Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What's the moral position on pokies around here?

maxi

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just asking what the point of the question is? every one knows the money is in the Slots. all that is left is Some people think its moral others think it isnt.

The answer would have been known well before it was asked

You can say everyone knows the money in pokies, but I'm 18 mate. You can imagine, this was my first time ever in a pub other than my own family's one, whose value depends entirely on its atmosphere and food and drink operation. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Honestly, I also couldn't believe it was legal, so the question was asked out of naivety. This place had bought a house next door and turned the whole thing into a gaming lounge, ripped a hole in the middle of it and turned it into a smoking and gambling area.

I guess the point of the question was whether this, in your eyes, was considered normal. I suppose I have my answer.

You can say everyone knows the money in pokies, but I'm 18 mate. You can imagine, this was my first time ever in a pub other than my own family's one, whose value depends entirely on its atmosphere and food and drink operation. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Honestly, I also couldn't believe it was legal, so the question was asked out of naivety. This place had bought a house next door and turned the whole thing into a gaming lounge, ripped a hole in the middle of it and turned it into a smoking and gambling area.

I guess the point of the question was whether this, in your eyes, was considered normal. I suppose I have my answer.

The only thing Money and Morality have in common is they both begin with M.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

yup its easy money, The day 30 pokies went into our local was the day the pub went from a big full bar with live music into a 1/10 full pub with no live music.

And if some one is at the bar they are playing the horses or keno. the bar it self is a depressing quiet place IMO no ones really talking or enjoying them selves, just a bunch of blokes look at screens with the horses blaring. the only place you see more than 20 people is in the pokie room, some one walks out after loosing their cash another one walks in to loose theirs.

The pub Used tobe full to the brim and you couldnt hear your self think from people talking having a great time, now you cant hear your self think from Pokies making noises.

It killed the night life in our town, but the Publican is making the big money for less work. So from that end of it the smart business move.

go test your self, go to every pub you can find, you can walk into the biggest dive, dirty shit hole, Piss smelling pub with no one at the bar with the dirtiest flogged out slapper serving beer out of spit cleaned glasses, and wonder how the hell its even operating, then you walk further in and see the biggest gaming room around and that is your answer.

Its easy money

as for morals, I think you already know the answer, every one has their own opinion on what they find moral, and also know what size that big fat carrot needs tobe for them to go against their morals, that part is only for the individual to know

If I were looking for unanimous approval, I wouldn't have posted on an internet forum.

I got a vote of approval in the first 2 replies. It is interesting to see the discussion continue.

Reminder to keep this civil and objective if possible

Don't worry I'm sure your old man will continue to make millions no matter what the rest of us think about pokies some people love them some hate them my experience working as security at pubs and clubs with them is they destroy lives and before anyone says yeah but that's the fault of the people using them.

Well just think who are they designed to appeal to the poor hoping for that win and when they win they just blow it again, it's an addiction just like any other drug I've seen marriages breakdown I've seen people blow their rent money their entire weeks shopping money.

Oh yeah they are a great idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't like em, the bulk of the pokie revenue comes from poor people who are addicted and can't afford to play them. It's not about entertainment for the majority of players, just look at the expression on their faces when they are playing. Evil stuff.
  • Like 1

Pokies are just one spoke in the wheel of the many things that can be harmful in our society. Where does the blame end? Do we ban pubs because 10% of patrons are alcoholics? Do we close KFC because 10% of customers are obese with dire health problems? Do we ban cars because of pollution and accident fatalities? The list goes on and on. Although I'd personally like to see them phased out - I do wonder what the consequences would be. They couldn't just be banned overnight. The genie is out of the bottle with the gaming industry in Australia and the associated revenue does create a lot of employment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Although I'd personally like to see them phased out - I do wonder what the consequences would be. They couldn't just be banned overnight. The genie is out of the bottle with the gaming industry in Australia and the associated revenue does create a lot of employment.

The genie was quite content inside the bottle for decades…

I hear you though. It is no longer possible to ban poker machines outright because that would send a very large number of businesses broke. And any government that tried to do this regardless would be out of government at the next election.

Unfortunately, some decisions are one-way trap doors. The decision to legalise poker machines was one such trap door. Meaning that Australia as whole is now burdened with dealing with a large number of social welfare basket cases that, otherwise, would not have happened. But I have no doubt that the tax revenues at the time this decision was made were very seductive indeed :(

Michi.

Edited by Michi

Loathe them personally. Throw "skill testers"on the junk heap while we're about it too, imho they're just pokies starters for the juniors.

- - - Updated - - -

Full of empty promises.... but that can also be said of a sited pin that the average joe cant last 15 seconds on. Pinball should be entertaining :)

I have a regular taxi driver, who transports one of my clients, known the guy for 2yrs now. He is addicted to pokies, looses between 400 to 800 a week to them. He will gamble every dollar that he has, and in essence most of his pay is lost to them. We talk about it, I have tried to get him to go to gamblers anonymous, but he wont get help. He estimates that he has lost at least 40k over the last 3 years, maybe more. He wont tell his wife, is often out at nite playing, and also during quiet times during work days. He lives constantly under pressure to find the 20k, that his wife thinks he has saved. She wants it by xmas....so he is hoping for a big win. He has had the odd big win, 5k often gets wins of 500 plus, but he put its all back, looses it that, or the next day.....he knows that there is no getting ahead, the house always win. I dunno how he can live like this, he tells me that he pushes the thoughts away, tomorrow is a new day. He had 2k for plane tickets, go back to pakistan for an important family thing.....but he lost that to pokies. He said to me, how can I stop? I suggested he tell his GP, confess to his wife, or look into his young sons eyes....and say I must do it for his future. He said that he knows its effecting his wife, and child, but just cant stop....he was in tears telling me so.

These pokies, gambling its a drug, just as powerful as any. Infact, winning stimulates the pleasure senses of the brain....winning feels awesome, and the machines not only reward with credits, but also music, graphics, flashing lights etc....all a trick to make the player happy. They are bad things, and society would be better without them.

At some point in time one has to accept responsibility for their own actions and only then can one be helped.

I strongly agree with this, because it is a truism.

If there were no poker machines, there wouldn't be anyone who would have to figure out how to take responsibility for their own actions with respect to those machines. And there wouldn't be anyone who would need help.

Michi.

I have a regular taxi driver, who transports one of my clients, known the guy for 2yrs now. He is addicted to pokies, looses between 400 to 800 a week to them. He will gamble every dollar that he has, and in essence most of his pay is lost to them. We talk about it, I have tried to get him to go to gamblers anonymous, but he wont get help. He estimates that he has lost at least 40k over the last 3 years, maybe more. He wont tell his wife, is often out at nite playing,

Christ. That's no way to live. They are being reduced in numbers, but will probably never be phased out completely. For every three poker machines sold in NSW, one must be forfeited and destroyed, so in the next 6 years they will supposedly be reduced 30% in numbers, but now that licenses are being traded on the free market they are shooting up in value because with every transaction, a poker machine is destroyed and supply is restricted.

As @Ando77 said, the lights bells and sounds are what drew me in when I saw them out in the wild - I honestly think that I would be easily prone to addiction. Now I see how I was predisposed to them too. All those days at galaxy world years ago on the skilltesters and coinpushers that are basically pokies for kids.

Throw "skill testers"on the junk heap while we're about it too, imho they're just pokies starters for the juniors.

Some of them are much worse than that. At least pokies play by the stated rules (even if the target market is incapable of understanding them). Those 'Stacker' games are rigged so that even if you do what's supposedly required to win you still don't get a prize.

Umm, no. The rates of return are set by the house, so in effect the punters have no idea of the pay-out rates or their chances of success.

I don't follow. The rate of return is mandated by law. As far as I know, there is no leeway for house rules of any kind.

Michi.

I'll probably only do this one post in this thread as in general playing a pokie doesn't interest me as you have very little human control on the outcome.

I'll play a pokie when i'm out and have a nice meal and a minor kick along after for maybe $10 but horses for courses I guess.

I'd rather put that $10 into pinball or pool or something that makes you think and enjoy the donation you've just done.

Pokies, I don't get it BUT I have learnt if you want to play a Pokie choose the place you play demographic wise. Afterall a certain percentage of all coin put in has to return to government as tax.

I'll put a pin in the same place as a pin any day.

M2CW.

• Like 1

The law only sets minimum return rates to gamblers. Furthermore, the estimated statistical expectation of the minimum player return is not the chance of success on any spin, but the statistical average of millions of spins.

There is also no requirement for an individual machine to return the expected rate in any given period of play. Individual machines can be set to determine the statistical rate of return.

I don't follow. The rate of return is mandated by law. As far as I know, there is no leeway for house rules of any kind.

Michi.

This is correct. Return rate cannot be lower than 87%. They can be higher but this does not mean that you win more money when you play. It just means that it will return more than 87% of the money gambled over the long term. People often confuse the difference between money in and money gambled. When you win, and you choose to gamble that win, the 87% rule still applies. Of course, if you keep playing, playing and playing, the percentage of the money you put in will tend to zero so you end up with nothing

The percentage return, most importantly, will never be reflected in individual sessions. It takes far more than one year.