Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New Gold Coast Pinball Location - The Pinball Grotto

I've gone mad and done it. I've bought too many machines for the house, so have to find somewhere else to keep some. I've rented a "factory shed" and getting it fitted out for a little pinball comp place. It'll start out a little basic, but hope to cover costs and build it up.

The address is Unit 8, 17a Ern Harley Drive, Burleigh Heads. It used to be used by Burleigh Brewing for their monthly parties.

Plan at this stage is to open it Friday nights and Saturday afternoons only. Fridays will be comp nights, Saturday will be open lunch/afternoon for parents and kids to come along and play. Covercharge for parents, each accompanying child will be free, for a few hours with the machines on free play. I may most likely host a fun kids/parents comp afternoon on some saturdays as well. Fridays will be IFPA comp nights of varying formats.

As others know, it's not that cheap to do, so hope comp fees cover the costs. Will try and sell some snacks, byo booze for comps as a friendly thing at the moment, not sure I can qualify it for a liquor licence facility. I admire what Corey/Jimmy and the others have done, but won't be on that scale. I'll try and keep it comfortable and friendly, and a place to hang out on a weekend if I get in trouble with Greta! Plan on having 10 machines in there intially, and build from there (still need some at home to play)!

Nice one mate. Hope it all works out for you. A great venue for all especially the local guys. I think your an asset to the sport and I'm sure that everyone will definitely be grateful for all your efforts. I'll be sure to make a special visit with my girls especially since you make such an effort to introduce the young kids and expose them to the wonderful world of pinball. I take my hat off to you mate. Well Done and keep up the great work [emoji471]

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Congrats John, that is fantastic! Hope it goes well for you, and i think one of the biggest things will be making sure that other members spread the word and support the venture. None of this is cheap to do, and can burn a heap of time with upkeep and repairs, so hopefully people appreciate the effort and show their support.

Awesome news. If you need in helping with shifting games or setting up let me know. Hmmm now how to break it to the wife that friday nights are booked out for the foreseeable future....

The kids sessions will be a hit. Might have to start babysitting my nephews on Saturday afternoons. [emoji847]

Interesting. You should consider the machines will be played more which means more maintenance. So a cover charge needs to cover that. Then you can work out the cost. Good idea as well. I'll have to check it out. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Moved 10 machines into the new Grotto yesterday and christened the place with a few games and an ale. Starting to take shape. d47a0547d928d40681e404e0061c6789.jpg44b2ba3a723711b53b42d071eca227de.jpg

Looking good mate. Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...

Had some interstate visitors to the Grotto last night and a little 10 player informal comp. thanks to Ryan and Paul for making the visit. Looking forward to the first real comp on Saturday! 6eca3c296d627e49e836c8e72f12c5cc.jpgf7ef5d2dcd4aa37484fe16f04cb67871.jpg

Thanks John had a great night and really appreciated the lift out and your hospitality . First time I have been to a meet and met pinheads and I must say what a great bunch of people , I ejoyed myself immensely. Machines were great and recommend to get out there and pour some coins in. Thanks for the ride home Ryan

Thanks John had a great night and really appreciated the lift out and your hospitality . First time I have been to a meet and met pinheads and I must say what a great bunch of people , I ejoyed myself immensely. Machines were great and recommend to get out there and pour some coins in. Thanks for the ride home Ryan

does that mean we'll be seeing you on Saturday for the comp ?

• 1 month later...

Quick update - had our first "corporate" event with the Grotto being hired out for a challenge between 2 local hospitals. Chose a flip frenzy format so no one had to wait around for a game for long. Bearing in mind half the people had NEVER played pinball before, it was a huge success. Everyone had a ball, 16-19 games per player for the 3 hours and apart from some accidental 4 player games at the start everyone caught on in the first half an hour. 32 players for the night.

Big thanks to @acejas for the score keeping - couldn't do it without you. Funny watching first timers competing - leaning on each other's machines to watch and learn.

They want to do it again in a couple of months, so hoping to get some new addicts into the fold.

a938dc608ce40943e28f3fad10ca6943.jpg

8d326d0fc464f1556d9881dc0d681131.jpg

a14115274ca0048d2542afebc2b2cd2f.jpg

It was a real eye opener that some of the participants had NEVER seen or let alone played pinball! I enjoyed (read - had a laugh) alot of the newbie questions. John and I were quizzing ourselves about a score - 10 losses and no wins hmmm...then shortly after she told us she hadnt won a game LOL...she came thru and won 2!

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update for the Grotto Folk - I've added air conditioning today so no more shirts-off-sweaty playing (Ollie)!

A reminder Matchplay comp on this Sunday starting at 11 - warm-up at 10 onwards.

Hope to see you then and bring some friends.

Just an update for the Grotto Folk - I've added air conditioning today so no more shirts-off-sweaty playing (Ollie)!

A reminder Matchplay comp on this Sunday starting at 11 - warm-up at 10 onwards.

Hope to see you then and bring some friends.

Just wish it wasn't so far John. Kudos for what you have put together up there for the masses. Glad to hear it is bringing in new people to our love of the silverball.