Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Can't remove torx bolt

Angle grinder, then drill it out and retap the thread.

If I had a dollar for all the Times Ive had todo that, lol.

If the vice grips fail out comes the Grinder and the drill, Might give the screw extractor ago if im feeling keen

A mix of all above. WD40 on the tread and try to screw it back in only so the WD40 can get into the thread of the nut and then continue trying to get it out with vice grips.

You have checked to see no nut is on the bolt the other side of the tapped thread haven't you?.

If still no go, 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder and try cutting a slot in the head for a large flat head screw driver, ( only if you have a large flat head screw driver with a square shaft you can get a shifter on the square shaft to turn)

Flat piece of steel, 5mm X 30mm with a hole drilled in it so it sits on, not over, the head of the bolt and mig weld the bolt head through the hole to the steel.

This will not only give you a large piece of flat steel welded to the bolt head to grab and turn but also heat the thread and heat always helps to free up bolts that are frozen.

If the bolt snaps, drill it out and retap the thread.

i've tried 2 ways for these fu*kers

1. I use a small flat blade screwdriver to go on the side of the raised centre into the two recesses

2. Took ages as torx bit didn't have the hole in the socket for the middle bit, I drilled one into it.

i've tried 2 ways for these fu*kers

1. I use a small flat blade screwdriver to go on the side of the raised centre into the two recesses

2. Took ages as torx bit didn't have the hole in the socket for the middle bit, I drilled one into it.

If it is a true anti tamper torx bolt, (anti tamper is the style with the center pin), it will be hardened.

Being hardened means it is hard but brittle.

Get a center punch, aim it at the side of the center pin on about a 45 degree angle and a good quick hit on the punch with a hammer and the center pin snaps clean off.;)

You will be surprised how easy it is to knock that center pin out using this method.

Tried an impact screwdriver?

Supercheap & Bunnings has cheap versions of them.

My old man (mechanic) used to spray WD40 on the bolt then bang it with the impact screwdriver. Only seen maybe 2 out of hundreds that he ended up having to drill out...

• 1 month later...