Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

"I'm Batman"....well I used to be anyway. Now I'm being rescued from certain doom!

Have started on a full blown restoration of a Data East Batman for a mate that has succumbed to the pinball addiction. I guess this is not a pin which is high on too many people's list. So why bother? Well, we love pins. Living in the sticks up here in central qld we take anything we can get. This machine was listed on a local facebook sell page two hours drive from us. "Batman pinball machine, needs work, price firm $300". My mate asked what I thought. I told him we could do something with it at that price for sure. He was actually second in line but ended up with it. He has been watching me restore my No Fear and asked if I could do the same with this. As I may have a slight obsession with restoring I eagerly volunteered. Gotta rescue as many as I can;).

I may have bitten off a fair chunk to chew on, will take a big effort.

Let's start with the good as the list is small. The backglass is in great shape, one small scratch that I could find. The machine is complete (although most of it is broken).

The not so good; Upon powering up the backglass bulbs light up (some of them), only one GI bulb on the playfield and the phrase "I'm Batman" repeats a few times. No display, no starting a game, no playfield lamps. There is acid damage on the cpu board.

The cabinet appears solid but the artwork is almost non existant, the bottom is sagging and the front has been butchered with a big ugly bracket fixed to it.

The playfield is a disaster. Only pictures can convey my predicament. About time I posted some;

http://i.imgur.com/fEzFq7q.jpg

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/rQREZphh.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/MT1ty9rh.jpg[/img]

Brace yourselves for the following playfield photos.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/oEsCQjah.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/PcMdl4sh.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/EuOezZuh.jpg[/img]

There is also some very much less than desirable repairs for lack of a better word to contend with.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/lVTtGVch.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/x1wAkNMh.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/LgqTx6yh.jpg[/img]

There will be some more images of not good quality workmanship to come, some just downright funny.

It seems a bit daunting. You know what? Hold my Jack's, I reckon I've got this:cool:

Hogan's ghost that is a machine in need of a fuse... looks like a group of echidnas had an orgy on the playfield.

I think you must be some sort of pinball Lazurus, or need to be.

I wish you well on what will be a worthy restore

Hogan's ghost that is a machine in need of a fuse... looks like a group of echidnas had an orgy on the playfield.

I think you must be some sort of pinball Lazurus, or need to be.

I wish you well on what will be a worthy restore

Haha, that's gold. Pretty apt description though

Sent from my SM-N920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I applaud you for taking on this massive task. I have owned two of these machines as it was a game I played so much when it was first released in '91. Unfortunately the playfields on nearly all of these games are shagged, as DE had issues with PF's on this game (and a few others too). My mate @newy16216 is currently restoring one. I wanted to get my PF repaired/touched up and clear coated but no-one would touch it for under $3k. The only thing you can do to that PF is sand it back and put a PF overlay/decal on it and then clear coat it. Well, that's what @newy16216 has done and it has come up pretty good. The topper is hard to come by too. Good luck with the restore and I wish you all the best.

be0936fbe991480da3b2cd2de18386a3.jpg

There is hope for that playfield , but be prepared to drop $$$ into this one , I have a spare nos set of plastics for this if you are interested, If you decide to part this one out I am looking for a few parts to finish mine off haha

Good luck with this mate and if you want any information on the overlay feel free to reach out

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

be0936fbe991480da3b2cd2de18386a3.jpg

There is hope for that playfield , but be prepared to drop $$$ into this one , I have a spare nos set of plastics for this if you are interested, If you decide to part this one out I am looking for a few parts to finish mine off haha

Good luck with this mate and if you want any information on the overlay feel free to reach out

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Am super interested in the plastic set. I did find a set in the states but they want my first born as a down payment! Did you do a complete overlay? Looks terrific! I found a full set of scans on pinside, going to try this but it all depends on how the mylar comes up.

I applaud you for taking on this massive task. I have owned two of these machines as it was a game I played so much when it was first released in '91. Unfortunately the playfields on nearly all of these games are shagged, as DE had issues with PF's on this game (and a few others too). My mate @newy16216 is currently restoring one. I wanted to get my PF repaired/touched up and clear coated but no-one would touch it for under $3k. The only thing you can do to that PF is sand it back and put a PF overlay/decal on it and then clear coat it. Well, that's what @newy16216 has done and it has come up pretty good. The topper is hard to come by too. Good luck with the restore and I wish you all the best.

You are bang on the money, kind sir. Thank you for the heads up.

• 1 month later...

Have been a bit slack with progress updates but things are happening. Might start with some dodgy stuff from the strip down.

The cab floor had a cardboard cylinder mounted. Is this a standard item, never seen it before.

e7a4d00dd488068b004876ecc91f44f9.jpg

This next is a classic. A cardboard box screwed to the base.

1ec07bfce7a8d18724502f49f58e8dbf.jpg

Here is some repairs for lack of a better word on the playfield. Because rubbers are so expensive.

0d93666bda2680042caf49b3e62467d6.jpg2f927fe6c3bebd0c2bec587bea9d14ab.jpg9b5c53086c9e29c9d629e54f48e0328c.jpg

All the boards sent to Ken. Alas the cpu had suffered too much acid damage. The rest were good, great service from Ken.

The cab is pretty much done. Some before shots.

9629f7e57077f624b1191d8b0094207c.jpg

6b8ef45cd5b13cfd2971e44a0c0c5c07.jpg

And how it looks now.

a54eb55bd6ecf4efba125386974d432c.jpg

ff4590a5276ac4599bccbeeca2d4139d.jpg

Took these last shots in a hurry but you get the idea. My mate opted for powdercoat and I talked him into picking up the honey gold colour in the bat sign on the cab. Looks so good. We think so anyway. As we get closer I'll get some better images.

The playfield is a work in progress. Next update should see the work gone into that.

Have been a bit slack with progress updates but things are happening. Might start with some dodgy stuff from the strip down. The cab floor had a cardboard cylinder mounted. Is this a standard item, never seen it before.

I just recently bought a Data East TMNT that has that same cardboard cylinder in the base. I've never seen it before on another pin.

I only just stumbled across your thread.

I am at Moranbah and jumped on it originally :)

Went to look at it right after 5 days x 13hr stint at work and I had a huge shitfull week.

I was however excited and motivated for a project.

was devastated to see the condition, had a decent look, loved the beautiful backglass :cool:.

After a brisk inspection, noted the CPU was shagged, some dodge city repair works + PF had echidna's partying on it, lol

I decided it was to much for me. the hours and rareness of parts and big coin required for a restore.

I considered purchasing to junk the machine just for the BG and parts was probably worth $800 +

Anyway I am so happy that I passed and you got it, and have the balls to take on such an epic project.

So cool to see another Pinball death save ;)

The work you have done so far is nothing short of awesome !

Kudos mate :023:

Looking forward to the updates

Cheers,

Ando

- - - Updated - - -

I just recently bought a Data East TMNT that has that same cardboard cylinder in the base. I've never seen it before on another pin.

Its all about da Bass :cool:

The cardboard box in the Batman certainly was classic :huh: