Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Roman numerals in film copyright

Hmmm, I could have sworn that 1900 was MDCCCC, not MCM. But I can't now find anything online about it, other than it CAN be written that way…

Ah, can't find anything WRITTEN, because everyone has copied everyone else, but an image search tells another story :)

14738805843_2fc4db41e6_b.jpg

Memorial_to_Bishop_Lovett.JPG

http://trinitycollegechapel.com/media/imagestore/gallery-icons/Glaisher.jpg

I was always taught that to use four of the same numeral/character in a row was the incorrect method.

Dunno, but that last pic (in Latin no less!) is from Trinity College, which is Oxford isn't it? If even THEY don't know, what chance have WE got :D

I was always taught that to use four of the same numeral/character in a row was the incorrect method.
+2.

And I'm that old I can verify using those numerals at school.

By memory it works out that this year, 2017 is MMXVII.

One of my first assignments back in around 1991 or so when I was doing computer science was writing a program to convert from Decimal to Roman Numerals and vice versa - it's a fair bit more involved than you might think.

Converting back from Roman Numerals and making sure it was a valid RN to start with (e.g. VIIII would be flagged as wrong) was a fair bit harder than you might think. We were given the rules for how Roman Numerals were written - but this was pre-internet days and no idea where this information came from. Interestingly, Wikipedia doesn't say all that much about them and the rules, and I'm not bored enough to research it further tonight.

Anyway, this topic just took me down memory lane so thanks :)

Those crazy Romans.

Points of classical scholarship are revised from time to time, but we might also be looking at late-Latin usages here: Merovingian, Carolingian, etc right through to the middle ages. It's all still Latin, if not the same Latin that was used before the time of the Caesars.