Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Thinking of buying Adams Family pinball machine...

I haven't read through your thread but I have to say that I am appalled that a 20 year old pinball machine is "worth" $10K - sorry, but not to me it isn't!!!

Your call of course and your dosh.

This one most certainly isn't.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say I am appalled as well, but likely for different reasons..

Let me guess: because someone is considering paying more for a 25-year old machine than a new one?

That does say something about new machines, I admit…

Michi.

I think on today's pin prices a truly mint Adams would be worth 10k, most of the more easily obtainable bw and even data East games in good condition are selling for 4k plus these days. I don't like bagging people's trade me auctions but that particular Adams is very far from being mint, check out the 40mm crack in the playfield just above the mansion, other worn inserts further up the playfield. Yuck.

That's a 6k machine. Buy the game of thrones or just keep looking. Nice one

The seller says it is "mint" yet can't be bothered to fix a couple of lamps? That plus the overheated claims in the spiel would make me run a mile.

But TAF is an incredible machine. I never get tired of mine, and with WOZ it will be the last one out the door. With prices these days on the open market - at least what I've seen lately - the ask here is not completely over the top.

Not knowing the NZ market, I suspect you can probably do a little better for a little less. And if you love TAF, you will not regret having it as your first pinball

Chambo

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• Administrators
Mint on a 25 year old game? :rolleyes

Agree

- - - Updated - - -

mint gets thrown around allot.

And agree again. Almost no such thing as a MINT 25 year old game. MINT is the word sellers often use to draw in a buyer, Once you are there with cash in hand and your hopes up it is hard to walk away without the game.

Ok so after reading every post is a machine worth what the buyer is willing to pay and I ask this as this is often debated and this is the perfect example of such a debate.

Yes, without a doubt - and that same adage applies to ANYTHING.

Car, boat, jetski, aeroplane, pinball machine - they are only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay for them.

Naturally there are many factors that influence a buyer - could be nostalgia, who owned it previously, rarity or even just stupidity of the buyer!

Value of pinball machines when it comes to pricing and advertising in many or some cases can be in the eyes of the beholder, its what they think the value of a machine is worth, if they have spend 200 hours working on it they may see it of higher value, or some may look at the age and say "its in perfect condition for its age". I would agree with Koops I would ask if any AA memebers (that know what they are doing & experience) could have a look for you (maybe some beer involed) or pay a local Pinball tech to do a report for you.

If your paying towards the top-end you want to make sure its in very good shape.

Regarding which you should buy, I would recommend you play as many machines you can find and then buy the one you like the best, if your not sure generally whats good or not then have a look on Pinside for the top 100 machines and look for locations to play them. (on a side note, maybe we should have a top Aussie pinball list too).

You can play a number of games on iPad & tables on Pinball Arcde or Stern PBA to see what they are like and understand the rules but there is nothing like the real thing with some beers and friends.

Hope this helps.

Great advice!

I negotiated several months ago on a nightmare on elm st listed on eBay.

I called out the seller as a scammer and then we went into a negotiation.

In a nutshell I refused to pay more than $3000 as I reckon that's the limit on that title plus I would need to drive to SA from Vic to pickup.

Anyway seller backed out saying she had better offers than mine and had sold it for $5000 to a Freddy collector.

Guess what it is now back on eBay for $7k being sold again by the same seller after she lied flat out to me.

I congratulated her on selling it for $5k and she thanked me and gave me a backstory.

Turns out my instinct was right another eBay scammer skilled at the art of sales techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not skilled if she didn't sell it, only skilled at wasting people's time

Yep.

Skilled at bullshitting. Fairdinkum I just get pissed off with wankers wasting people's time.

I went with a reasonable offer and then got lied to.

As for the Addams family in this thread I wouldn't even bother opening correspondence with the seller cos he's way off the mark. Another scam as it would not of sold at that price.

List it again in 3 months time and crap on about what the last one sold for. ( no it didn't sell ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the listing, there's two bidders that took it up from $6k to $9.5K. When the bidding increments are $50 why on earth would you bid in increments of $500 unless you were asked to by the seller. These two (shill) bidders took it up and the final bidder took the bait:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/arcade-pinball-machines/complete-units/auction-1394526269.htm?archive=1

I know the machine you are talking about.

It was bought by a huge video game re seller very cheap all he did was service it and then asked a stupid amount for it.

I have dealt with him before he is a clown. Wants to but everything cheap but when it comes time to buy off him he wants top dollar

• Administrators
I know the machine you are talking about.

It was bought by a huge video game re seller very cheap all he did was service it and then asked a stupid amount for it.

I have dealt with him before he is a clown. Wants to but everything cheap but when it comes time to buy off him he wants top dollar

Don't most people do that?

Don't most people do that?

Probably, but we all think we're being reasonable. ;-)

In all seriousness though, some people are super relaxed about resale and have more realistic views of what things are worth. Some people are perhaps a little too relaxed. I paid more than a guy was asking for a machine because I felt I'd be ripping him off if I didn't.

• Administrators
Probably, but we all think we're being reasonable. ;-)

In all seriousness though, some people are super relaxed about resale and have more realistic views of what things are worth. Some people are perhaps a little too relaxed. I paid more than a guy was asking for a machine because I felt I'd be ripping him off if I didn't.

That's true but the majority of people these days aren't so honest and just buy to flip.