Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Star wars the next Stern Table?

Sbaird

The same system was at least 8 years old when spike came along. And I doubt you're porting anything from Sam because the changing of the board system to nodes, losing all the separate board and combining them into one would make things just crazy to leave Sam as the base code. As was said before it'd be quicker and easier to build spike from the ground up without porting anything from SAM. Yeah there are things still there from Sam layout wise but I'm guessing they kept that for familiarity rather than anything else. JJPs menu system I pretty legit though I must give credit there. The move to spike and then spike 2 must've been hard because look at where B66 is code wise well behind Aerosmith and I'm sorry Lonnie but Lyman dumps all over you code wise there is no chance he wasn't smashing out spike code rather than B66 code even with a bump in time table because of Adam Wests deteriorating health.

Ps looking forward to playing some Star Wars premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't stern be reusing some sort of standard spike code API/frame work?

Are these coders everyone mentions actually doing real code or just rulesets?

It seems as if everyone speculates that there is just one guy doing rulesets, architecture and framework code.

It just seems, well, really bloody inefficient.

Surely it would be better to outsource all the backend stuff and have the actual gameplay designers using tool sets that allow them to do the code generation ahla nifi flows sort of thing.

Pinball code is just one big IF statement updating a state table right? [emoji23]

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He actually is nice to be around, but then most salesmen are. Just dont get on the back of a Harley with him.... Think he nearly got bowled over leaving Rotordaves place that night.

Leaving Willie's place heading to Yee's. Silly bugger rode off without looking straight in front of an oncoming car. A very close call

Another missed opportunity...

Luke vs Vader multiball

Using the RBG's, half the pf lights up red, the other half green. There's a time limit where you have to hit roving targets with your multiballs. If you don't hit, the red rgbs move across the pf making the green rgb part of the pf less and red more. If you make your shots it goes the other way (more green rgbs less red).

If you get all your shots and win (green fully overtakes red), You get a massive bonus and it shows vader losing scene, then possibly cuts to vaders face/mask off scene on the dmd. Your balls either drain (end of mode) or you keep playing your mb for extra bonus??

If you don't get your shots in the alotted time and the red rgbs make it across the pf. DMD shows Vader cutting off Lukes right hand, then skips to "I am your father", then cuts (pardon the pun) to Luke saying "NOOOOOooooooo". Then your right flipper cuts out, and the dmd shows the 'luke repairing his hand' scene with a progress bar underneath it.

You then have to keep your mb going with your left flipper only, while simultaneously tapping the lock down bar button (tie fighter style) to repair your hand on the dmd (shown on the progress bar!!). If you make it without draining your mb, the right flipper clicks (like adams family) and you get your right flipper back and get a Smaller bonus than the defeating Vader bonus.

Your ball again either drains (end of mode) or you keep playing your mb for extra bonus??

Could this and the video scenes be added in a future update? Should I email them??

Shouldn't stern be reusing some sort of standard spike code API/frame work?

Are these coders everyone mentions actually doing real code or just rulesets?

It seems as if everyone speculates that there is just one guy doing rulesets, architecture and framework code.

It just seems, well, really bloody inefficient.

Surely it would be better to outsource all the backend stuff and have the actual gameplay designers using tool sets that allow them to do the code generation ahla nifi flows sort of thing.

Pinball code is just one big IF statement updating a state table right? [emoji23]

100% they'd be using a dev kit to code the games with the base bring the same I was more talking the difference between Sam, spike and spike 2 not being able to use the base system between the lot.

I'm thinking your IF statement is true and you've got to remember one IF in the wrong place can stuff up a lot of things. There'd be a lead game designer and I'm guessing one or two helpers.

Star Wars - Dwight

Aerosmith - Lonnie

B66 - Lyman

GB - Dwight

GoT - Dwight

Kiss - Lonnie

Wwe - Lonnie?

Twd - Lyman

Mustang - Lonnie

Star Trek- Dwight

Metallica- Lyman

Avengers - ?

Xmen - Lonnie/Waison

AC/DC - Lyman

So my theory kind of works where you see the gap between TWD and B66 for Lyman for spike prep and that the main programmer had 2 games on the go at once. One at a more complete stage and the other at a new stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All they need to do is update the code to start multiball if you break the tie fighter on the playfield... Looks like it will be quite effective! Digital and real tie fighter destruction, thats innovation baby :P

AAers premium Le manual is up. From I can see there isn't anything on the Premiums LEs in the manual that we haven't been over, however behind the backbox looks like 4 lock balls for the Hyperloop.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/star/premium/StarWars_LE_Pre_web.pdf

Pins with broken Tie fighters.

829d10b3e8953defc726924d40462aec.jpg

- Con

Problem solved. Mods available. And they aint breaking!

gaz.thumb.jpg.5339bd912cc62d47ca367a16378dd942.jpg

The thing is with all the X inserts in the playfield, I cant see the code being that much different.. Meh I had the same complaints about ACDC being too hard for people to understand, but not many people had issues with that.

The difference with AC/DC, is the BASIC rules are pretty straight forward.

If you hit a ramp, the DMD says "7 more ramps for Jam multiball!!"

Hit some drops, "6 more drop Banks for Album!"

That is totally accessible for a newby, or a casual player.

The massive Album and Tour jackpots are cream on the top, for the advanced player.

Metallica is the same. Bash Sparky for a multiball. Anyone can figure that out in 1 game. However the advanced player can work towards some Crank it ups and take it to the next level.

That's the genius of Lyman Sheats.

HOWEVER GOT and SW are not programmed this way. That's why GOT is a flop sales wise, nobody knows how to play the thing. If you have one in your house, like me, and you make the effort, no sweat. But this new way of coding isn't good for pinball, IMO.

That's where WOZ and Hobbit fall down too. Like most Keith Johnson games, they are not intuitive. You need to read a manual to play the things.

Josh Sharpe has been big on this for years. Location pinball will die a slow death with games like SW, GOT and the JJP games. They are just too complicated for the average person.

rd

HOWEVER GOT and SW are not programmed this way. That's why GOT is a flop sales wise, nobody knows how to play the thing. […]

That's where WOZ and Hobbit fall down too. Like most Keith Johnson games, they are not intuitive. You need to read a manual to play the things.

Josh Sharpe has been big on this for years. Location pinball will die a slow death with games like SW, GOT and the JJP games. They are just too complicated for the average person.

I agree. If the only way to get a high score on GoT is for me to study a rule sheet, I am much less interested. Even more so if, after extended periods of playing, the rules don't become obvious through experience. I can play 100 games of GoT and still have little idea of what does what and why, even if I'm observant.

SW has that same problem with the shot multiplier. As far as I can tell, there is nowhere on the game that would tell me how that works. And it certainly isn't obvious from just playing. Same with the add-a-ball feature. How on earth am I supposed to know that holding down the button for two seconds during multi-ball adds another ball, but only if the button is flashing orange?

People who write code like that are clueless about human interface design, affordances, and cognition. A good game is self-explanatory. If it's done well, I can stand there, read the instruction card and study the play field and, from that alone, have a fairly good idea of the major features of the game. The more advanced features should make themselves known during game play, with callouts telling me what to do, the DMD or LCD dropping hints, the playfield illumination guiding me, etc. In essence, after playing long enough and observing, I should be able to learn every feature of the game without having to read a rule sheet. That's how good games work. Addam's Family, Fish Tales, Getaway, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

The latest crop of Stern games deeply violate these ideas. They've become pinball machines for nerds.

Michi.

Edited by Michi

People who write code like that are clueless about human interface design, affordances, and cognition.

After meeting Dwight I reckon his personality shows that he is clueless about humans full stop ;)

Maybe it was because I was drunk....

Haha you as lost didn't get along with John Tradue but that was also because you where drunk

Haha thats true but I talk to him a bit on Facebook and he is a cool guy and very chatty / funny.

Dwight on the other hand comes across completely different. Vague, cold and indifferent. A little like his code :P

Just read the v.85 game code file and noticed this line:

Tweaked:

- Added red general illumination to the tie fighter toy explosion effect.

Do you think this went off when the above happened? :lol

Oh my, that's a great pickup really long name person you :o

That's how the Tie fight comes from the factory, you need to put it together before you play it.

- Con