Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

HELP: Conecting wires to USB Cable

Douek

Question

Hi guys. I hope someone can help me here. Please forgive me if this is not the best place for my question.

I have a pretty old arcade controller at home. I think it is made for Ps2. It has a 2nd conector that I don't even know for which console was made.

I would like to keep the Ps2 conector and replace the other one for a USB.

I need help to connect the wires properly.

My USB cable has the regular Red, Green, Black and White wires. I want to connect it to this part bellow. How should I do the wiring? Can anyone help me please?

http://www.kavodlending.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/wires.png

11 answers to this question

If i'm understanding your post correctly you want to connect

USB cable -> Arcade Controller .

you are going to need some sort of encoder between the USB connector and the arcade controller to convert your button presses into something that the device on the other end of the USB connector can understand.

ie USB cable -> encoder -> arcade controller.

Thx for helping me.

Honestly I have no knowledge to answer your question.

Let me try to further explain so you can check if you got it right.

This is the board inside my arcade cabinet:

08ac85cd7af3f54ddad06b1e91e8aa9e.jpg

4cf3e89b4afc52c5f0e0db11b57deda7.jpg

As you can see, the conector in the 1st message of this topic plugs to this board.

I need to connect this plug to my USB cable so I can use my controller via USB on my Raspberry Pi3:

640c40cc45d558135a8f70416d1e8f96.jpg

Do I really need a encoder as you mention?

You probably do, yes. 8 wires is not USB, and those other wires will be used for something. You will need to turn the signals & voltages from the 8 wires into different signals & voltages over 4 wires. It may be easy, it may be hard. If you don't know what plug that is, we can't even tell you where to start looking.

if you like, you can buy a PS2-to-USB adapter/converter. This one is on Ebay Australia, perhaps you can find one closer - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Cable-Converter-For-PS2-Controller-to-PS3-PC-USB-Adapter-Converter-Cable-/191863703234?hash=item2cabf7c6c2:g:QucAAOSw2x1XKdsc

When you say "ps2" do you mean Playstation 2 or a PS/2 keyboard connection?

Can you post a photo of the existing connector?

If it's a PS/2 keyboard connection this will do:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262811140833

EDIT:

Some quick research on PS/2 connectors show they are normally 4 wires (max 6). So unlikely to be that.

Still, more photos of the existing connectors would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Edited by MarkOZLAD

Thx everybody.

I do have a Ps2 (playstation 2) adapter, but my point is to replace the wire so I don't need to use that adaptor.

I know that several people had replaced their original Playstation 2 plug for an USB just cutting the cords and re-wiring. Despite the ps2 has more than 4 wires, and the USB has only 4, there were still able to make it work. I don't know how they do it, but I believe that this is what I'm looking for.

BEst

I know that several people had replaced their original Playstation 2 plug for an USB just cutting the cords and re-wiring. Despite the ps2 has more than 4 wires, and the USB has only 4, there were still able to make it work. I don't know how they do it, but I believe that this is what I'm looking for.

If you find out, let us know how. That would imply you could do the same for a PS1. And then reverse it to use a USB controller on those systems.