Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Fish Tales

Nick64

Question

Anyone had this problem, belt broke on the reel . Replaced with correct belt, switch 35 switch before ball goes into reel , decided to stop working replaced that also . I've had problems with the ball lining up with the reel entry . I can get 2 balls into reel but the third ball won't fire from casters club . The balls inside the reel won't come out , takes ages so the catapult is firing with no ball in it . Got me stuffed why a new belt has caused this , ... cheers nick

23 answers to this question

• Super Moderator
Is the grub screw loose on the bottom 'belt wheel'..? As above, it the wheel slipping - not just the belt, causing the opto's not to line up creating the misfire.? Was very similar to an issue I experienced.

The fishing reel opto's light pass through holes that are not all equally spaced apart so lining up the reel is crucial and in it's correct starting position hence the mention in the above post of the grub screw if the belt is OK. You can see this in the WPC diagnostics on reel test or switch test, you can see if all opto's actually work too once they line up your in the right spot but take the balls out.

Yep putting the belt on was tough going , because i didn't want to touch the wheel with the grub screw . I will take another look at that one thanks guys .

Notice on the outside of the reel there are plastic tabs and there is one a different length. The optos help count the movement and the longer tab on the circumference of the wheel I think is its reference point as to start. A bit like a pulse generator finding Top dead Centre on a car or crank angle sensor.

I've had to replace the bottom optos before.

The switch just before the entry does the counting of balls and triggers the wheel to move by memory. The optos only count its reference point in 360 degrees a lot like the time expander motor disc on the motor in Dr. who.

If the bottom optos are registering properly and the switch is counting every ball entry into the caster wheel I'm lost then.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to test menu and the T.12 reel test. It should keep cycling through its test showing optos open/closed. bottom RH corners it'll show if its picked up any errors in that test.

I fixed one recently with similar issues. In this case, the lower pulley was flogged out. It has a flat on one side to locate on tje shaft. There was just enough movement that the motor would stop, but reel move a little past the correct position amd confuse the machibe. You should be able to feel if there is a bit of play in it when tugging on the reel rubber with the playfield up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll be curious to see what Nick has to report with the T.12 reel test. I know what you mean Rob about the flat on the drive pulley. A bit like that Flintstones disc eh?

Yep, exactly. Luckily the pulley is only a $5 part

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Jeff , reel test shows opto 1 always closed opto 2 goes from closed to open . It says running errors 1 on the reel the 3 pinns are same length . Yes Rob it's weird everything was working well before the belt broke ...

Hi Jeff , reel test shows opto 1 always closed opto 2 goes from closed to open . It says running errors 1 on the reel the 3 pinns are same length . Yes Rob it's weird everything was working well before the belt broke ...
I'm thinking you've disturbed something like a wire soldered onto opto one. These optos use each other to send a digital pulse combination to the MPU to decipher where exactly is the caster in it's 360 degree rotation.

opto 1 should not always be closed.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it show any errors in the bottom RH corner? on the DMD display?

Means its not counting properly. tomorrow put it into switch test mode, lift the PF and gently move the wiring around near the reel while trying to keep an eye on the DMD screen. That hopefully will narrow it down.

Alternatively go to T.12 reel test mode and pause it a bit at a time and do the same wire wriggle test.

• Super Moderator
That's the bit the grub screw screws into.. I simply put an over size grub screw in the existing hole and placed the band over the top of it.. Obviously a bit of a high spot on drfive pulley, but its worked faultlessly ever since.

Well all fixed now when i fed the reel and bracket down through the playfield, i didn't unplug the connector from the board . Resulting in the wires being dislodged from the plug.. cheers for everyone's help ...

Sometimes, it's the simplest things that go wrong. I've done very much the same thing too.

But, look at it this way: if the bloody things didn't break down every few weeks, all you could do is play them. And that would be boring ;)

Michi.

I had exactly the same issue where the balls where not making it into the reel and then doubling up in the wire ball guide which feeds the wheel...

So following the thread I and did the following :

1) Tested the Reel using the T.12 Reel Test ==> All OK

2) Examined the Pulley Wheel (03-8086) under the play field which is attached to the motor

reel.PNG.e075c41ab3d8e758b9c2f3008f8f1547.PNG

I found the flat portion which locks the Pulley in play had worn round

Worn out Pulley

20171109_205459.jpg.cb642efa211964fea4365d957d28b874.jpg

New Pulley ( For Sale @ PSPA for $5.50)

03-8086_1_mop.png.f65c55b925c1eb41d945803f759515b4.png

Replaced the pulley and the Reel was more reliable but still found 50% of the time the ball was not dropping into the reel and was jamming half in the reel.

So I loosened the screw which attached the wire form ball guide (see below) and re-positioned the wire form about 4mm further forward towards the flippers.

Screenshot_20171109-205720.thumb.jpg.5501e6cfbabd6e9c1386596793c9814b.jpg

Problem solved !!

I reckon the misalignment resulted in balls getting jammed and resulted in the pulley wheel wearing the flat portion in the inside of the whole round so the pulley did not turn exactly the correct amount and the problem got worse and worse....

Anyway all sorted now, hope this helps another noob like me in the future and saves then some trouble shooting time.

LAP