State
      QLD
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      4 Post(s)
      Australia

Optical sensor for simple coin/token detection

Hi guys, I just thought I'd run this by you all to see if there's any advice... I'm looking to build a custom "coin slot" for my 4 player arcade cabinet, using this part
      http://www.electronickitsbychaneyele...?number=G18726
      suggested by this tutorial
      http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/porta...coin-acceptor/

I figure I don't want a real coin mech, not just because of the cost, but also I don't want real coin detection. I want to put most any coin sized object in and have it work. Eg. some plastic colour coded poker chips I bought - 4 colours, for each of the 4 players. Also I think a real coin mech will be too bulky for where I plan to mount the coin slot and I can keep it smaller with my own DIY solution.

Here's the reason I'm doing this;

I've made a 4 player arcade cabinet, it's going well, but when you play, say, the SNES version of Double Dragon (for example), once your lives are up, that's it. When you play the Arcade version of Double Dragon, suddenly you have to exercise self control so as not to cheapen the game by continually pressing the credit button and making the game easy (and therefore, boring).

People have "cheated" by pressing the credit button in the heat of the moment "Just one more!". And while everyone understands the concept of agreeing to a fixed amount of credits - it still feels awkward having to apply this self control when the "put credits to continue" counter is ticking down. Like "We could keep playing, but... we better obey the rules and stop now..." But to help with this, a nice little barrier of entry would be a simple coin mechanism. Not a real one, just something that requires you to put tokens in, and go to the trouble of opening a door underneath to get them all out again, rather than simply pressing a button to keep going. Once its dropped in, and the credit jingle plays, it creates more of a sense of commitment. To keep playing beyond those credits, rather than press a button, you'd have to duck under the cabinet between everyone's legs, and it's more obvious psychologically that you're circumventing the natural way the game is supposed to be played. It also gives your friends a chance to kick you while you're under there for trying to cheat while everyone else is still playing legit on their original credits Because they're good enough that they haven't died yet. It's a psychological thing.

This user has no status.

----

State
      New South Wales
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      159 Post(s)
      Australia
      Could just use these. That's what they are for, doesn't take much to trigger them, plastic should be enough.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

----

State
      QLD
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      4 Post(s)
      Australia

Heh that does seem like a good idea, but what's it called? So I know what to search for...

This user has no status.

----

State
      New South Wales
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      159 Post(s)
      Australia
      micro switch coin mech, rotary micro switch

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

is hereby granted the status
      of.....TECHSPERT

Secret

State
      Cairns
      Mentioned
      368 Post(s)
      Quoted
      3048 Post(s)
      Vatican

This user has no status.

----

State
      QLD
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      4 Post(s)
      Australia

Thanks guys. Appreciate the Ozstick link too, my usual go to is in2amusements, but they don't seem to have such a thing.

I'm going to consider both options - does anyone have an opinion on going the optical switch route?

of.....TECHSPERT

Secret

State
      Cairns
      Mentioned
      368 Post(s)
      Quoted
      3048 Post(s)
      Vatican
      Quote Originally Posted by Domarius View Post
      Thanks guys. Appreciate the Ozstick link too, my usual go to is in2amusements, but they don't seem to have such a thing.

I'm going to consider both options - does anyone have an opinion on going the optical switch route?
      K.I.S.S.

Optical switches are more complicated to wire and will give more problems long term.

This user has no status.

----

State
      QLD
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      4 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Homepin View Post
      K.I.S.S.

Optical switches are more complicated to wire and will give more problems long term.
      Serious?? Wow ok. See, I assumed optical would be simpler because doesn't matter how light the token is, so long as it will roll through the sensor it will trigger it.

With my little plastic tokens I'm wondering if their edge is too round and they are so light that they won't trigger that rotary switch lever. It could be that I should just invest in some decent metal tokens or just use actual silver coins. Which of course I will if it's better to use the rotary switch.

But what do you mean about problems long term? Is the optical part prone to failure?

is Lucky Phil

----

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      82 Post(s)
      Quoted
      646 Post(s)
      Australia
      An optical proximity switch will work and is completely sealed, light can break beam through or even proximity sensor on ebay, they are cheap but not really industrial quality or you'd be paying a very high price and it will do your job and sense plastic .But as others have said a micro switch is simple and proven to work, go with that super light action micro switch.

of.....TECHSPERT

Secret

State
      Cairns
      Mentioned
      368 Post(s)
      Quoted
      3048 Post(s)
      Vatican
      Some plastics are also transparent to the IR light used in optical switches - as WMS found to their horror with the flipper type 2 opto actuators.

The ones they made in white didn't work as the IR light shone straight through them.

A simple microswitch is easy to wire, easy to adjust and reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information