Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Donkey Kong’s failing liver..

How do people think this stuff up?

Which part, exactly? The bad metaphor?

Second time I've seen that theme covered in the last few days, I wonder why now? Has CRT production *just* stopped somewhere, in some sense, or now stopped completely worldwide? I do find the video pretty sexy though. I did think the silvering left over was a sign of a cheap tube...?

CRT's in the 1800's started with little more than two wires inside a vacuum-sealed glass chamber though. Nothing to do with producing a picture, vacuum experimentation was still all the rage then, and the electromagnetism was still a new experimental subject. After that came the simple projections at the anode end. Those tubes became a curiosity, like a hologram might have been in the 1980's. You put it on the mantelpiece and it probably looked tacky even then :) After that I'm not sure, probably phosphor coatings. There were more than a few steps before Logie-Baird got involved, but most of human invention goes that way :)

• 1 month later...