Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Getaway Tacho Mod

After restoring my Getaway I started looking for ideas for mods. I had already done the Basic Decals for U-Turn, Donut Haven, Traffic Light targets and Gauges and saw this guy on you tube doing a Tacho Mod.

He has about 6 hours of videos on line for it, I did not sit through all of them but got the basic principal and designed my own using less components and a smaller PCB.

Below are a few pictures of the result and a you tube video of it working.

The hardest thing for me is programming the PIC in assembler to reliably detect the lamps that are lit. Since they are in a matrix they are not continuously on but are pulsed so you cant just check which ones are on at any given time because they may appear lit but the pulse is gone, basically a lit lamp gets a 2ms pulse every 16ms. The PIC code has to compensate for that.

The tacho I used I purchased at a Repco store, its the only one they had, it can be set to 1 of 7 colours or cycle through the colours slowly. The bezel can be black or chrome.

I think I would prefer a tacho with a needle but it was fine to experiment with.

IMG_3068.thumb.jpg.65162717629a1809549a889f5b99f913.jpgIMG_3074.thumb.jpg.5ac65fb03afd907b2b4b7eeb947083de.jpgIMG_3075.thumb.jpg.d68182610b94d4d158b69ade85d574bd.jpg

I recon if you use an arduino and tie it into the rpm lights you could simplify it a bit, and make it removable quite easily.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It is tied into the RPM lights.

Pic , arduino same thing both Micro Controllers, both would have same issue with lamp matrix.

Used Arduino(AtMega 328) and other Pics before for other mods.

This unplugs and is removable.

Cool!

- - - Updated - - -

It is tied into the RPM lights.

Pic , arduino same thing both Micro Controllers, both would have same issue with lamp matrix.

Used Arduino(AtMega 328) and other Pics before for other mods.

This unplugs and is removable.

I'm not very good with this stuff. Please give us more info how to use one of those Arduinos.

I'm not very good with this stuff. Please give us more info how to use one of those Arduinos.

Maybe this link will give you an idea.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction

I have used the arduino board to develop other designs(not this one) and then created a custom PCB using the Microcontroller itself it, not the full Aurdino pcb. MCU=$5 Audino =??

The custom board below was developed using the Aurdino platform but as you can see its just using the MCU off the ardino, not the audino itself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]111459[/ATTACH]

IMG_2238.thumb.jpg.c6a167827ad7132f52de85f52a063179.jpg

• 1 month later...

I actually watched 9/10ths of the video described at the start. 6 vids an hour each, or something like that. It may be worth your time to watch all of this documentary as I recall most of your issues being addressed in it, and justification for certain levels of complexity. To achieve the tight result that he has with this mod requires some kit, but I think if something is worth doing it is worth doing properly. I have "The Getaway" myself and would consider doing it, but I would want it to be in tune with the game and representative of the playfield tacho and shift light.... great mod he has developed there. Try giving it a watch through, an hour at a time. I think it will help you solve some stuff, however much of it you choose to adopt. :023:

*His method for detecting Lit rpm lamps is very interesting, and seems quite reliable and tweakable. Also I rekon the analog tacho is a must, for the visual and motion effect :cool: