Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

FirePower not Firing :( - Fixed :)

DKong

Question

Ok Had this game for a long time and Ken has helped me out on the MPU board in the past with the 40 pin connector and has been working fine for years thanks mate :) the odd issue fixed with the sound board and a flaky display.

So a few weeks ago it would not start just general GI, some inserts most off and no displays, so thinking it was the power supply replaced the Display high voltage caps, still the same :(

Most times the two CPU board LED's stay on when I power it, but if I try the on off I get 1 then sometimes none. Sometimes I get the Firepower sounds but thats about it but never any displays.

I have pulled the the CPU and MPU boards reflowed the solder and cleaned the edge connectors and now stumped??

Should I buy a new PSU or is it in a different area I should be looking.

My vote is with Dave (@Firepower) .. based on this comment you made.

I had bizzare faults with my Firepower until both male and female 40 pin interconnects were replaced and its been rock solid since (well .. except for a bizarre sound problem now and then)

Hey, I'm just happy he got the God damm thing working. This has been an ongoing drama for DKong for way to long.

The unscrewing the middle bolts has more to do with the angle the male pins are soldered to the board.

I suspect when the middle of the boards are screwed in, it CAN force the male pins away from the female contact points which is totally dependent on the angle the male pins were soldered to the board.

Maybe soldering them to the board on a slight angle would solve this problem and then it wouldn't matter having the center bolts in. Who knows.

Leaving out the middle bolts will allow the two board to flex as one and therefore maintaining the contact.