Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Specific decal type for wooden arcade that it's hard to peel off?

Something that bothers me is the side decals for my arcade. I have restored a fully Daytona USA sitdown arcade and I have create the side logo decals in illustrator (300dpi). I think that Sega didn't use decals but just some kind of paper and glue, that's why it hasn't peel off so many years now. I have the version with the wood side panels and I have cut new mdf panels with my jigsaw. I have painted black the inside just like Sega did. In the outiside of the wood I have painted just primer and no white color. I used a decal from a printing shop just for test but as it seems that it won't hold through the years due to high temperatures 40+ in summer (no direct sunlight).

So is there a specific decal type for the wooden side that it wont peel off? Maybe a decal is not the right solution?

Here is the left side I created in Illustrator in low quality.

Daytona_L_300dpi.thumb.jpg.3c1d00bc4fdb24eb868e849b455c50dc.jpg

Thanks for the answer. Are there different types of vinyl? I mean should I look for a specific vinyl with strong extra glue or just a typical vinyl printed? Also should the vinyl have a clear protection coat for being almost scratch free?

@telonio, preparation is key! MDF sucks up paint like crazy. You will want a good few coats of primer then paint. With fine sanding in between.

Once the surface is sorted though, pretty much any vinyl (being it expensive or cheap), will stick. Although better quality (more expensive) vinyl will be easier to fit, print brighter, be less prone to fading and edge shrinkage.

My recommendation is a good quality "calendared polymeric" with a 5-7 year rating. I would get a matching over-laminate to protect the print also. :)