with a Arcade VGA card for sure. Easy as and saves a lot of hassels. My opinion!
I'm not a big fan of the ArcadeVGA. AdvanceMAME is cheaper, and will give you more modelines (ie: so you're not using over or under scanning on a "close enough" modeline).

The ArcadeVGA can't even handle NeoGeo resolutions!

rottenpig
7th April 2006, 04:03 PM
Quick question re: discharging monitor.

I went down to Bunnings to grab a rubber handled screwdriver and all they had were ones with magnetic tips. Would that be OK?

I have the generic screwdriver set at home with the plastic handle, but wanted to grab a rubber handled one.

just use any screwdriver. it's earthed anyway - well make sure it is. i just use an average sized normal plastic handled one. just don't kill yourself.

rottenpig
7th April 2006, 04:05 PM
IF YOUR NOT SURE WHAT YOUR DOING! DON'T DO WHAT DANNY DON'T DOES!

oh, they won't let you have any fun

Arcade King
7th April 2006, 04:32 PM
When I discharge monitors and I've had to do it a fair bit of late I have a thick bit of wire with alligator clips on both end and a big flat head screw driver.
I hook one end of the clip to one of the bolts holding the monitor down and the other to the screw driver. I make double sure I've got a good earth by using a continuity meter. Make sure you touch the metal case of the monitor and the screwdriver with the multi meter to ensure you have perfect ground. Put one hand in your pocket ;) then slide the screwdriver head under the suction cap. I tend to just flick the anode off with the screw driver after touching it the first time. Then I just come back every few minutes and put the screw driver in the hole where the anode was to make sure all the charge is gone.
I've never worried about leaving the monitor off over night myself I find it makes little difference. Some chassis will discharge the monitor themselves others (older ones) wont. Over about the 20 times I've done it only once have I ever got the cracking and sparks.
Takes nerves of steel but the thrill dies out after the first few times.

Vicked
7th April 2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Arcade King.

I have a multimeter, but little experience using it.

Can you tell me how to test if I have a perfect ground using it?

Mickey Juice
7th April 2006, 04:39 PM
Make sure you discharge again before putting the anode cap back on (even if it's been off for ages, the tube can build up a charge on it's own)

Vicked
7th April 2006, 05:23 PM
I just ducked down to Dick Smiths to grab the cable for the earth cable.

They didn't have a huge range, I grabbed some earth wire rated for 240v. I'm not sure if that is enough?

I also grabbed a resistor of 820 ohms, will this help?

Arcade King
7th April 2006, 05:34 PM
all you need to know is here mate :)

http://homearcade.org/BBBB/sb.html

Vicked
7th April 2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks Arcade King. I've done lots of searching but didn't come across that one.

Its answered my questions regarding the cable and the resistor. My only remaining question is, will having a magnetized tip (its coated with something) on the screwdriver make the process not work?

Arcade King
7th April 2006, 07:02 PM
will having a magnetized tip (its coated with something) on the screwdriver make the process not work?

wont make any difference, my screw drivers head is magnetized its fine.

LOTR4U
8th April 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of the ArcadeVGA. AdvanceMAME is cheaper, and will give you more modelines (ie: so you're not using over or under scanning on a "close enough" modeline).

The ArcadeVGA can't even handle NeoGeo resolutions!

I don't think I get what you mean? If your telling me you have problems with Res using a arcade vga that would indicate you don't know how to set it up correctly.
I have used a arcade vga many times and I am a stickler for quality when I play my Neo Geo games and they looked perfect for me. Guess I was just lucky then hey lol :unsure

LOTR4U
8th April 2006, 06:56 PM
just use any screwdriver. it's earthed anyway - well make sure it is. i just use an average sized normal plastic handled one. just don't kill yourself.

Yeah just buy the a screw driver from the $2 dollaaarrr shop and it "should be" fine :rolleyes

LOTR4U
8th April 2006, 07:00 PM
"I've never worried about leaving the monitor off over night myself I find it makes little difference. "

Trav,

You have experience so it doesn't worry you but for someone who has never done it before it can be scary. Turning the machine off and leaving it off over night makes a big difference I reckon. I have discharge so many montiors and the difference between discharging 1min after off compared to 12 hours after off is pretty big. You can even tell by how big a zap is heard.

my thoughts anyways!

Arcade King
8th April 2006, 07:41 PM
"I've never worried about leaving the monitor off over night myself I find it makes little difference. "

Trav,

You have experience so it doesn't worry you but for someone who has never done it before it can be scary. Turning the machine off and leaving it off over night makes a big difference I reckon. I have discharge so many montiors and the difference between discharging 1min after off compared to 12 hours after off is pretty big. You can even tell by how big a zap is heard.

my thoughts anyways!

multiquote

I don't think I get what you mean? If your telling me you have problems with Res using a arcade vga that would indicate you don't know how to set it up correctly.
I have used a arcade vga many times and I am a stickler for quality when I play my Neo Geo games and they looked perfect for me. Guess I was just lucky then hey lol :unsure

its quite

Yeah just buy the a screw driver from the $2 dollaaarrr shop and it "should be" fine :rolleyes

useful http://www.aussiearcade.com/images/steelpurple/misc/mq_img_off.gif <<<<<<<<< Click on that icon on each post you want to quote from then hit quote down the bottom.

Another useful link.
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_monitors.shtml#discharging

Btw your right Ryan about leaving it off over night but only 1 time in about 20 have I ever gotten a charge out of the monitor.
If you are a bit squirmish and doing it for the first time then do indeed leave it off over night.

Vicked
9th April 2006, 01:27 AM
Well.

I decided I was going to rip out my Arcade monitor and put in my 21" PC monitor. However upon testing my PC monitor, I discovered its no longer working :(

So ArcadeVGA and J-Pac here I come. After looking at the work it would be to mount the PC monitor and remove the arcade monitor, I think this will save me alot of hassle.

Arcade King
9th April 2006, 07:53 AM
I think you made the right choice anyway mate. This will give you a more authentic feel to the games.

elvis
9th April 2006, 08:40 AM
Sorry dude, but you're wrong. The ArcadeVGA with standard Windows drivers will not create perfect modelines for NeoGeo output. It's well documented (even by the ArcadeVGA manufacturer). It actually creates different modelines and does a bit of underscanning on MAME's behalf.

Mnid you, to the average layperson it looks "good enough". But perfect it is not. The only way to achieve perfect modelines is via AdvanceMAME with the windows libSDL under Windows, or SDL, SVGALib or FBDev under Linux. With those you can create the exact modelines needed for NeoGeo hardware video output. No other combination of hardware or software will achieve the same exactness. Look hard enough and you can see the imperfections with the naked eye when using an ArcadeVGA.

I could go into the technical nitty gritty but I'm sure it would just bore most folks here. And likewise, AdvanceMAME setup is usually "too hard" for most compared to the plug in and trun on nature of the ArcadeVGA. So it's your choice: hard work and perfection, or easy work and "close enough". But close enough just aint good enough for me.

rottenpig
9th April 2006, 09:45 AM

it'll be fine Mr sarcasm!!!!! :D

Arcade King
9th April 2006, 10:12 AM
I could go into the technical nitty gritty but I'm sure it would just bore most folks here. And likewise, AdvanceMAME setup is usually "too hard" for most compared to the plug in and trun on nature of the ArcadeVGA. So it's your choice: hard work and perfection, or easy work and "close enough". But close enough just aint good enough for me.

Yeah your right wouldnt interest us simple folk here. Where's the moonshine Cletus?

LOTR4U
9th April 2006, 08:57 PM
Sorry dude, but you're wrong. The ArcadeVGA with standard Windows drivers will not create perfect modelines for NeoGeo output. It's well documented (even by the ArcadeVGA manufacturer). It actually creates different modelines and does a bit of underscanning on MAME's behalf.

Mnid you, to the average layperson it looks "good enough". But perfect it is not. The only way to achieve perfect modelines is via AdvanceMAME with the windows libSDL under Windows, or SDL, SVGALib or FBDev under Linux. With those you can create the exact modelines needed for NeoGeo hardware video output. No other combination of hardware or software will achieve the same exactness. Look hard enough and you can see the imperfections with the naked eye when using an ArcadeVGA.

Incorrect! The best way is to use a Neo motherboard and cart :lol as I have said before I couldn't give a rats whats some techy ****er say happens and doesn't happen. I can only go by what my 2 eyes can see, and I have 20/20 vision. :p

elvis
9th April 2006, 09:12 PM
Incorrect! The best way is to use a Neo motherboard and cart :lol as I have said before I couldn't give a rats whats some techy ****er say happens and doesn't happen. I can only go by what my 2 eyes can see, and I have 20/20 vision. :p
I will agree with you on the first part. Original systems will beat emulation forever and a day. I am saddened by the thought that one day all the hardware out there will die. Lets hope it all stays in the hands of the dedicated fixit guys for a long time before the butchers and ham-fisted eBay morons get a hold of it all.

As for your 20/20 vision - optical illusions fool even the perfect eye. Fact: you only actually see 70% of what's infront of you. The other 30% is entirely made up by your brain. This "techy ****er" likes his computational accuracy above and beyond the naked eye. :)

LOTR4U
9th April 2006, 09:17 PM
I will agree with you on the first part. Original systems will beat emulation forever and a day. I am saddened by the thought that one day all the hardware out there will die. Lets hope it all stays in the hands of the dedicated fixit guys for a long time before the butchers and ham-fisted eBay morons get a hold of it all.

As for your 20/20 vision - optical illusions fool even the perfect eye. Fact: you only actually see 70% of what's infront of you. The other 30% is entirely made up by your brain. This "techy ****er" likes his computational accuracy above and beyond the naked eye. :)

lol What the **** for lol? Who cares what you can't see! Even used a camera to take a pic of the monitor? You can see the scan lines but who cares I use my eyes and my penis to play Neo games anyway!

elvis
9th April 2006, 09:30 PM
Side by side an ArcadeVGA and real Neo hardware will look ever so slightly different, as well as the timing will be out (leave them for a few hours and the fault gets bigger and bigger as the error compounds).

Versus AdvanceMAME and SVGALib which are perfect.

But whatever man. If close enough is good enough for you, that's great. Just letting folks know that there's a better and cheaper method out there if they're willing to put the effort in. Use whatever the heck you like! :)

rottenpig
9th April 2006, 09:56 PM

are you calling me a 'butcher, ham fisted moron'? i like to play games and ebay is a great place to buy them, i think the correct terminology would be something like 'arcade collector'. so lets hope that those bastard arcade collectors don't buy any of this stuff to play and have fun with - geez, what are they thinking.

secondly, how do you have better than 70% vision and everyone else is stuck with crap? are you god?

rottenpig
9th April 2006, 10:11 PM

i just thought of a better comeback, and would love to see the reply -

if you are so anal about the picture quality being perfect etc, then why are you constantly pushing those candy cab's from gamedude with their way below average monitors - hell, whenever a game gets a bit dark there's wierd lines running over the screen (very highly visible - a grade one kid would ask you what the hell's wrong with it!). i wasn't very impressed with the picture quality on those machines and i'm very easily impressed - look, a blue car. anyway, just a thought.

as a wise man once put it - check and mate!

The Pinny Parlour
9th April 2006, 11:18 PM
Calm down girls. I hope you all bleed next week you PMSing fools..lol lol :D

Just accept everyone has an opinion and not all are going to agree with you and vice versa. So, move on and get over it. So what if someone doesn't agree with YOU

http://webhollis.com/albums/Funny-Forum/Wahmbulance.jpg

The Pinny Parlour
9th April 2006, 11:26 PM
Time for funny's

http://webhollis.com/albums/Funny-Forum/chill_pill.gif
http://webhollis.com/albums/Funny-Forum/when_do_we_laugh.jpg
http://webhollis.com/albums/Funny-Forum/Want_A_Cookie.jpg

elvis
10th April 2006, 07:22 AM
are you calling me a 'butcher, ham fisted moron'? i like to play games and ebay is a great place to buy them, i think the correct terminology would be something like 'arcade collector'. so lets hope that those bastard arcade collectors don't buy any of this stuff to play and have fun with - geez, what are they thinking.

Chill out bro. I think you misread my post bigtime.

We've been buying boards off eBay by the truckload lately, and I'd say that quite depressingly a good 50% or more have been hacked up and "butchered" by a lot of folks who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Even more show obvious signs of damage from idiots who toss PCBs around like wet newspapers, not caring in the least that they could be damaging a rare piece of equipment.

This board, and more importantly the people on it are certainly NOT what I'd call ham fisted nor butchers. There's a lot of patient and dedicated folks here who take the time and money to repair busted boards carefully and correctly. I *WISH* the rest of the world was like you lot. If it was, we wouldn't see the stupidly high death rate of PCBs that is going on at the moment courtesy of folks who don't give the same "standard of care" to their equipment as you guys. Bravo to all of you for setting a decent standard.

if you are so anal about the picture quality being perfect etc, then why are you constantly pushing those candy cab's from gamedude with their way below average monitors
Eh? For starters, I think there's one or maybe two threads in here about the GameDude candy cabs. I'd hardly call that "pushing". I'd like to think my time spent here was far more constructive and helpful than mere advertising. Secondly I think I've pushed more business here into OzStick's lap than I have back to GameDude. Again, I'm not here for the sales and marketing. I'm here because I like the topic of discussion.

And as far as "below average monitors" go - I'm not sure what you mean. But I'm not going to jump up and down and defend them here. If you want to comment on them, keep this thread on topic, and bag the cabs over in the correct thread where it's on topic. I'll respond to anything you have to say about them there.

I don't know what's going on lately. Every time I open my trap someone gets offended these days. Did I miss the sensitivity training memo or something? Or is everyone around here a buit touchy these days? I thought "Arcade King" was the "call it as I see it" guy who everyone got narky at. :p

Arcade King
10th April 2006, 08:11 AM

We've been buying boards off eBay by the truckload lately, and I'd say that quite depressingly a good 50% or more have been hacked up and "butchered" by a lot of folks who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. Even more show obvious signs of damage from idiots who toss PCBs around like wet newspapers, not caring in the least that they could be damaging a rare piece of equipment.

Yeah by doing so your boss has been pushing PCB prices through the roof. I've seen some insane prices paid for some of those PCB. I'm curious does he intend to resell them back to the public?

I thought "Arcade King" was the "call it as I see it" guy who everyone got narky at. :p

Nope I'm loved here by all my backyarders...I am the king after all. :lol

rottenpig
10th April 2006, 08:19 AM

This board, and more importantly the people on it are certainly NOT what I'd call ham fisted nor butchers. There's a lot of patient and dedicated folks here who take the time and money to repair busted boards carefully and correctly. I *WISH* the rest of the world was like you lot. If it was, we wouldn't see the stupidly high death rate of PCBs that is going on at the moment courtesy of folks who don't give the same "standard of care" to their equipment as you guys. Bravo to all of you for setting a decent standard.

Eh? For starters, I think there's one or maybe two threads in here about the GameDude candy cabs. I'd hardly call that "pushing". I'd like to think my time spent here was far more constructive and helpful than mere advertising. Secondly I think I've pushed more business here into OzStick's lap than I have back to GameDude. Again, I'm not here for the sales and marketing. I'm here because I like the topic of discussion.

And as far as "below average monitors" go - I'm not sure what you mean. But I'm not going to jump up and down and defend them here. If you want to comment on them, keep this thread on topic, and bag the cabs over in the correct thread where it's on topic. I'll respond to anything you have to say about them there.

I don't know what's going on lately. Every time I open my trap someone gets offended these days. Did I miss the sensitivity training memo or something? Or is everyone around here a buit touchy these days? I thought "Arcade King" was the "call it as I see it" guy who everyone got narky at. :p

yeah, you know how it is, got to have a go sometimes. i think most of your posts are pretty helpfull and everything, and i did get that one wrong - i thought you were on lsd or something when i thought you were calling us all butchers! that's all good though. anyways, at least there is a reply!

elvis
10th April 2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah by doing so your boss has been pushing PCB prices through the roof. I've seen some insane prices paid for some of those PCB. I'm curious does he intend to resell them back to the public?
That's still undecided. He's liking his personal collection at the moment, and it might be harder to part with than first expected. :)

Nope I'm loved here by all my backyarders...I am the king after all. :lol
I love ya man! *hugs*

yeah, you know how it is, got to have a go sometimes. i think most of your posts are pretty helpfull and everything, and i did get that one wrong - i thought you were on lsd or something when i thought you were calling us all butchers! that's all good though. anyways, at least there is a reply!
Hey all good. Like I said I love all you guys, and it's great to see folks who love their arcade hardware and treat it right. Whenever I get boards in off eBay that have been hack and smashed by some goose (or some operator who obviously doesn't give a crap about their boards), it really pisses me off. Some people just dno't give a shit about PCBs, and it sucks bigtime.

Arcade King
10th April 2006, 08:40 AM
I love ya man! *hugs*

Fag :p

Viper
10th April 2006, 09:03 AM
lol What the **** for lol? Who cares what you can't see! Even used a camera to take a pic of the monitor? You can see the scan lines but who cares I use my eyes and my penis to play Neo games anyway!
Jeezus Ryan. You're the one who said there is no difference and ArcadeVGA is perfect. He's just defending his opinion that it isn't.

Just because I can't tell the difference in quality between an MP3 and a CD quality track doesn't mean there isn't any, just that my ears don't care. Same deal. Your eyes can't tell the difference and nor do you care but Elvis is just backing up his claim there is a difference.

LOTR4U
10th April 2006, 09:12 AM
Jeezus Ryan. You're the one who said there is no difference and ArcadeVGA is perfect. He's just defending his opinion that it isn't.

Just because I can't tell the difference in quality between an MP3 and a CD quality track doesn't mean there isn't any, just that my ears don't care. Same deal. Your eyes can't tell the difference and nor do you care but Elvis is just backing up his claim there is a difference.

Grrrrr I am not saying that there isn't a difference! I am just saying that I couldn't give a rats if there is because It looks fine to me and I don't run two machines at once so thats not going to be a problem now is it?

Anyway I think this topic has gone far enough off the rails so let just let it go.

Viper
10th April 2006, 09:17 AM
:110:

Vicked
10th April 2006, 11:24 AM
Woah, got a little off-topic here.

I will probably go with the ArcadeVGA for a number of reasons:

1. Easy to setup
2. I want to run Mamewah with avi game previews - can't do this with AdvanceMAME

I doubt my eyes will be able to tell the difference, heck - I think MAME looks good on my LCD at work.

Viper
10th April 2006, 12:11 PM
Good choice and at least you can change back to a PCB if you like as well.

Vicked
10th April 2006, 01:23 PM
I've been doing some reading as to whether I need to make up a MVS-JAMMA fingerboard to connect to the J-Pac.

By comparing my current MVS connector (http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/MV-2FserviceManual.pdf - page 14) to the J-Pac connector (http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac2.html). I think all the important connections match up, it should work by just plugging the J-Pac into my cab.

elvis
10th April 2006, 01:38 PM
Fag :p
Yes, but my choice in shoe wear is fabulous darlings!

:lol

The Pinny Parlour
10th April 2006, 02:18 PM
Yes, but my choice in shoe wear is fabulous darlings!

:lol

:046: :046: :046: :046: :046: