Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PC in a case or out

I have just started building my PC for my new cabinet and my original plan was to build the PC and mount everything to a piece of MDF so that there would be better air flow though the PC and if my skills worked out was going to put it on draw rollers and have a door at the back so it would come out so if I had to do work on it then it should be easier. But I have started rethinking things as you start to realise how many cables are running everywhere and yes I can zip tie them and strap them down but was thinking it just might be better to place it in a PC case.

So my question is what do most people do have the PC in a PC case or have it mounted inside the cabinet open so they can see and work on the pc if needed.

Don't do it - a case is the best AND easiest way to support that nice big video card you no doubt have plugged in to the motherboard.

As far as heat build up is concerned, if you have a couple of fans in the bottom panel near the front of the cab drawing air IN and a couple more in the rear panel exhausting air OUT then you should get nice air flow. Considering the number of fans in your PC case as well you should be able to keep temps down pretty well. Trust me, I've done a LOT of testing in that area!

In case is easier and more convenient. My PC sits on a sliding draw in the back of the cab. It lies on its side with the side panel (now on top) removed. 2 x 12cm fans in the rear and two in the front bottom draw plenty of air to keep it cool. Keeping the case means everything inside it is secured properly. Removing a pc from a case means you have to then hard mount each component somewhere which is harder than just mounting the one case.

The graphics card was one of my concerns as well because there was a bit of movement on it so was going to have to rig something up to hold it anyway. It looks like I will gut one of my old PCs in the shed tommorow and stick it all in and see what I think from there.

Thanks for the feedback.

A compromise and it depends on the case - have an open.

By that I mean the back plane and side is separated (or separable) Like an L shape. Unfortunately most cases are riveted and when you take them out it doesnt quite work. I have such a case ready - looks awesome and will vent well.