Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Transistor replacement on LOTR Board

aprilia112

Question

Hi everyone,

I need to replace the q14 transistor on my LOTR board.

I have the replacement and the board out but not confident in doing myself......

Is there anyone in Sydney that is experienced enough to do it for me?

Happy to pay for your services......

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Hi everyone,

I have the replacement and the board out but not confident in doing myself......

Thanks

Hey! whats the q14 transistor number on the component I.e (tip102) or which board are you looking at CPU, Driver sol board, sound board?? more details please.

These are not that hard to replace with basic soldering skills. Start by flexing the top a few times backwards and forwards and you will find the black top bit snaps off, leaving the 3 legs there. Then heat the solder up around the legs (sometimes adding a small amount of new solder helps), and with a pair of long nose pliers, GENTLY pull the leg out once the solder is molten. Do the same for each of the the 3 legs, then suck the holes out with a solder sucker. Again, do not force the legs out, they should come quite freely once the solder is molten.

Then you should have 3 clean holes, put the new one in, and resolder. If you need soldering practice, maybe pull an old board out of something that is being thrown out?

These are not that hard to replace with basic soldering skills. Start by flexing the top a few times backwards and forwards and you will find the black top bit snaps off, leaving the 3 legs there. Then heat the solder up around the legs (sometimes adding a small amount of new solder helps), and with a pair of long nose pliers, GENTLY pull the leg out once the solder is molten. Do the same for each of the the 3 legs, then suck the holes out with a solder sucker. Again, do not force the legs out, they should come quite freely once the solder is molten.

Then you should have 3 clean holes, put the new one in, and resolder. If you need soldering practice, maybe pull an old board out of something that is being thrown out?

Spot on.

You word things so well Rob:)

Hi everyone,

Thanks

I have recently had to change 4 transitors on a board for the first time after watching @Rawdon replace one for me on a T2 we bought from him....

I am no expert but have all the tools including a desoldering station which makes the job even easier than described by @robm... I am in Sydney and would gladly do it or show you how it's done so you are good for next time... pm me if you are interested.

JasonJoe

Removing the old transistor can be a little fiddly using a wick or manual solder sucker but is a breeze using a proper desoldering tool.

Yesterday I replaced a transistor on one of my machines and video'ed the the removal of the old transistor using the Desoldering Station to show you how easy it is.

Took 5 minutes total to remove the 2 transistors and leave the undamaged board with the holes clean and ready for new components to be soldered in place.

[video=youtube_share;zIa-wSZyzoo]

FYI the Desoldering Station is one I recently bought from Rhino tools which is not the most solid tool you will buy but for just under $200 and the number of times I used it it does the job and every time I remove a component I think how worth it it was to buy....