Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

IJ POA Playfield Opto Switch

blown36

Question

25 answers to this question

Will these work on flipper opto boards as well?

Exercise caution using them on flipper boards. The originals were Schmidt trigger output and in some games using these as replacements will cause dodgy operation of the flippers and/or damage to the fliptronics board.

I have explained this in detail elsewhere - if interested a post I made shows the exact reasons to this butr basically the original optos switch down much harder that any replacements so additional circuitry is needed (as several makers of replacement flipper boards found out including me!)

Exercise caution using them on flipper boards. The originals were Schmidt trigger output and in some games using these as replacements will cause dodgy operation of the flippers and/or damage to the fliptronics board.

I have explained this in detail elsewhere - if interested a post I made shows the exact reasons to this butr basically the original optos switch down much harder that any replacements so additional circuitry is needed (as several makers of replacement flipper boards found out including me!)

Can you please provide a link to your post?

Are you after a flipper opto board? I have a brand new one I ordered as a spare. It's never been used.

I strongly suspect that is one of the dodgy ones. It "might work" but it equally "might not" work.

The following description is very simplified so please don't attack me if it isn't technically perfect:

They have used ordinary optos and they only switch down to around 3.5~4.5 volts - in some cases this is enough but in others it isn't.

I made a batch of similar ones years ago and when I discovered the problem (which it seems some others haven't yet) I threw them out, redesigned the board and replaced them for all that had bought.

You can see my original meter test that I made when I was looking for what was going on: In the first case 4.1V wasn't enough to be below the threshold for transition of TTL (5V is supply and half is 2.5V). The Fliptronics board is expecting to see LESS THAN 2.5V before it will transition.

My modified circuit gave me 1.5V and that 100% cured flutter and overheating problems being experienced. Further tweaking resulted in the final results shown on the LED meters with the low voltage being 9.8 to .71

These new boards work flawlessly and I would be very dubious about others that don't use additional circuitry to pull the voltage lower as the original optos have not been available for many years (they had extra circuitry built in to the opto package).

Anyway - all the above is for information only I am NOT trying to hang shit on any other product.

test2.jpg.263723177156794f7684ed8cb5cb98b9.jpg

test4.jpg.f690a5b0a3d692c25a3b42e681aa2ac6.jpg

typeone1.jpg.daafa8811468417ede931135ddb7cde0.jpg

typeone2.jpg.45c65dbe517785f3995c1a9f75008205.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Mike, I've never replaced any of my optos on the flipper boards & so I never encountered the problems you describe. I bought my board as a spare 10 years ago & still haven't used it.

No problem. It caused me a huge amount of head scratching at the time and cost me quite a lot of money as well.

Maybe the others have been lucky and haven't experienced the issue yet. I was probably lucky in that it happened on one of my own machines (BSD) but only intermittently. Therefore I was alerted to the issue early on. I didn't think it was too serious until a customer mentioned that he also had an intermittent issue with one of the new boards so I went looking for why?

Like I say - your board may well work perfectly but for the reasons I outline, it also may not.

Well maybe the optos are good or not I'm not sure. There OPB 12508 made in Mexico.

I couldn't find a datasheet for that part number but did find this:

OPB12508

TT Electronics

TT Electronics CUSTOM PRODUCT

So it's anyone's guess really unless someone has a datasheet that shows exactly what the part is?

The RS Components optos worked fine.

Game played perfectly for a couple of days, now I've got same problem I had a long time ago with it shooting all balls out, think it was the ball trough opto board.

I was just about ready to tackle TZ game rest problem. :realmad:

I wouldn't trust "XXX optos worked fine"

I have already explained why - you might be setting yourself, or an owner down the track, up for grief. Yes, opto XXX might work fine, today.

Take voltage measurements and make sure the flipper board voltages are pulling to the correct levels - otherwise you risk coil and driver board damage that may very well be impossible to locate.

What bothers me is that there are several places making replacement boards using unknown optos and that there is possibly going to be a lot of machines in a yer or two with intermittent flipper burnouts or issues that many will not be able to fault find.

I have already explained why - you might be setting yourself, or an owner down the track, up for grief. Yes, opto XXX might work fine, today.

Take voltage measurements and make sure the flipper board voltages are pulling to the correct levels - otherwise you risk coil and driver board damage that may very well be impossible to locate.

What bothers me is that there are several places making replacement boards using unknown optos and that there is possibly going to be a lot of machines in a yer or two with intermittent flipper burnouts or issues that many will not be able to fault find.

Are XXX optos only available in ACT and NT? :)

Yep, the POA is playing up again, now , where to get the right opto's?