Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinfest 2017

Unfortunately you can't please everyone all the time.

As Marco has pointed out we are given the venue free of charge. And you can't get a better deal than that.

The downside is the provider picks the date and it always falls in the Sept. holidays.

There would be comments if it was on the long weekend or clashed with the Football grand finals.

These I believe also fall on weekends in the holidays it's just luck of the draw.

As Edy pointed out plenty of TVs at the venue.

I am a lifetime motor racing fan myself. Just last weekend a mate of mine won the 6 hour at Bathurst

I will be glued to the TV at Pinfest for the race and updates etc.

In this case we are unfortunately unable to change the date.

It's then or never.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For every person that:

"simply cannot live without being glued to the TV on Bathurst day"

There are 200 that don't give a flying f**k about it.

It evens out.

Just because you don't care doesn't mean it doesn't affect some people who look forward to Pinfest AND Bathurst each year.

I don't sit on the lounge and watch it, I attend Bathurst every year, not just to watch the race but also to visit family.

For me it's a massive disappointment that Pinfest will be on the same weekend as Bathurst. If I was just going to watch on TV I would be able to attend Pinfest on Saturday.

If it clashed with the Football GF's I could choose to go Saturday. Hell the NRL GF is on after closing.

Anyway I understand the constraints on the event, just sucks.

Doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it Homepin.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

This is the classic "too many hobbies" problem. If you're involved in so much it is hard to avoid clashes. That's why I commit to pinball and nothing else. Makes things easy and complements my obsessive personality!

Just because you don't care doesn't mean it doesn't affect some people who look forward to Pinfest AND Bathurst each year.

Doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it Homepin.

I probably have more reason to comment than a lot. Far from "being a dick about it" I was actually heavily involved in motor racing and our team contested Bathurst twice with great success the first time (second in class over the line, 10th outright) and a poor result the second (DNF - engine failure).

I have seen, first hand, how piss weak motor racing has become in Australia and that saddens me. What's even sadder is that many people these days don't even realise how good motor racing used to be in Australia before all of the vested interests hijacked it and created the pathetic excuse we see today which is much the same as (and modeled after) NASCAR.

It's a shame but I'm not hijacking this thread further - if you want to debate Australian motor racing start a new thread and I will happily debate it there...

BACK to Pinfest 2017

You can stay at my place if you like. Anyone is welcome to, I have 3 spare bedrooms blow up mattresses for the lounge room and a caravan. Just let me know.

Your house is 7 minutes closer than mine... plus you have pinball machines ;)

- - - Updated - - -

OK... so I have a question.... Sartana66 asked me to bring along my virtual pinball which I am happy to do if it is still wanted. The question is related to the electrical testing and tagging. The TV's, PC, Speaker etc. are all still in their cases so therefore I haven't earthed anything, it all just plugs into a powerboard and then goes out via an extension lead. Do I need to earth things differently or would that me enough?

Your house is 7 minutes closer than mine... plus you have pinball machines ;)

- - - Updated - - -

OK... so I have a question.... Sartana66 asked me to bring along my virtual pinball which I am happy to do if it is still wanted. The question is related to the electrical testing and tagging. The TV's, PC, Speaker etc. are all still in their cases so therefore I haven't earthed anything, it all just plugs into a powerboard and then goes out via an extension lead. Do I need to earth things differently or would that me enough?

I assume you mean a full sized game and not hose little pocket pinnys you had last year?, which by the way were great fun - great idea.

I helped do a lot of the tagging last year. Not being a licensed electrician, only a "competent person" who has done the course and had access to some borrowed equipment I'm thinking if all the appliances are still in their original housing's they would all be class II and double-insulated. It would be no different to running your home stereo/tv/dvd/ setup at home I would think.

What I would suggest though if its not a commercially made piece of equipment it should at the very least run through a portable in-line RCD. Please don't treat this as gospel as I'd love you to have input from a licensed electrician - anyone here care to chime in?.

Sweet, around October long weekend, sounds good. Plenty of time to get ready for this one.

Also, a big thank you to all you guys no doubt working behind the scenes organizing this. Much appreciated, well by me anyway. Can't speak for everyone else.

Good stuff.:)

Sweet, around October long weekend, sounds good. Plenty of time to get ready for this one.

Also, a big thank you to all you guys no doubt working behind the scenes organizing this. Much appreciated, well by me anyway. Can't speak for everyone else.

Good stuff.:)

Pinfest @ Caves Beach is a great weekend of pinball in an excellent location. It has seen some milestones and now enters its 6th consecutive event.

It's always been run as a non-profit event and the local charities and businesses appreciate the event.

Bearing in mind all the games being played are offered to all and sundry from collectors and distributors like AMD who love the hobby. The event also helps bring other like minded hobbyists to swap ideas, contacts, parts.

All in all, Pinfest is about spreading the love of that little silver ball.

So when does the Hotel usually make a decision? Do they fit you in around actual paying customer's functions? If I wanted a function there in October they'd lock it in so why can't they tell you NOW what the date is? Yes 6 months away but.............

So when does the Hotel usually make a decision? Do they fit you in around actual paying customer's functions? If I wanted a function there in October they'd lock it in so why can't they tell you NOW what the date is? Yes 6 months away but.............

Yes about this time of year....and yes they fit us in around paying customers. The third question would have to become mind reader of Hotel management.

Would be interesting to know exactly how much revenue the hotel brings in because of pinfest (drinks, meals, accommodation) as opposed to having a wedding in the room we use instead. The fish n chips shop up the road makes a killing every year!

The fish and chip up the road appreciates the heads up from @hamo54 every year :) The 1st year I think they thought WTF are all these people coming from - LOL. The hotel does some very nice lunch meals as well. I seem to remember one of the staff saying a couple of years ago that pinfest is one of their best/ if not best weekends for turnover.

The fish and chip up the road appreciates the heads up from @hamo54 every year :) The 1st year I think they thought WTF are all these people coming from - LOL. The hotel does some very nice lunch meals as well. I seem to remember one of the staff saying a couple of years ago that pinfest is one of their best/ if not best weekends for turnover.

I think the first year they ran out of a lot of stock...had to turn people away. The Fish N chips shop I mean....