Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Video: Sega Blast Restoration

Hey guys,

I've posted the first part of my Sega Blast restoration on my youtube channel.

This first episode focusses on getting the cabinet apart. The next will be on the wiring but may be several weeks from now as I'll be uploading some other content in between. Anyway, I hope this helps someone who may be considering doing the same.

Cheers!

Awesome mate keep the vids coming.

Not sure if i misunderstood but did you need the bolts which bolt the steel control panel to the control panel frame?

There are some here. 6 quantity for 6usd delivered to aus

http://www.hklegend.com.hk/?page_no=3&lang=0&show_case=

These ones fit astro city. I believe the blast use the same size bolts (double check your astro in case im wrong). Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you run out of local 2 player control panel options there is repro stuff from here:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34712&p=464198#p464198

This video might be useful

I would like to do a Naomi Cabinet restore

I have taken off the upper part of the control panel and associated screws and bolts

Next thing to do is find an electroplating place in Sydney to take the rust off and then i have to figure out what to do with the metal sheet and look into painting or trying to restore the control panel

Anyone interested in this or has advice let me know

Awesome mate keep the vids coming.

Not sure if i misunderstood but did you need the bolts which bolt the steel control panel to the control panel frame?

There are some here. 6 quantity for 6usd delivered to aus

http://www.hklegend.com.hk/?page_no=3&lang=0&show_case=

These ones fit astro city. I believe the blast use the same size bolts (double check your astro in case im wrong). Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you run out of local 2 player control panel options there is repro stuff from here:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34712&p=464198#p464198

Great links and assistance mrjamma - thanks!! :)

Bud out? not get involved?! In what exactly dragonlee ? In offering a couple of links for parts which might be useful in the event he gets stuck?

Also had you ACTUALLY read the above post from me it clearly says "if you run out of local options", which preferences local sellers.. does it not?

Im pretty sure its a free forum and offering someone a couple of links in the event they get stuck with local sellers isnt a problem. Perhaps admins can clarify...

If you have parts to help him out at better prices, then post it to him or pm him, and BUD out of my post

Edited by mrjamma

Bud out? not get involved?! In what exactly @dragonlee ? In offering a couple of links for parts which might be useful in the event he gets stuck?

Also had you ACTUALLY read the above post from me it CLEARLY says "if you run out of local options", which preferences local sellers.. does it not?

Im pretty sure its a free forum and offering someone a couple of links in the event they get stuck with local sellers isnt a problem. Perhaps admins can clarify...

If you have parts to help him out at better prices, then post it to him or pm him, and BUD out of my post which may actually offer help.

You don't know the full story behind it...rest my case as is...

People buy arcade machine very cheap and they don't realize the cost afterwards for parts to complete there project..

Its a free forum ..Nothing wrong with you post on links of getting the parts you need..

I won't offer anything if isn't going to pay my prices too @mrjamma.

@dragonlee @mrjamma - Not sure what's going on here! But from my perspective I'm thankful if people share all sources of parts that may help me or others. I'll always look to support Aussie Arcade sponsors first and foremost if parts are offered! So thanks again Anthony.

I've already purchased heaps from AA sponsors including Jomac services, a couple of pi's from Dylan, a marquee from Hermit, konomi converter from gamedude, transport services from prowler and many controller parts from In2Amusements and Austin Amusements plus a neo geo control panel from you Dragonlee and I haven't been actively on AA very long!!

I also have three parts wanted ads up on AA for a Sega Blast Blue marquee insert, Taito Defender Control Panel and a Missile Command PCB but have not received any responses as yet. I've since sourced the PCB from KLOV as I got no response here as I gather they are not as readily available in Australia (I'll update the wanted thread now...).

I agree with your point Dragonlee that a lot of people buy cheap machines and don't know how much it costs to get them up to scratch but not sure why that relates to this discussion? I clearly have missed something but if you don't explain "the full story behind it" then how are we to know what you are talking about! :)

Either way I am thankful to you both for sharing your views and I'm appreciative to Dragonlee for offering parts to the AA community.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@xzotic I'm so glad I came across your post here, I was going to send a thank you note to your Youtube channel.

I watched your Blast City dissemble video literally 12 hours before driving up to a local arcade to pick up my Blast City (first ever cab I've ever owned). As exciting as it sounded, the fun factor went way down when I was trying to hull the thing by myself to my second floor apartment in a building with no elevators.

Thanks to you I swiftly separated the CP and the monitor from the body, hence allowing this to happen:

IMG_20170224_014218.thumb.jpg.8fb33bd052581db86d29c34faf586ddf.jpg

Absolutely not an inch more to spare.

And now I have a Blast City to restore. Surely I will have many more questions for you in my restoration post. Thanks again sir.

@namstephan That is some feat! How did you manage to move it upstairs by yourself?

My naomi is exactly the same width (76cm) and the door width for the house is 76cm, so it would get through by a scratch of paint, unless the door was removed, it was a millimeter perfect move!

@namstephan That is some feat! How did you manage to move it upstairs by yourself?

My naomi is exactly the same width (76cm) and the door width for the house is 76cm, so it would get through by a scratch of paint, unless the door was removed, it was a millimeter perfect move!

@garryi

Once the monitor was off the body, it made it *just* possible for me to first pull the body up the stairs (me backing up the stairs while pulling the blast city by the rear handles) which are thankfully carpeted, so I could safely alleviate some of the pressure onto the stairs themselves as we slowly rolled up.

As for the monitor + chassis, I just took a deep breath and powered through.. it's a miracle I didn't bend my back badly but regardless, both my arms were sore the entire next day.

The Blast City's width measures at 76cm as well, which supposedly fits my door frame with some contact, however the door not being able to fully open posed a problem for face-first entry. I had to remove the CP and even then, I'm sure I only shaved 1cm off by going in side-first.

Lesson learned: Always bring a friend even if it's not a woody cab.